What's with the haze?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: What's with the haze?

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I'm honestly not even quite sure what to do anymore to mitigate the impact of this as an asthmatic. I try to stay off peaks during bad days but right now even running in town is tough. I have an expensive Respro mask but while I can hike with it on its significantly harder.

If this is the new normal its going to suck for those with respiratory issues.
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

the smoke has worked it's way across the nation. we had it bad in SW Michigan last week...

current smoke plume from Airnow.gov-
Attachments
smoke.jpg
smoke.jpg (188.08 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton
mathguy
14ers: 9 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mathguy »

Oh so that's what's going on with the view in the RMNP Continental Divide web cam.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:46 pm I'm honestly not even quite sure what to do anymore to mitigate the impact of this as an asthmatic. I try to stay off peaks during bad days but right now even running in town is tough. I have an expensive Respro mask but while I can hike with it on its significantly harder.

If this is the new normal its going to suck for those with respiratory issues.
It is terrible for yet another year in the entire west. The only real option is to move to the East coast where is actually rains. Good luck and hope the smoke get better soon. I am 10 miles from the Muddy slide fire, and was evacuated two times for a week each time back in 2018 for the Silver Creek fire. I really wish I could just move to Switzerland, snow mountains and rain. No wild fires.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Also, its started a month earlier than 2020. The first gagging one in 2020 was mid-August Grizzly fire. The made climbing and camping unpleasanr along with closure of many campgrounds,
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

All we can do is have wishful-thinking and hope it won’t turn into the catastrophe 2020 was regarding wildfires. The last thing I was wanting to see upon returning to the state was grey, smoke filled skies. Has the haze become increasingly worse over the past few days? It seems all ranges are being affected.
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

Does anyone who can understand these satellite smoke maps better than me know if the haze situation is supposed to get better or worse over the next few days?
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Looking at the map today I think this worse than at any point last year in Colorado. Last year the fires near the front range meant the smoke that moved east quickly left Colorado. This year the big fires are all north and west of Colorado. Covering most of the North American continent at the moment.
Smoke Map July 13.jpg
Smoke Map July 13.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

It depends on where the predominant winds are coming from, last week it wasn't hazy. It was also stormy last week, whereas this weekend had barely any clouds. I am hoping as the storms drift back in the next couple of days the smoke goes back away. It can definitely change from day to day, but I am not sure how to predict what days will be bad.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Klad24
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Klad24 »

benmangelsdorf wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:10 am Does anyone who can understand these satellite smoke maps better than me know if the haze situation is supposed to get better or worse over the next few days?
Open Summit has some short-term smoke forecasting tools (linked within the article below); as well as a "daily summit" write-up which often talks about smoke forecast:

https://opensummit.com/dailysummit
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

randalmartin wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:29 am Looking at the map today I think this worse than at any point last year in Colorado. Last year the fires near the front range meant the smoke that moved east quickly left Colorado. This year the big fires are all north and west of Colorado. Covering most of the North American continent at the moment.

Smoke Map July 13.jpg
I'm no meteorologist but I don't think the entire continent is supposed to be covered in smoke
Mountain Gerbil
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mountain Gerbil »

If I'm reading the forecast right, it appears the monsoon winds should kick in this weekend and blow the smoke out for most of next week, at least. Looks like the high pressure bubble is moving north, which I guess means the northern rockies and upper plains will get the brunt of the smoke from the 19-23, at least.