End of technical climbing?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Re: End of technical climbing?

Post by mtnkub »

Best of luck with this!! You had lot to overcome lately. But my money is on this does not spell the end of your technical climbing or of your adventures.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Good luck Scott! I hope the surgery goes well and you make a full recovery.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Keep on keepin’ on brotha.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Good luck, Scott, get better.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

That really looks serious. I hope everything turns out well with your surgery. Let us know the results.

FWIW
Back in my late 20s I had a "growth" on my left arm between my elbow and bicep. It caused pain and I had a biopsy. According to the physician it was just a benign tumor. A few months later it had grown and the pain was intense. I had moved in the intervening months and went to another physician who diagnosed it. I had an infected pocket in my arm. I assume the first physician did not push the biopsy needle in deep enough to reach the pus and junk deep within my arm. After a course of antibiotics, this doctor lanced it and squeezed out all of the nasty stuff in my arm, and then filled it with packing. Eventually the packing was removed, and while I have an ugly scar, my arm has been fully functional since then. What you have there looks much worse, but I hope the results of having it fully treated are as good as mine were.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

Please keep us updated.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Good luck Scott. It’s all up to your decision and how you recover now. Hopefully things will turn for the better soon.
Be the best you that you can be.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

are your cultures back yet?
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Hoping and praying that all goes well for you, Scott. May you make a strong and complete recovery, and may you return to climbing full force.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

ekalina wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:50 am Scott, sorry you're dealing with this, and I wish you a full and rapid recovery. I would say try not to jump to conclusions about what you will and won't be able to do once it's removed, especially if the doctors aren't willing to make any statements of that nature either. It is easy to feel like the outlook is grim when in the midst of some illness/injury/condition, but given time and modern medicine the body can heal many things.
Agreed! After it’s removed, PT, and healing, things might be better than you’d expect. Praying that you might have a good outcome.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I got my tumor removed yesterday. It went well. I can't use my right arm for up to a month or so, but hopefully I'll recover after that. I hope to be climbing and/or canyoneering by September. Until then it's probably just hiking.

Anyway, thanks for the best wishes everyone. Hopefully I can be less cranky now.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

Hell yeah!