Another cent finisher!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hokiehead
14ers: 49  1  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Another cent finisher!

Post by hokiehead »

Congrats, Jed!
Insta: hokiehead
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Congratulations! Quite the accomplishment! =D>
Century Bound, eventually.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Congrats, Jed! And thanks for posting all those route descriptions!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Woohoo! Congrats! =D>
fepic1
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 170 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fepic1 »

Jed👍 Congratulations, Centennial finisher. You are the first backpacker I've ever seen carry a full size pillow from the house on a wilderness over nighter. 😎 if I remember the pillow was as big as the pack. Bumped into you 7 years ago coming out from rock of ages. Won't forget it. Made me smile. Planning on using your route for Rinker soon
Thanks John
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I swore you had finished a while back. Congrats!
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Nice job! Your trip reports proved invaluable on a few peaks. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge!
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Thanks everyone. Is there any other way for "Big Day" Jed to finish the Centennials than with a Big Day?

It's been a great time climbing these peaks and I've enjoyed every single one of them. Plus I feel blessed to have done all of them safely and w/o accident. Took a little longer (10yrs) than planned, since when I was at about 90/100 I relocated to Tulsa, OK for 5yrs and have been back in CO for 1.5yrs. Still managed to climb a few when I'd be out in Denver on business trips. Through all the climbs I've been lucky and only had to attempt one peak twice before getting a successful summit. That was Pyramid Peak in late October 2014 and was due to not being prepared for the amount of snow (8-10") on the upper part of the standard route on Pyramid Peak when we attempted it. Pyramid was my 14er finisher in October of last year (it only had 4" of snow on it this time)

I'm just glad when I climbed Mt Lindsey, just after moving to CO, I decided to tack on Huerfano Pk and work on the Centennial 13ers list along the way since there are a lot of centennials next to the 14ers so might as well climb them on the same trip!

I wasn't sure I'd get Jagged and Vestal this year but then the stars, weather and schedules aligned when Diego posted about climbing Jagged on a Sun/Mon. I'm so grateful he did, had the 4WD vehicle to get to Beartown and the climbing equipment to lead the climb.

Then the following week the weather was perfect for Vestal so Diego and I joined up again for the AVWTE. My brother even came out from Utah to join us. It took us exactly 10hrs for the entire traverse at a fairly leisurely pace. It was an awesome day, perfect weather, and fun route finding on a great route. The only part that sucked was the climb up to the Arrow-Vestal saddle, but that only lasted 20-30mins or so. Even the SE gully on Vestal was pretty solid and not bad at all.

I just have Castleabra to finish the 13,800+ peaks but then after that I'll mostly just do whatever peaks I'm interested in, or are nearby, repeats, and also help my 13y.o. son work on his 14ers list (currently at 15) and do fun hikes with my wife and 4 kids. Hopefully my other 3 kids will catch the 14er bug as they grow older like my oldest has.

Favorite 14er: Capitol Peak
Favorite Centennial 13er? Can't really say I have ONE "favorite" that stands out from the rest, or that there is one peak that I'd "never do again" even if the opportunity arose to climb it again and it was convenient to do so. I really enjoyed them all. I just love being in the mountains! I guess one that was a little more special than the rest was actually Thunder Pyramid which I climbed in August with my 13yo son. The climb didn't seem as bad as people tend to make it out to be and the traverse to Lightning Pyramid was airy and fun. The only part that sucked was descending the Lightning Gully/Couloir. Climbing Atlantic and Pacific as part of my solo Tenmile Traverse in Winter was pretty special as well (even ran into Bill Middlebrook on Peak 9's summit) or my solo climb of the E ridge of Mt Adams in winter. Pretty memorable stuff.

I've done a lot of them solo but I am grateful for the great climbing partners I've had along the way on these fun adventures.
Attachments
IMG_4891.jpg
IMG_4891.jpg (289.7 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
IMG_4879.jpg
IMG_4879.jpg (164.07 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Last edited by geojed on Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Congrats! Great work! Best Wishes. Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Peak200
14ers: 47 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak200 »

Congrats great job and posts
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Congratulations on a serious achievement!!!

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Congratulations!