Climate Change

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Climate change:

is happening and is a direct consequence of industrialism and overpopulation over the last 200yrs and if we do nothing, humans are going to live in dramatically different, inhospitable conditions over the next 200yrs, think Mad Max
69%
is happening and is just a natural cycle of the earth and environment, will happen again once we are long gone, and possibly not much we can do about it except maybe at the margin
16%
is likely happening and we just currently lack sufficient information over a long enough period to draw an accurate conclusion of the extent that humans have possibly impacted its potential acceleration
12%
is Hogwash, what climate change? It's the media and politicians trying to scare us or sway votes and public opinion. EVs? I don't even like charging my phone.
3%

Total votes: 116
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Climate Change

Post by mtnkub »

ker0uac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:14 pm
cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:00 pm my point is you're crazy, and a snowflake
Well, maybe you should quit thinking you are special coz you saw the writing on the wall that millions of others didn't before you call me a snowflake?
And from what did your derive that CM thinks he's special?
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Doing14ers wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:47 pm Pine beetle damage, from my understanding, is exacerbated by climate change. Warmer temps allow beetles to breed three times a year instead of two times. So, it’s a crisis for 14ers already.
So too much sex can be a problem.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

ker0uac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:18 pm
cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:04 pm
ker0uac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 pm Per the CDC, you don't need to wear masks outside, but I am not gonna engage in this discussion. If you don't trust the CDC, then I'll just label you a Science-denier.

"The CDC says that whether they are fully vaccinated or not, people do not have to wear masks outdoors when they walk, bike or run alone or with members of their household. They can also go maskless in small outdoor gatherings with fully vaccinated people."
https://apnews.com/article/cdc-mask-wea ... 9428b59634

Interesting that when I mentioned the guy who I saw walking OUTSIDE AND ALONE for about 5 minutes while wearing mask, most people jumped in to defend him. Those people brought up extenuating circumstances to void my argument that he wasn't following Science: "oh maybe he's immuno-compromised", "oh maybe he was just visiting someone who is immuno-compromised", "oh maybe he forgot it after leaving a store", blah blah. Lots of understanding and tolerance towards that guy. Yet, when someone doesn't agree 100% with the climate change crowd, that same crowd immediately piles on to insult and humiliate him. Seems like a double standard. Is it possible that maybe that person doesn't trust liberal media or Democrats when they talk about climate change? White blue-collar conservatives are being left behind by an economy that no longer provides the jobs that once catered to them. They grew up in small towns and never left for the cities, they didn't go to college and didn't really need to as there were plenty of jobs that paid enough to afford their lifestyle. Now, progress is being pushed down their throat by intellectuals who are the very same ones profiting from such progress. The green energy revolution doesn't need blue collar workers. Manufacturing needed for green energy is sent to Asia. Production isn't labor intensive. Green energy requires highly qualified workers, far from the type who grew up working in coal mines and oil fields. But decades ago when green energy was just an idea, those blue collars were the ones powering your houses and enabling your consumerism. They were well respected and even Hollywood would portray them in movies and shows with a positive tone. Shows like Honeymooners and Roseanne don't exist anymore. Blue collar workers nowadays are barely portrayed in movies and shows, and when they are, it is usually as backward and dumb. Now you don't need blue collar workers anymore coz you got your Teslas, your wind and solar power, and you got your slave labor in Asia to enable your even greater consumerism, so f**k them right? f**k those dumbtards who can't understand Science because we rewarded them handsomely to do the blue collar jobs that we didn't want to do thus keeping them out of higher education. f**k them and make them get used to leaving their small towns to go college and take on office jobs. And those who can't adapt, well, f**k them.
Are you ok? The entirety of your argument is nullified because people can wear masks for any reason they want to
That's exactly the double standard I was referring to. When conservatives don't follow science and facts, they are insulted and humiliated. When liberals don't follow science and facts, "oh well, there are various reasons for why". Surveys have shown that Democrats get the covid risks more wrong than Republicans, but I am sure ya'll have a perfectly fine explanation for why that is the case.
when a guy walking alone outside is wearing a mask, he's not hurting anyone.
when republicans spend decades denying climate change and opposing any measures to prevent it, to attract campaign donations from oil/gas companies, the world burns to a crisp.
slight difference.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
SunNFun
14ers: 7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SunNFun »

John Kerry- US Special Presidential Envoy of Climate, a man that owns 6 homes, 12 cars, 2 yachts and of course his private jet.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

And yes I'll take a rotten tomato to the face for bringing this dud of a thread back to the top. Political discussions really bring out the worst message board behavior. I wish it was discouraged. The ability to listen, disagree tactfully, and graciously accept another person's point of view is almost entirely devoid.

I've asked for advice (I need a lot) and some of you same people have been very engaging.

If you want to belittle and castigate someone let's talk about my route finding. To contact me personally I can be reached 150 feet off any 14er trail struggling to escape a pile of rocks.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb