Operating drones in wilderness areas?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Operating drones in wilderness areas?

Post by madbuck »

Is it generally legal operate a drone in a Wilderness area?

In previous threads there seems to be some debate and perceived ambiguity.

In other policy memos and statements (1, 2), and lengthy historical discussion of the intent of the Wilderness Act, it seems pretty obviously prohibited to me.

Is it obvious, though? Does it need to be more so?

I also ask because of these recent videos in the Uncompahgre Wilderness (linked from a different tundra-parking trip report).
Last edited by madbuck on Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Operating drones in wilderness areas?

Post by Aphelion »

It is not legal. From https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/spe ... prd3807547:
The following regulations apply to all Wildernesses:
Motorized equipment and equipment used for mechanical transport is prohibited. This includes the use of motor vehicles, motorboats, motorized equipment, bicycles, hang gliders, wagons, carts, portage wheels, and the landing of aircraft including helicopters. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), or drones, may not take off, land, be operated or possessed within designated Wilderness...
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

^^^^
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

It's pretty easy to do this research here, ahead of time. The route descriptions specify when a route is in a federally-designated wilderness area.

If hiking a peak's alternate route, you can view the map and overlay the "Wilderness" layer. Simple.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Recently in the Fitzpatrick wilderness in Wyoming, a good ten miles from the nearest trailhead, I was trying to enjoy the beauty of the backcountry and rugged nature of the wind rivers at Double Lake. This was briefly interrupted by someone flying their drone over the lake. Thankfully what looked falcon dive bombed did it and split it in two and I had the pleasure of watching the Drone fall into the lake in a good six feet of water. One of my more fun memories from climbing Gannett Peak. I hope the falcon was unhurt.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:41 am Recently in the Fitzpatrick wilderness in Wyoming, a good ten miles from the nearest trailhead, I was trying to enjoy the beauty of the backcountry and rugged nature of the wind rivers at Double Lake. This was briefly interrupted by someone flying their drone over the lake. Thankfully what looked falcon dive bombed did it and split it in two and I had the pleasure of watching the Drone fall into the lake in a good six feet of water. One of my more fun memories from climbing Gannett Peak. I hope the falcon was unhurt.
Great! :) :) :)
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

hunting is allowed in wilderness areas. i'm pretty sure drone-hunting season is year-round.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin