Hiker ignores calls from SAR

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Hiker ignores calls from SAR

Post by HikerGuy »

Wentzl wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:32 pm Unnamed "official" said this and that. Has anyone traced this back to a Colorado SAR source?
The story has been picked up across the nation for it's Oniony-headline. There is a link to the SAR Facebook post in the story.
WanderingJim
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WanderingJim »

Well, when I was in Colorado climbing 14ers in August, I did get a normal amount of spam calls. Ignored, of course (although I did pick up a couple that weren't IDed as SPAM calls).

But then I wasn't lost or overdue.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

I hate unknown numbers almost this much.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

i thought maybe he turned off his cell phone to preserve battery. the post specifically says he ignored the calls because he didn't recognize the number though, so i assume that's what he told them.
bottom line is he survived the night with no known injuries or ailments, so presumably he was well-prepared, and he got himself out of the situation without feeling the need to contact SAR on his own. luckily no SAR members were hurt beyond losing a night's sleep.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Mountainsroam_2012
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mountainsroam_2012 »

This got me thinking of a story I read about years ago outside of Colorado. Here is the really short version of the story. There was a man lost in the wilderness (I can't remember where) in the early winter season, and he froze to death because he did not start a fire because it was illegal to have fires in the area..
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I'm 100% with the guy. I wouldn't have answer either.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

My phone automatically ignores all calls that don't come from numbers in my address book, so I wouldn't have got the calls either. And unknow texts get filtered into a folder I don't check very often.
Last edited by IntrepidXJ on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

If he didn't answer, SAR probably should have also sent him a text in case he didn't hear the call or didn't have his phone in his hand at that moment.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:45 am If he didn't answer, SAR probably should have also sent him a text in case he didn't hear the call or didn't have his phone in his hand at that moment.
they did, multiple times from multiple agencies.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

curt86iroc wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:47 am
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:45 am If he didn't answer, SAR probably should have also sent him a text in case he didn't hear the call or didn't have his phone in his hand at that moment.
they did, multiple times from multiple agencies.
Ah, Pfew.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Mucho extra spam this week from upcoming election.
Voting early used to put you on a "do not robocall or postal mail" list, but candidates are ignoring the list this year.
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pfiore1 »

Even though the subject was also sent texts along with phone calls and voicemails and did not return either, I also send a text first before calling explaining who I am with some other pertinent info such as cell phone battery power. Texts take less battery too. I'm sure there's more to the story but he could've given them the courtesy of a reply saying thanks but I figured my way out, or something. I also send an SMS Locator from SARTopo that when clicked on a texted link it provides an exact location if there is even barely one bar of service.

Some people though make your forehead hurt from palm slapping yourself so much and so hard. But we still wake up at any hour of the day to help those in need regardless of their negligence for themselves or others.

P.S. I never ever answer a number I don't know or already have saved in my contacts. If it is important they'll leave a message. However, I do listen to the message if one is left, check for texts, and return them if it is important.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund