Climate Change

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Climate change:

is happening and is a direct consequence of industrialism and overpopulation over the last 200yrs and if we do nothing, humans are going to live in dramatically different, inhospitable conditions over the next 200yrs, think Mad Max
69%
is happening and is just a natural cycle of the earth and environment, will happen again once we are long gone, and possibly not much we can do about it except maybe at the margin
16%
is likely happening and we just currently lack sufficient information over a long enough period to draw an accurate conclusion of the extent that humans have possibly impacted its potential acceleration
12%
is Hogwash, what climate change? It's the media and politicians trying to scare us or sway votes and public opinion. EVs? I don't even like charging my phone.
3%

Total votes: 116
Doing14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climate Change

Post by Doing14ers »

Gates’ book was great but also annoying that you have to pay for it. You would think he could give out a free PDF.
Doing14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Doing14ers »

Pine beetle damage, from my understanding, is exacerbated by climate change. Warmer temps allow beetles to breed three times a year instead of two times. So, it’s a crisis for 14ers already.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

ker0uac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 pm Per the CDC, you don't need to wear masks outside, but I am not gonna engage in this discussion. If you don't trust the CDC, then I'll just label you a Science-denier.

"The CDC says that whether they are fully vaccinated or not, people do not have to wear masks outdoors when they walk, bike or run alone or with members of their household. They can also go maskless in small outdoor gatherings with fully vaccinated people."
https://apnews.com/article/cdc-mask-wea ... 9428b59634

Interesting that when I mentioned the guy who I saw walking OUTSIDE AND ALONE for about 5 minutes while wearing mask, most people jumped in to defend him. Those people brought up extenuating circumstances to void my argument that he wasn't following Science: "oh maybe he's immuno-compromised", "oh maybe he was just visiting someone who is immuno-compromised", "oh maybe he forgot it after leaving a store", blah blah. Lots of understanding and tolerance towards that guy. Yet, when someone doesn't agree 100% with the climate change crowd, that same crowd immediately piles on to insult and humiliate him. Seems like a double standard. Is it possible that maybe that person doesn't trust liberal media or Democrats when they talk about climate change? White blue-collar conservatives are being left behind by an economy that no longer provides the jobs that once catered to them. They grew up in small towns and never left for the cities, they didn't go to college and didn't really need to as there were plenty of jobs that paid enough to afford their lifestyle. Now, progress is being pushed down their throat by intellectuals who are the very same ones profiting from such progress. The green energy revolution doesn't need blue collar workers. Manufacturing needed for green energy is sent to Asia. Production isn't labor intensive. Green energy requires highly qualified workers, far from the type who grew up working in coal mines and oil fields. But decades ago when green energy was just an idea, those blue collars were the ones powering your houses and enabling your consumerism. They were well respected and even Hollywood would portray them in movies and shows with a positive tone. Shows like Honeymooners and Roseanne don't exist anymore. Blue collar workers nowadays are barely portrayed in movies and shows, and when they are, it is usually as backward and dumb. Now you don't need blue collar workers anymore coz you got your Teslas, your wind and solar power, and you got your slave labor in Asia to enable your even greater consumerism, so f**k them right? f**k those dumbtards who can't understand Science because we rewarded them handsomely to do the blue collar jobs that we didn't want to do thus keeping them out of higher education. f**k them and make them get used to leaving their small towns to go college and take on office jobs. And those who can't adapt, well, f**k them.

You mad bro?
Make wilderness less accessible.
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

Wow, this thread has managed to become almost as much of a dumpster fire as the one on COVID-19 awhile back.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

ker0uac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:30 pm Per the CDC, you don't need to wear masks outside, but I am not gonna engage in this discussion. If you don't trust the CDC, then I'll just label you a Science-denier.

"The CDC says that whether they are fully vaccinated or not, people do not have to wear masks outdoors when they walk, bike or run alone or with members of their household. They can also go maskless in small outdoor gatherings with fully vaccinated people."

