Poll: How do you track your peaks?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

How do you track your peaks?

I'm just here for the entertainment
1%
I don't track what I've climbed/climb
6%
Only personal lists (stone tablets, paper, computer docs, personal websites)
8%
Only 14ers.com (can include separate personal lists)
49%
Mainly ListsofJohn.com (can include separate personal lists and 14ers.com)
24%
Mainly Peakbagger.com (can include separate personal lists and 14ers.com)
6%
Both ListsofJohn and Peakbagger (can include separate personal lists and 14ers.com)
3%
Mainly other website not listed (what other good websites are there? please comment)
3%

Total votes: 144
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Poll: How do you track your peaks?

Post by bdloftin77 »

First poll, so forgive me if I've excluded any obvious options or could have used better wording..

I'm curious how people here keep track of what they've climbed. It'd be interesting to know what percent of 14ers.com users utilize ListsofJohn (or Peakbagger or other websites), though LoJ users might be more likely to respond to this poll, skewing it in favor of a higher percentage of LoJ users that also access 14ers.com. Perhaps they are all weird hermits though, and skew it in favor of the typical 14ers.com only user.

I am assuming that a very small portion of people do NOT use 14ers.com for their 14ers and 13ers, but DO use another website instead. If you're one of these people, feel free to comment. Eg John Kirk doesn't have any lists here, because it's probably silly to create and maintain your own publicly usable/updatable website and try to keep your lists up to date on a less comprehensive one. Others in that category might not even hike or climb much (anymore?), and mainly participate in forum discussions, or lurk and entertain themselves with the forum discussions.

Might also create another poll to see how many people here actively pursue only 14ers and 13ers vs how many actively pursue lower (and higher) peaks. Again, probably skewed toward the latter because many 14ers-only responders might be less involved in the forum than otherwise, only checking weather, route descriptions, companions for 14ers, etc.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Poll: How do you track your peaks?

Post by HikerGuy »

Personal google spreadsheet and 14ers.com. Only focused on 13,000 feet and above right now, so no need for other sites.

EDIT: and Caltopo for a library of GPX tracks
Last edited by HikerGuy on Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildWanderer
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 491 13
Trip Reports (343)

Post by WildWanderer »

Personal Excel Spreadsheet(s), with 14ers.com and ListsofJohn for cross reference/verification.
It's a mountain: get over it.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Spreadsheets (dozens of them). Also LOJ. Summitpost too, but a lot of peaks I have climbed aren't on there.
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
hellmanm
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

I keep my lists here. Each trip gets its own photo album on my computer, so I guess any non-14ers/13ers are accounted for there. I went to listsofjohn a few times and find it a little ridiculous. The site is ugly and it just seems strange to me. Like, it's just some guy named John with a website. Idk... this site does everything I need it to.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Spreadsheet

Peakery.com

LOJ

Here.
xcrunner365
14ers: 44 
13ers: 68
Trip Reports (0)

Post by xcrunner365 »

LOJ, 14ers and many personal excel sheets.
NatDog
13ers: 33 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by NatDog »

Spreadsheets - includes completed hikes and calendar of upcoming hikes, among other things
14ers.com checklist
Photo album for each 13er/14er trip - these will be more fun to look back on when I'm old and gray. Also nice to show friends and family who don't really care what my elev. gained/hour was on any particular hike

Any hike or run below 13k I just consider training and don't really put on a list anywhere. I do however record everything on my Garmin so I can find any activity I've done there.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

This site for quick reference and to facilitate teaming up with others with similar peak goals.

Excel spreadsheet with stats/details of upcoming hikes (so I don't have to keep looking up the same data multiple times).

PowerPoint with map screenshots to help easily track completion of 13ers within geographic regions.

Notepad entry on my phone with notes and timestamps from each hike.

Folder on PC with all the photos from each hike.

Frequently a Facebook album to share my best photos with friends/family who aren't able to make it out into the mountains.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

• Lists of John
  • Summitpost
  • 14ers.com
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

14ers, LOJ, peakbager, summitpost for online.

My most complete on-line list is the one on LOJ, aside from the 3 peaks I did in Mexico it has everything I've climbed on it. Peakbagger and Summitpost have incomplete databases and 14ers only has 13k plus in CO for checklists.

Old school I have a two spiral notebooks with everything listed by hand, and I also have a digital spreadsheet (outdated though, its on an older computer I don't use as much) and an old NatGeo Topo of Colorado with them all on maps, again outdated on an old computer.

As with others, all of my photos are organized by hike. The folder structure is by year then with subfolders for each month, and then each day under that.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

I have mine listed on 14ers.com, but that is mostly so others can see what I have done. The official list is an old school Excel spreadsheet.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6