National Weather Service

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

National Weather Service

Post by CheapCigarMan »

When looking at the weather forecast on the NWS site it gives a location, elevation, and a forecast.

Is that the forecast for that specific location and elevation?

Is there a weather “station” at that specific location?
I should be on a mountain
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: National Weather Service

Post by nyker »

I've wondered this too and use their site also. Appears to be a specific spot, specific location and elevation based on both empirical and modelled/simulated data.

I looked at NWS, brought up the map and did a test and clicked on the Elk range area, it came up with Aspen airport and showed GPS coordinates and elevation and time with a certain forecast, then repeated it with another spot more distant around Lake City and it refreshed with new data entirely.

On their site if you dig around there is a section for technology used:

"With 122 Weather Forecast Offices, 13 River Forecast Centers, nine National Centers, and other support offices, the NWS collects and analyzes more than 6.3 billion observations per day and releases about 1.5 million forecasts and 50,000 warnings each year. Forecasters build their forecasts with observations from surface stations, weather balloon readings and satellite data that feed numerical weather, water and climate models whose output is analyzed and scrutinized using individual scientific expertise. Forecasters communicate this information and potential impacts to the public, emergency managers, and other core partners to help make decisions that save lives and protect property."

So, per your question, it seems a combination of the above.

https://www.weather.gov/about/forecastsandservice
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I believe it's for the center of the 2.5 kilometer square shown on the map.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

I've always assumed there is a lot of spatial interpolating going on in the models, as opposed to actual weather readings coming from all over the surface of the land. Not sure that gets to the heart of the question though.