Out of State 14er finishers?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Out of State 14er finishers?

Post by d_baker »

The Texan thread makes me wonder how many other 14er finishers did so while living outside of CO.

I think there's a Vermonter on here (jrVT something??) that I think is a finisher, and possibly even a cent finisher.
I grew up in VT, so yay Vermonsters!

Show your state pride, and let us know if you're a 14er finisher!

Remarkable dedication to do so, similar to state highpointers.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Out of State 14er finishers?

Post by Matt »

I was a resident of New Mexico from start to finish on the CO 14er list.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I did 42/58 while living in Kansas, probably would've gotten the list done eventually from there but was a little easier to finish once I moved here.

I believe that there are a few finishers among the Kansas City folks. I have a friend in KC area who is at 53/58, so hopefully he will join the out of state finishers soon. Forum member NYker I believe is a finisher.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
ahworth
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ahworth »

I’ve summited all 58 while living in western Nebraska. Another 14er finisher friend of mine climbed some while in Nebraska and finished while living just across the border in Wyoming.
esskay1000
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by esskay1000 »

I did all 58 while living in Northern Virginia just outside of D.C. And I made many Colorado friends along the way :)
“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!” - Dr. Seuss
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

I summitted the 58 (plus the centennials) while living in Kansas City, MO.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

I don't know how you all do it. I think anyone who completes the 14ers (never mind the centennials) from out of state must have a truly deep love for the mountains here. It is a serious commitment of time, energy, money, and days off from work!
Mtnman200
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Yes, but my home state is so nutty now that I’m not sure I want to admit where I was born anymore.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Mtnman200 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:45 pm Yes, but my home state is so nutty now that I’m not sure I want to admit where I was born anymore.
Same here. But I’m gonna go ahead and spill… I’ve got 17 left since traveling to CO from TX originally in the 70s, and from UT since 93. TX AND UT. Oh my. Dearly love returning to CO every year. Sure is taking a long dang time, but then why rush it?!
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

I believe the Pilgrim fits this description. I only managed about half the list while living in Misery. Fortunately, I am a CO resident as of about a month ago. Finally!
altidude
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

Matt wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:57 am I was a resident of New Mexico from start to finish on the CO 14er list.
Same here, and still live close enough to CO that I can actually see it from home!
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Timely thread - I just finished a few weeks ago - Snowmass!

Completed about 2/3 from Michigan, and the rest from Arizona. Would fly out from MI and rent an SUV. Flying in takes organization (if you're climbing the very next day anyway). From AZ it's a long drive, but can manage it in a day - 8 hrs to the San Juans, 12 or so hours to other ranges.

My stepdaughter lived in Steamboat for over 15 years. In our trips to see her I got interested in the mountains. Wondered what it would take to climb one. Stumbled onto 14ers.com and realized I didn't need ropes or super special knowledge (though like most I learned alot along the way), mainly just the love and dedication for it. Befriended "Mtnhub" on the forum, we agreed to hike Holy Cross and few others; that was 2008. I was hooked after that. The first three years I was able to take a week off each year - I would typically climb 8 out of the 9 days available for a week off of work. I was kind of a machine for a while that way, well more acurately a true peak bagger. Was able to do many of the easier ones those first few years. Later, life would get in the way and then it was 4 and 5 day long weekends. Have been able though to climb 14 years straight now with at least one new 14er each year. I plan to write up a composite TR sometime this fall, but so much to do at work, at home, and with family, will see if I actually write one up.

Finishing the CO 14ers from out of state: Mainly you have to love doing it, have an organized plan for each year, and be dedicated! When I say dedicated it means to be willing to get up early on a typical morning, climb the peak, recover afterwards over dinner or a late lunch, maybe shop for a few supplies or groceries, drive to the next 14er that evening, camp in the tent or SUV, and get up early and do it all again the next day. I was all about fitting in as many peaks as possible in the limited days there. It was hectic that way, but once on the trail each morning I never regretted having to get up. The occasional rest day I'd take I'd be bored and waiting to climb the next day.

Met many wonderful people along the way. Tons of great memories! I'd do it again!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2