curious static noise (ringing in ears)?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Shane_R
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

curious static noise (ringing in ears)?

Post by Shane_R »

3 times during 14ers this year, I've had a strange thing that hadn't happened in previous years. I felt fine but heard a static-like noise in my ears. Not exactly "ringing" but similar. The best thing I can compare it to is when you're snorkeling or diving and you hear a small boat motor. Anyone else experienced this?

This happened most recently on Thursday. I first heard it when I was ascending around 13Kft, but also heard it sporadically back down at 11Kft, at which point I noted my heart rate was not very elevated (about 90bpm), though I was breathing heavily. I don't see this listed as a symptom of altitude sickness (which I've never had an issue with). Prior to this year, my most recent 14er was 2.5 years ago so maybe some health / aging change since then? Or just a common thing?
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: curious static noise (ringing in ears)?

Post by Dave B »

Assuming you live in CO, consistent changes in elevation can create inner ear problems. I was having some minor pain and a loud squeek and pop every time I blew my nose for a while, went to see an ENT and they said these kinds of things are common in CO where it's so easy to gain lose 5k+ elevation several times a week - constant pressure changes can wreak havoc... I moved to Boise where recreation involves smaller elevation changes, and lower elevations overall, and it went away. The ear problem came back shortly after moving back to CO.

But really, you should go see a doctor. Sounds like it could also be tinnitis.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

I've had this even at low elevations. Could be the great hum? If that's the case then it's not an issue. I'd still advise you to investigate and see if you notice it again.
Be the best you that you can be.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

As long as you're okay when you use the microwave...........
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Have you been to Cuba or live near an embassy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana_syndrome
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Usually when a storm is forming in the high alpine.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

those of us out east have been experiencing a lot of static and ringing in the ears lately. we call it "cicadas".
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

It could be earwax blockage. I had that happen to me last year for the first time. Apparently it becomes more common as you age. But surely, my earbuds didn't help either. I had to see an ENT to get it cleaned as OTC products didn't work.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:27 am those of us out east have been experiencing a lot of static and ringing in the ears lately. we call it "cicadas".
I had a good laugh with this comment! My wife is a Denver native and has never experienced cicadas so I was trying to explain the plague like 17 year cycle they come out on. "Sounds disgusting..." The lack of bugs and water is CO is something I miss about growing up in WV.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:27 am those of us out east have been experiencing a lot of static and ringing in the ears lately. we call it "cicadas".
And the locusts sang, yeah, it give me a chill
Oh, the locusts sang such a sweet melody
Oh, the locusts sang that high whining trill
Yeah, the locusts sang, and they were singin' for me
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Tinnitus is common long term symptom of covid.
Doctors dont know why.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

peter303 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:32 pm Tinnitus is common long term symptom of covid.
Doctors dont know why.
I think nearly any sentence with "long term" and "covid" is most likely premature.