Interesting that when I mentioned the guy who I saw walking OUTSIDE AND ALONE for about 5 minutes while wearing mask, most people jumped in to defend him. Those people brought up extenuating circumstances to void my argument that he wasn't following Science: "oh maybe he's immuno-compromised", "oh maybe he was just visiting someone who is immuno-compromised", "oh maybe he forgot it after leaving a store", blah blah. Lots of understanding and tolerance towards that guy. Yet, when someone doesn't agree 100% with the climate change crowd, that same crowd immediately piles on to insult and humiliate him. Seems like a double standard. Is it possible that maybe that person doesn't trust liberal media or Democrats when they talk about climate change? White blue-collar conservatives are being left behind by an economy that no longer provides the jobs that once catered to them. They grew up in small towns and never left for the cities, they didn't go to college and didn't really need to as there were plenty of jobs that paid enough to afford their lifestyle. Now, progress is being pushed down their throat by intellectuals who are the very same ones profiting from such progress. The green energy revolution doesn't need blue collar workers. Manufacturing needed for green energy is sent to Asia. Production isn't labor intensive. Green energy requires highly qualified workers, far from the type who grew up working in coal mines and oil fields. But decades ago when green energy was just an idea, those blue collars were the ones powering your houses and enabling your consumerism. They were well respected and even Hollywood would portray them in movies and shows with a positive tone. Shows like Honeymooners and Roseanne don't exist anymore. Blue collar workers nowadays are barely portrayed in movies and shows, and when they are, it is usually as backward and dumb. Now you don't need blue collar workers anymore coz you got your Teslas, your wind and solar power, and you got your slave labor in Asia to enable your even greater consumerism, so f**k them right? f**k those dumbtards who can't understand Science because we rewarded them handsomely to do the blue collar jobs that we didn't want to do thus keeping them out of higher education. f**k them and make them get used to leaving their small towns to go college and take on office jobs. And those who can't adapt, well, f**k them.
Are you ok? The entirety of your argument is nullified because people can wear masks for any reason they want to
cottonmountaineering
Trip Reports (1)

Some people are wearing masks because of pollen right now lol
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:33 am
ker0uac wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:09 pm Let's talk California, where 11% of Americans live, where most of the wealthy lives, and where Democrats have a tight grip on all levels of government. California is the second highest emitter of CO2. Los Angeles has the largest urban oil field in the United States, smacked right in the middle of the city, a total eye sore. California has the worst and largest wildfires in the country. California is in a quasi-permanent state of drought. Also, California is on its the 5th largest economy in the world. But yea, the climate change deniers rednecks rolling coal are the ones keeping the country from addressing climate change.
wait, are you actually trying to say that because CA is more affected by climate change, that means they're more responsible for creating climate change? talk about naive...
No, I am saying they are one of the worst offenders and haven't done much about it besides virtue signaling. The hills around LA are dominated by mansions and ranches sucking power from transformers and power lines that have to be routed through fire-prone areas. They want to eliminate the fossil fuel industry and eliminate blue collar job, but they certainly won't dare to bother the wealthy. But the hypocrisy isn't just limited to climate. CA has no wealth tax and has the worst homeless and affordable housing crisis, yet Nancy Pelosi who is from CA is campaigning for a federal wealth tax. If liberal policies being proposed are so good, why they are not implemented in CA where there's no opposition.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
cottonmountaineering
Trip Reports (1)

Show me on the doll where the mask touched you
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:10 pm Show me on the doll where the mask touched you

:lol: =D>
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:04 pm

Are you ok? The entirety of your argument is nullified because people can wear masks for any reason they want to
That's exactly the double standard I was referring to. When conservatives don't follow science and facts, they are insulted and humiliated. When liberals don't follow science and facts, "oh well, there are various reasons for why". Surveys have shown that Democrats get the covid risks more wrong than Republicans, but I am sure ya'll have a perfectly fine explanation for why that is the case.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Doing14ers wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:47 pm Pine beetle damage, from my understanding, is exacerbated by climate change. Warmer temps allow beetles to breed three times a year instead of two times. So, it’s a crisis for 14ers already.
Nah, pine beetles are just a liberal conspiracy perpetuated by the media to convince you to buy into their evil climate change narrative.
But really, I could show you pics of forests from a mere fifteen years ago to now that will break your heart. I saw some near Creede, CO that were particularly bad. (Hey Scott P, have you seen Henry’s Fork, Uintas lately?)
And for the record, I am totally for nuclear energy. Something needs to be done quickly. I am sitting here at 7600ft watching my local mountain burn because it’s 90 degrees F and dry as a bone in mid-JUNE! How’s that for a “model”.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

ker0uac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:18 pm Surveys have shown that Democrats get the covid risks more wrong than Republicans, but I am sure ya'll have a perfectly fine explanation for why that is the case.
Do you have a link to such a survey?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.