Front Pointing on Strap-On Crampons

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Front Pointing on Strap-On Crampons

Post by susanjoypaul »

Altitude High wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:43 pm
Wildernessjane wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:09 pm On a side note, I used strap on crampons with my Oboz this past winter and that didn’t play out so well. I wouldn’t recommend it.
What was it about the Oboz that didn't go well with the strap ons?
I have Oboz and crampon-compatible La Sportivas. The Oboz are too flexible to hold a crampon. I use microspikes on those and crampons on the more rigid La Sportivas.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I have to use semi-automatic crampons on my Dynafit ski boots (only because Dynafits have a speed nose instead of toe lug, a major design flaw as far as I am concerned) and it's much inferior setup as compared to step-ins. On soft snow it's not very noticeable, but on lengthy steep icy snow it definitely becomes an issue as the front part of the crampon shifts. It's slightly better setup than strap-ons, which I had to get rid off, they were basically unusable with ski boots.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Front pointing: where heavy boots come into their own!
Snowalien, I love Dynafit TLT boots, but refuse to buy those dumb “shark nose” models.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Bale wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:36 am Front pointing: where heavy boots come into their own!
Snowalien, I love Dynafit TLT boots, but refuse to buy those dumb “shark nose” models.
TLTs are definitely NOT heavy haha, with a range of motion of a trailrunner (although I obviously cinch them down for a snow climb, otherwise it kills my calves). Pretty bummed that they decided to go with a speed nose on Hojis as well :(
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

SnowAlien wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:54 am
Bale wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:36 am Front pointing: where heavy boots come into their own!
TLTs are definitely NOT heavy haha, with a range of motion of a trailrunner (although I obviously cinch them down for a snow climb, otherwise it kills my calves). Pretty bummed that they decided to go with a speed nose on Hojis as well :(
I love ‘em! I still have two pair of TLT6p’s, the lime green and the later black and orange ones. I don’t even use the additional tongues, though my newer pair have Intuition liners which I think help the skiability. Idk what I will do when they wear out.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

SnowAlien wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:57 am I have to use semi-automatic crampons on my Dynafit ski boots (only because Dynafits have a speed nose instead of toe lug, a major design flaw as far as I am concerned) and it's much inferior setup as compared to step-ins. On soft snow it's not very noticeable, but on lengthy steep icy snow it definitely becomes an issue as the front part of the crampon shifts. It's slightly better setup than strap-ons, which I had to get rid off, they were basically unusable with ski boots.
I would suggest you have a poor fitment of your crampons. People crank pretty hard on semi-autos.
One final note: I often am asked why I used “neumatic” style G-12 crampons on Nanga Parbat. Simple answer. They were/are lighter than the ones with the steel toe bail.
https://www.uphillathlete.com/forums/to ... -climbing/
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Bale wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:03 am
SnowAlien wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:54 am
I love ‘em! I still have two pair of TLT6p’s, the lime green and the later black and orange ones. I don’t even use the additional tongues, though my newer pair have Intuition liners which I think help the skiability. Idk what I will do when they wear out.
I love mine also! I had TLT5s (with toe bails- woo!) and almost done with TLT8s, the locking mechanism is starting to wear off, on my 2nd liner also. Looking at Hojis as the next boot since they don't make TLTs anymore...

Conor - I'll take another look, they feel pretty snug when I put them on, it just seems difficult to find a good fit between a plastic shell and a toe strap, speed nose is shaped like a bullet.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

susanjoypaul wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:05 pm
Altitude High wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:43 pm
Wildernessjane wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:09 pm On a side note, I used strap on crampons with my Oboz this past winter and that didn’t play out so well. I wouldn’t recommend it.
What was it about the Oboz that didn't go well with the strap ons?
I have Oboz and crampon-compatible La Sportivas. The Oboz are too flexible to hold a crampon. I use microspikes on those and crampons on the more rigid La Sportivas.
I suspect it’s more to do with the shape of the boot than the flexibility. For this class of boot, I actually think the Oboz are fairly stiff (obviously not in comparison to a mountaineering boot though) which is one of the things I really like about them. For the record, these are the Oboz Bridger Insulated 9 boots. I’ve worn strap on crampons with softer boots/shoes and not had a problem.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?