Climate Change

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Climate change:

is happening and is a direct consequence of industrialism and overpopulation over the last 200yrs and if we do nothing, humans are going to live in dramatically different, inhospitable conditions over the next 200yrs, think Mad Max
69%
is happening and is just a natural cycle of the earth and environment, will happen again once we are long gone, and possibly not much we can do about it except maybe at the margin
16%
is likely happening and we just currently lack sufficient information over a long enough period to draw an accurate conclusion of the extent that humans have possibly impacted its potential acceleration
12%
is Hogwash, what climate change? It's the media and politicians trying to scare us or sway votes and public opinion. EVs? I don't even like charging my phone.
3%

Total votes: 116
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Climate Change

Post by crossfitter »

Dave B wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:40 am
crossfitter wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:05 am but the true extent of the crisis is unknown, generated by models of dubious accuracy, and likely exaggerated in both timescale and severity
I dunno man, they seem pretty damn accurate to me (assessment of accuracy from climate models included in 2004 IPCC report):

ClimateModels.JPG

I am more interested in the actual outcomes than the temperature trend itself. I'm not disputing the increase in temperature from CO2 emissions or the qualitative effects that causes, but rather the magnitude of the impact on human civilization, and having that contrasted with the negative effects of various mitigation efforts.

For example, if we stop all carbon emissions today and return to subsistence farming, did we win? Or are we already so dependent on our energy economy that abandoning it will just cause massive food price increases and result in famine anyway, all while China and the rest of the developing world plows right on ahead and the end result is we knee-capped ourselves for nothing but good feelings.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

crossfitter wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:39 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:12 am
crossfitter wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:05 am Option E) Climate change is real and man-caused and generally negative, but the true extent of the crisis is unknown, generated by models of dubious accuracy, and likely exaggerated in both timescale and severity, as is every other mass hysteria (see: Corona). Most of the proposed solutions suck and are varying combinations of impractical, ineffective, or sufficiently austere as to generate similar levels of human suffering as climate change itself.

It's not going to be mad max. Wealthy countries will build, innovate, and adapt. Poor countries will suffer, and more people are probably going to die from human conflict than they will from a climate apocalypse. We're certainly not all gonna die in 12 years.

I find it quite amusing that the same people that think we're going to make shithole Mars habitable don't think we can deal with a 2C higher global temperature, and that CO2 is going to bring about the end times, but it's still not worth considering nuclear as a way out.
the future i see is that most poor countries will have food/water/energy shortages and their citizens will migrate. the "border crisis" as is reported by right wing outlets will look like a joke to what is going to happen in the future. Americans are also dumb in groups, so if there is any resource scarcity people will hoard, we had a shortage of toilet paper for months just based on rumors/hoarding.

most countries are using up their groundwater at unsustainable rates, rivers fed by glaciers are in decline, and you cant pump desalinated water thousands of miles inland efficiently
I agree. Which would imply that it would be prudent to have a strong military and border controls to ensure our own survival and success. Ideally we mitigate that outcome, but it's good to have a plan B just in case plan A doesn't work out.
as far as climate change is concerned, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. it would be easier to just pollute less
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

crossfitter wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:05 am I find it quite amusing that the same people that think we're going to make shithole Mars habitable don't think we can deal with a 2C higher global temperature, and that CO2 is going to bring about the end times, but it's still not worth considering nuclear as a way out.
crossfitter wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:56 amFor example, if we stop all carbon emissions today and return to subsistence farming, did we win? Or are we already so dependent on our energy economy that abandoning it will just cause massive food price increases and result in famine anyway, all while China and the rest of the developing world plows right on ahead and the end result is we knee-capped ourselves for nothing but good feelings.
We should start burning all this straw, sheesh.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

As I have said, I have no issues with addressing it, but we should balance out the impacts of climate policies with the impacts of climate change itself. 70% of the people on this thread think we are imminently headed towards a post apocalyptic hellscape due to unwavering faith in highly questionable predictions, and that colors the sort of extreme policies that are on the table. This is exactly the same as shutting down the entire world at all costs- damn the consequences - because you truly believe 10% of the population is about to die. What if you are wrong?

Until nuclear is on the table in combination with other solutions, I don't believe someone when they claim to believe CO2 is heralding the end times. If you don't at least consider that as a potential solution, you either don't really believe it will be that bad, or you're just parroting the cult-like Kool aid.
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers

Doing14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Doing14ers »

Bill Gates says we need nuclear in his recent book.

I thought is was a good book and a quick read. Addresses many of these topics. He makes the case that we definitely need to be assessing the issue.
supranihilest
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

crossfitter wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:26 am As I have said, I have no issues with addressing it
Through bad faith arguments and strawmen.
we should balance out the impacts of climate policies with the impacts of climate change itself.
Again, your strawmen don't go with this point. You're acting like climate policies themselves are the apocalypse you claim others believe climate change to be.
70% of the people on this thread think we are imminently headed towards a post apocalyptic hellscape due to unwavering faith in highly questionable predictions
Did you read the poll? It says over 200 years. I wouldn't call that imminent. No, I am not saying I don't think climate change is serious and that we shouldn't do something about it yesterday, so don't bother suggesting that's what I said.
and that colors the sort of extreme policies that are on the table.
Yeah... those extreme policies like... trying to reduce the impact of factory farming and using energy efficient appliances and lowering vehicle emissions.
This is exactly the same as shutting down the entire world at all costs- damn the consequences - because you truly believe 10% of the population is about to die.
Strawman, the entire world did not shut down at all costs damn the consequences. You lose credibility with bad faith arguments like this.
What if you are wrong?
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (58.65 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Until nuclear is on the table in combination with other solutions, I don't believe someone when they claim to believe CO2 is heralding the end times. If you don't at least consider that as a potential solution, you either don't really believe it will be that bad, or you're just parroting the cult-like Kool aid.
I think we should take advantage of nuclear power more myself. Saying that nuclear power skeptics don't believe climate change is that bad is another strawman and saying that they're drinking the Kool-aid is just a straight up ad hominem.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

rijaca wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:20 am
painless4u2 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:06 am "Masks may not be necessary when you and the person you are caring for are outside and away from others."
[/https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html]

You guys keep digging. Your non-rational thinking is getting you a deeper hole.
I have a ex-neighbor/friend who's father is in the hospital with COVID because he refused to get vaccinated. Another consequence of non-critical thinking.
So you are suggesting he caught Covid-19 while outside and alone?
Dig away... ](*,)
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

highpilgrim wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:39 am
crossfitter wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:05 am Wealthy countries will build, innovate, and adapt.
And the wealthy people in those countries, including ours, will do ok. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in our country who will not have access to the resources that this wealth provides. Accountability is coming for us, like it or not. But not in fair measure to all...
crossfitter Antoinette wrote:Let them eat A/C.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

painless4u2 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:53 am
painless4u2 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:06 am "Masks may not be necessary when you and the person you are caring for are outside and away from others."

I have a ex-neighbor/friend who's father is in the hospital with COVID because he refused to get vaccinated. Another consequence of non-critical thinking.
Dig away... ](*,)
No. Are you're reading comprehension skills that poor? They were two separate points regarding non-critical thinking. Hence, two separate paragraphs. ](*,) ](*,)
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
supranihilest
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

Dig away... ](*,)
Imagine getting this perturbed over an anecdote of a person doing something that has no effect on you whatsoever.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

supranihilest wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:51 am
crossfitter wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:26 am As I have said, I have no issues with addressing it
Through bad faith arguments and strawmen.
we should balance out the impacts of climate policies with the impacts of climate change itself.
Again, your strawmen don't go with this point. You're acting like climate policies themselves are the apocalypse you claim others believe climate change to be.
70% of the people on this thread think we are imminently headed towards a post apocalyptic hellscape due to unwavering faith in highly questionable predictions
Did you read the poll? It says over 200 years. I wouldn't call that imminent. No, I am not saying I don't think climate change is serious and that we shouldn't do something about it yesterday, so don't bother suggesting that's what I said.
and that colors the sort of extreme policies that are on the table.
Yeah... those extreme policies like... trying to reduce the impact of factory farming and using energy efficient appliances and lowering vehicle emissions.
This is exactly the same as shutting down the entire world at all costs- damn the consequences - because you truly believe 10% of the population is about to die.
Strawman, the entire world did not shut down at all costs damn the consequences. You lose credibility with bad faith arguments like this.
What if you are wrong?
unnamed.jpg
I think we should take advantage of nuclear power more myself. Saying that nuclear power skeptics don't believe climate change is that bad is another strawman and saying that they're drinking the Kool-aid is just a straight up ad hominem.
You may have noticed I enjoy using hyperbole for effect. But the fact that this poll doesn't even have an option between "the climate god will smite us, repent ye unbeliever" and "global warming is a Chinese hoax" sort of proves my point. People absolutely hate hearing someone say that the end is not nigh, and they bring out the pitch forks if you aren't on board with any and all climate mitigation plans, hence cult-like behavior.

We spend a whole lot of mental effort and virtue signaling over dumb s**t like unplugging wall-warts and promoting low -flush toilets that take 3 tries to get the job done, while completely ignoring the big ticket items that actually matter - things like tuning a blind eye towards china and India, or growing almonds in the f***ing desert. But those electric vehicles charged on coal-powered electrical grids probably help too.

rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

supranihilest wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:59 am

Dig away... ](*,)
Imagine getting this perturbed over an anecdotal person doing something that has no effect on you whatsoever.
I agree. I really don't care anymore if you wear a mask or not, unless it's required. Then play by the rules. And to get bothered by someone that chooses to wear a mask (for any reason) is as judgmental as it gets, I do get a kick out of peeps that wear a mask yet don't have it cover their nose. Why then bother with the mask?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"