Oldest American 75 Summits Everest

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Oldest American 75 Summits Everest

Post by desertdog »

I thought the group would find this interesting. My friend Art Muir at 75 this morning became the oldest American to summit Mount Everest. I first met Art on Aconcagua. He was coming down. I was going up. We hit it off over dinner. Art is very humble and a great guy. We attempted Everest together in 2019, but he fell into a crevasse which ended his summit bid. I can't think of a better person to complete this accomplishment.

Everest has had its share of controversy and haters over the years. Admittedly, some of it justified. I'm not really up for that debate today. One thing Everest is, it is hard both mentally and physically. I think that Art stuck with it and got up that big hill is just incredible and motivating! Big Congrats to him!

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/old ... le-everest
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Oldest American 75 Summits Everest

Post by TomPierce »

Agreed, great accomplishment! That's a lot of tenacity, I have massive respect for your friend.

-Tom
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Oldest American 75 Summits Everest

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Like Phil winning the PGA today, a hearty congrats to both!