Why did you move to Colorado?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Why did you move to Colorado?

Post by montanahiker »

After college I left Montana and bounced around different states for a decade. When I moved back I realized the job market still sucked so I came to Colorado for work/mountains. It's a great 2nd choice and at this point I probably wouldn't move back to Montana if I had the chance.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Jenna N S
14ers: 36  2 
13ers: 24 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jenna N S »

I was running away from home (Oregon) at 23.

My parents are radical "christians" who are firm believers that women are to stay in their father's home until an appropriate husband has been chosen for them. I was given a small window of opportunity during some strange events in the house and took a job for Vail that came with housing and transportation options. I'd never been to Colorado before then.

Almost 10 years later I've learned how to function in a world I never thought I'd be a part of and learned how to snowboard, workout, hike, and climb. All things I wasn't allowed to do as a kid due to being a "weaker vessel."

It's f*cking awesome!!
"They say that time is a great teacher but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. The mountains are also great teachers, and better still, they let the occasional star pupil live." Mark Lawrence King of Thorns
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

^ Wow, that IS f*cking awesome indeed!
Me, moved to Denver for a great job that i still have. But the mountains played a big part in me applying for that job in the first place.
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

I moved here mostly for the mountains, and partially because I found a job I liked.

But the real reason is I wanted to piss off some natives.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

it sounded like a good idea.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Grew up in Arizona and bounced around after high school. Got my dream job in Denver after training Atlanta 15 years ago and will never leave!
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

In California it's not even what state you were born in but which side of town you live on that determines whether you're "allowed" at certain surf breaks. And if you break the unwritten rules, you don't get dirty looks and snide remarks, your car gets vandalized and you might get your ass kicked. I thought I'd move somewhere where nativism and territorialism isn't really an issue.
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

I moved up to Salida from south Louisiana to ride my mountain bike. Then I discovered peak bagging and mountain biking has taken a back seat since
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I left the Land of Enchantment to smoke legal weed, be a homeless drain on society, and make traffic worse. /s

Colorado fits my hobbies best, has lots of winter sunshine, and little humidity. I was already coming here most every weekend before I moved.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Moved here in 1985 to cover the Tim Wirth vs. Ken Kramer US Senate race, which was decided by <17,000 votes. At that time Colorado was a primo place for political reporters because the electorate was so purple and the top elected officials from both parties were smart, capable, and nationally famous (Gary Hart, Dick Lamm, Pat Schroeder, Bill Armstrong, Hank Brown, Ben Nighthorse Campbell.) Things have changed.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

My job transferred from California to Houston where "topography" is running ten feet up a bayou bank.
Had a Colorado opportunity a couple years thereafter.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Moved here in 2005 for grad school, having only visited a couple of times on ski trips. I was super excited to get my season pass and use all my free time snowboarding. The following summer, I stumbled upon this website and found out that people actually climb these mountains! (I had no idea - I had spent the whole of my life up to that point in the deep south and midwest, had never seen a mountain with a treeline until I was 20, and thought the only mountains anyone ever climbed were things like Mt. Everest. :lol: Blew my mind finding out there was a trail to the top of Pikes Peak!)
I guess I'm a classic case of "come for the winters, stay for the summers." I can't even remember how long its been since I've used that snowboard (at least 10 years?) - not that I don't want to, but my interests in the mountains have definitely shifted since that summer of '06.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir