Poll: How do you track your peaks?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

How do you track your peaks?

I'm just here for the entertainment
1%
I don't track what I've climbed/climb
6%
Only personal lists (stone tablets, paper, computer docs, personal websites)
8%
Only 14ers.com (can include separate personal lists)
49%
Mainly ListsofJohn.com (can include separate personal lists and 14ers.com)
24%
Mainly Peakbagger.com (can include separate personal lists and 14ers.com)
6%
Both ListsofJohn and Peakbagger (can include separate personal lists and 14ers.com)
3%
Mainly other website not listed (what other good websites are there? please comment)
3%

Total votes: 144
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Poll: How do you track your peaks?

Post by SkaredShtles »

I don't.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

On here, 14ers.com

On a kinda ridiculous spreadsheet that has way too many columns for data and tabs. One for 13ers/14ers (including approaches, fails, successes, and all sorts of data and notes), one for "regular" hikes.
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Lots of neat tools:

14ers.com is great for beta on 13/14ers and with the list option, creates somewhat of a "resume" that is good for linking up with similarly experienced folks
LoJ and Peakbagger are both great tools for getting insights on lower elevation things. Peakbagger has options for adding a lot of information about each hike (that I do in a spreadsheet) for the "splitters" and it does enable users to contact each other (this has led to finding a great hiking partner). I like LoJ a little better as a checklist but both work fine in that regard and are repositories for my "history" as well as sources of gpx tracks on some pretty obscure things out there (places where few people venture to).

Caltopo is fantastic as a planning tool.
Aim high to end high
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

I'm still using stone tablets. But good chisels are hard to find.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

The Peakbagger app syncs with both Peakbagger.com and LoJ, so I use that. It also shows me pretty maps with red dots that I get to turn green. It's my favorite phone game! :-)
lafiurcm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lafiurcm »

PEAKERY! Easy to use and I like the lists of peak challenges.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

LOJ only. Combines nicely with my projects of wilderness area peaks, Front Range >12k list, etc. Like that it is easy to see remaining peaks. Also easy to jump out to Excel.
Jon Frohlich wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:22 pm Mostly LoJ as I track everything we do (and the dogs have their own lists).
Maya's computer skills are unmatched.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Thanks for all your responses! Looks like about half responders use only 14ers.com, a quarter use mainly LoJ, and smaller percentages have varied responses, or don't track their peaks.

Excel spreadsheets are a lot more common for tracking than I'd thought! Other websites I hadn't really considered for tracking are Peakery and Summitpost.

I mainly use ListsofJohn for my tracking, though I've tried to keep 14ers.com in sync for any 13ers+ that I've done lately.
hellmanm wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:39 pm I went to listsofjohn a few times and find it a little ridiculous. The site is ugly and it just seems strange to me. Like, it's just some guy named John with a website. Idk... this site does everything I need it to.
If there was sarcasm here, I might have missed it. But John Kirk has quite an impressive peak resume! (https://listsofjohn.com/m/John+Kirk) He and his wife Alyson have climbed every peak above 10,000 feet in Colorado. For his website, he spent 12 years pouring over USGS quad maps and collaborating with others (including some whizzy computer programs) to compile a complete dataset of every single ranked peak in the United States, including Alaska! (https://listsofjohn.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1211). True, my wife said the website looks early 2000's-ish, but it definitely serves its purpose (I think he created it in 2005ish, so that makes sense). I think 14ers.com has been around for a decent amount of time as well, though it got a make-over sometime in the last several years.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

hellmanm wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:39 pm I keep my lists here. Each trip gets its own photo album on my computer, so I guess any non-14ers/13ers are accounted for there. I went to listsofjohn a few times and find it a little ridiculous. The site is ugly and it just seems strange to me. Like, it's just some guy named John with a website. Idk... this site does everything I need it to.
yes, it’s an old-looking site and it’s not super intuitive, but if you take some time to learn its ins and outs its a completely invaluable resource. handy progress maps, trip reports for obscure peaks, multiple map layers, “near me” tool that I love, and ridiculously extensive.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

-wren- wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:14 pm
hellmanm wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:39 pm I keep my lists here. Each trip gets its own photo album on my computer, so I guess any non-14ers/13ers are accounted for there. I went to listsofjohn a few times and find it a little ridiculous. The site is ugly and it just seems strange to me. Like, it's just some guy named John with a website. Idk... this site does everything I need it to.
yes, it’s an old-looking site and it’s not super intuitive, but if you take some time to learn its ins and outs its a completely invaluable resource. handy progress maps, trip reports for obscure peaks, multiple map layers, “near me” tool that I love, and ridiculously extensive.
Cool photo and peak on your LOJ page, wren. What peak/where?
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I do here, loj and peakbagger. If tracking down 13ers and 14ers, this site has a lot of beta. Limited predominately to colorado though, lists are strictly 13k+ in colorado. Loj also has great beta. And has great beta for lots (dare i say almost all) US peaks. Peakbagger has international peaks, for those that like to venture out of country. If i didn't want to track international summits, i wouldn't bother with peakbagger. Although, people there have always been quick to respond to me with conditions or access questions, so that is a perk.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

greenonion wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:32 am
-wren- wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:14 pm
Cool photo and peak on your LOJ page, wren. What peak/where?
The tower made of white rock right after the knife on Kelso ridge! the exposure on both sides and elevation right above 14k make for quite the hero shot. From that angle it kinda looks like you’re on top of a major distinct summit.