Sky Pond conditions?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Sky Pond conditions?

Post by denvermikey »

Considering this hike this weekend and wondering if anyone has been up there lately? Slightly worried about ice on the scramble/climb near the falls. Never done this hike so I am not familiar with the exact route difficulty in that specific spot. Will be bringing micro spikes.

Thanks!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Sky Pond conditions?

Post by madmattd »

More of a guess than an actual conditions update, but... Given what Long's and co. look like from my daily drive down on the plains, I'd assume a mix of snow and ice by weekend in that section. Also given the temps/sun late this week/weekend, probably melting/softening ice/snow combo. Probably fine with spikes especially if you hit it after sun has gotten on the snow there (if it's still shaded from overnight, it could be boilerplate ice, and spikes are completely useless on that). The tricky/steep spot is fairly short (maybe 50' vertical? up a narrow chute), but notable, at least that was the case when I snowshoed it early this Spring. I doubt the snow is all that deep overall yet.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

How exposed to the sun is that spot/chute? Wondering if it would be worth it to go later in the day...?
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Usually this time of year the waterfall over the scramble gets iced up on the rocks, and there isn't much consolidated snow. Spikes and some comfort with climbing steep iced over rocks needed. I've hit that in October before and turned back. There's always water flowing over that part below lake of glass that freezes and builds up.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Andrew Russell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andrew Russell »

cougar wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:48 pm Usually this time of year the waterfall over the scramble gets iced up on the rocks, and there isn't much consolidated snow. Spikes and some comfort with climbing steep iced over rocks needed. I've hit that in October before and turned back. There's always water flowing over that part below lake of glass that freezes and builds up.
+1
@andysoutdooradventures
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

denvermikey wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:53 pm How exposed to the sun is that spot/chute? Wondering if it would be worth it to go later in the day...?
Not terribly sun-exposed, it faces almost due North in a narrow valley. I can see where it would be an icy mess as the others have mentioned. Later in the day would be my advice (hit the chute mid-day ish) unless you have real crampons to bring with you as those might actually bite the ice. You'd probably only need them for that short stretch.