Nepal Suggestions?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
georgbetsy
Trip Reports (0)

Nepal Suggestions?

Post by georgbetsy »

It's been a while since I have been active on this forum and spent my last time in the Rockies. I find myself with an unexpected opportunity to head to Nepal in January and will have somewhere around 3-5 days for some trekking. Does anyone have any recommendations? Have been looking at a lot of youtube videos of treks and while the scenery is almost always stunning, the touristy aspect, large guest houses (vs smaller tea houses and towns), and trails/paths wider then the Gray's peak trail are a little less my ideal.

The Mardi Himal Trek looks overall interesting, however, it seems to not really pass through any villages (+ some of the accommodations might still be closed and I do not want to carry a tent - or better - others in my group do not want to carry a tent :)) It would be great to have a beautiful 3-4 day trek with a 1-day adventure option for those in our group - myself - that want a little bit of an adventure. To give some reference - as giving advice in situations like this is always tough, I am not looking for adventures on the scale of Little Bear, Keplinger's Couloir in the winter, or a winter Crestone Needle climb - but something more than a walk on the Gray's Peak trail).

Looking forward to suggestions!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Nepal Suggestions?

Post by Scott P »

3-5 days isn't much time (anything under 3 weeks is a short trek in Nepal). You will probably have to go to either the Pokhara or Langtang areas. Poon Hill or ABC is popular, but it won't be crowded in January.

If you want to get off the beaten track, maybe try trekking to Padwar.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I did Lantang a few years ago and can give you advice if you go that way. I have a trip report up for Kyanjin Ri on that trek if you want to read it.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18401
Hoot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

I hiked the Annapurna Base Camp trek in 8 easy days of hiking in early November in 2019. At that time of year is was pretty touristy, but the scenery was fantastic. I'm not sure what conditions are like there in January, but I suspect there would be a lot fewer tourists that time of year. If you could find the right guide and conditions are reasonable, you probably could knock out the trek in some form or other in 4-5 days. Just a thought.
georgbetsy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by georgbetsy »

Thanks for the suggestions - its great to hear from people's experiences. We are probably going to spend some time in Pokhara, so a trek from around there will probably be the way to go.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Mt kailash trek is one I'm interested in.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

My top priority suggestion would be to find a way, any way, be creative, to extend your trekking time to anything greater than 3-5 days. For me that was about enough time to get over my jetlag and start to acclimatize. What is the old saying (question and answer) - Q - If you had 1 day to spend exploring Alaska's back country, what would you do ? A - Cry !
Best Regards
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Above_Treeline wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:26 am Mt kailash trek is one I'm interested in.
I think it's still closed right now and it wouldn't be practical in the timeframe given, plus you would have to be really self sufficient to do it in winter (if it's even open then). It would be a good trek if you had more time and when things get back to normal.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Scott P wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:44 am
Above_Treeline wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:26 am Mt kailash trek is one I'm interested in.
I think it's still closed right now and it wouldn't be practical in the timeframe given, plus you would have to be really self sufficient to do it in winter (if it's even open then). It would be a good trek if you had more time and when things get back to normal.
I'd think trekking at the altitudes common in this area is pretty dicey in January in general though. Especially since the pandemic isn't likely to be over then potentially resulting in closures. You'd really have to check on things and keep an eye out for the weather, I'd think, to avoid getting caught in snowstorms etc. Probably not the time of year to go on a laid back yet difficult trek, really

I looked and Mt kailash trek is pretty high, but that's probably like a lot of stuff is in Tibet. 52km, 3-4 day trek apparently.

The videos on YouTube interesting in general op might get some ideas
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Above_Treeline wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:48 pmI'd think trekking at the altitudes common in this area is pretty dicey in January in general though.
Not really, at least most of the time on the main trekking routes in Nepal. It tends to be cold and dry. It's summer when most of the snow falls in the Nepal Himalaya. In winter you have to bundle up, but it's usually sunny then. It can snow, but sunny days are more common. The first time I went in December-January we had one day of bad weather in 47 days. The second time we had one day of bad weather in 30 days, but that trip was mostly in December (January is slightly wetter).

On the Nepal side it's the big peaks that get the brunt of the jet stream and winds. They also shelter the lower valleys from the really cold weather. The trekking valleys below 18,000 feet tend to be sunny and rather pleasant, if a bit chilly in the mornings. There can be some snow and ice on the trails.

Places such as the south side of Dhalagiri and Annapurna do get hit wth winter storms since they rise straight out of the plains. Sometimes the treks over the Thorung La or to Annapurna Base Camp (both of them) can get dicey and ABC can get at least a few feet of snow (though it was dry when we were there that time of year).

The 3-5 day treks around Pokhara should be good in winter. Most of those treks are only 3000-11,000 feet in elevation.

The Kailash Trek is on the north side of the Himalayas the area around Kailash is much colder in winter. The main problem though is that all the facilities in that area will be shut down in winter. You would have to be self sufficient, even if it is open. Since the flights aren't running (and even when they are they are usually delayed, sometimes for days) you would have to take the overland route.

Overland by bus, it's at least 50 hours by bus each way from Pokhara. Bus distance is 1403 miles each way from Kathmandu and 1531 miles from Pokhara and the highways in that part of the world aren't like the ones around here! It wouldn't be practical to even try to get there if you only have 3-5 days. Riding ~3000 miles on buses on mountain roads takes time!

So, the Kailash Trek would be a good one, but probably not in winter and definitely not if you only have 4-5 days to spare and are in Nepal. In season and when things open up again you could actually fly to Ngari, which is not that far from Kailash. You have to fly to Lhasa first, but if the flights work out you could get Kathmandu to Ngari in a day or two, but to do the Kailash Trek you would probably want to spend at least a few days in Lhasa for acclimatization. Even when the flights open back up, 3-5 days from Nepal wouldn't be enough.

Anyway, good luck to you if you do get out there sometime. It's a really interesting part of the world. Personally I prefer Nepal over Tibet, but both are worth visting and can be done on the same trip.
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Scott P wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:46 pm
Above_Treeline wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:48 pmI'd think trekking at the altitudes common in this area is pretty dicey in January in general though.
Not really, at least most of the time on the main trekking routes in Nepal. It tends to be cold and dry. It's summer when most of the snow falls in the Nepal Himalaya. In winter you have to bundle up, but it's usually sunny then. It can snow, but sunny days are more common. The first time I went in December-January we had one day of bad weather in 47 days. The second time we had one day of bad weather in 30 days, but that trip was mostly in December (January is slightly wetter).

So you don't think the op is interested in traveling 3000 miles by bus in the wrong country? Lol. Imagine that.

I just reread the op and yep, Nepal. Got Tibet in my head not sure how that happened. Seems like I even thought it was going to be harder than Nepal since China. I guess I was in a hurry earlier.

But thanks for the great info it sounds pretty doable in December etc. Maybe even better than summer? And the heads up on Mt kailash.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

China and Tibet may not open for the foreseeable future. They have a 14 day stay-in-place quarantine for people who do get visas. However visas are limited to certain work and relative situations. China currently has a zero covid policy. If one case is detected, everyone in that city is tested and that location is likely to have a two week stay-in-place lockdown. NYTimes has a story this week of one city having four lockdowns so far.

China canceled the Tibet Everest season THIS year because of fears of catching from Nepal side people mingling near the summit. Nepal had cases during the spring. The upcoming Winter Olympics will occur, but sound draconian.