Whiskey Pass highway: 1933

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Whiskey Pass highway: 1933

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

A group of us were up at Whiskey Pass area of the Cielo Vista Ranch on 4th of July weekend this Summer, and spent a little while chatting with Enrique and his brother while we set up camp for the night. We commented on how amazingly well-constructed the road was: very consistent grade, hewn into rocky mountainsides, berms built up on hillier areas, wide and mellow switchbacks above where we camped, and generally a much nicer road than any of us expected. I commented that it seemed almost like a railroad grade, and Enrique mentioned that at one point there was a plan to build a highway of Whiskey Pass connecting San Luis to Trinidad. This seemed amazing to me as Whiskey "Pass" is a huge mound of cliffs, which if one was to overcome by foot would barely be considered class 2 (Natalie can confirm), barely a pass in the typical sense.

This newspaper clipping from 1933 I found confirmed that there indeed was a plan to do this at one point, with perhaps a tunnel to avoid the cliffs on the West side:
NEW HIGHWAY ON WHISKEY PASS IS NEARING SUMMIT

I ■ The new highway up Whiskey pass 1 east of San Luis, has been completed to a point about twenty miles from 1 the Costilla county seat, or eleven miles east of Chama. Colo. It has reached an altitude of approximately ' ' 10.000 feet. About six miles remain to be constructed in order to reach the r j summit. When completed the pass will j be 13.000 feet high, which will be the 1 highest automobile road in the state ■ and also one of the most scenic. There l- are a few inchea of snow already on * the pass at the present time. ' 1 he east side also requires six or eight miles of construction to reach * the top. On the east side Whiskey r creek runs near the route, hence the ’’ name given to the pass. Ultimately the ’ mountain highway will shorten the roundabout mute between Trinidad 1 and San Luis to slightly over fifty * miles. A good road exists at present * from Trinidad to Stonewall, the construction on the east side starting | I from this point. A motor road also connects Stonewall with la Vela. Resident Highway Engineer W. J. Walsh, of this city, supervised this | year the construction of the first eleven miles between Chama and the present terminus of the scenic route, completing this stretch about two months ago. The state has turned the work over to Costilla county, which is mainl taining a small crew. Local engineers do not know just what appropriation will be made next year toward completion of the project. Another point not decided is whether to tunnel 1 through a peak near the summit or i surround it. If It is tunneled, the ali titude is decreased only 400 feet. > Though attaining a high altitude in ' a few miles, the grade is easy. Most > of it required heavy blasting, as solid * rock is encountered as soon as the I mountain is reached This makes the i highway fairly permanent, with post Bible exceptions of slides and snow. Valley residents will particularly ap--1 predate the new highway, as en route the automobtlist passes through the ■ old towns of San Pablo and Chama. i which are quaint and picturesque, r Farther east is the estate of the Sala- * zar family, also beautifully located. * Salazar creek meanders down the » western side, productive farms lying l on each side of ?ne stream. The aur tumn foliage at present makes the trip I impressive. However. It is not advis- * able to try to negotiate the last half- : ; mile beyond the construction camp ) Some highway maps show that Chama lies a distance below San Luis but the motorist is advised to turn east on * the first highway he reaches after en- -' tering the upper section of San Luis.
I find this kind of history quite interesting. The wikipedia page for Mosca Pass mentions it used to be traversed by CO-150, but it is now just a hiking trail on the West side. Is anyone aware of any other "lost" roads around the state?
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Whiskey Pass highway: 1933

Post by mike offerman »

Neat find Patrick! This sort of lost history is very interesting.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Whiskey Pass highway: 1933

Post by Mtnman200 »

Thanks for posting, Patrick. I had no idea about this history.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner