USAKeller returns

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

USAKeller returns

Post by DeTour »

I thought some other community members dating to "back then" might be as delighted as I was to see USAKeller post a TR after a long absence. It includes a link to her inspiring story of recovery from severe knee problems. I suppose some know her and her story well; others, like me, know her as a great contributor during the earlier days of this site. I'd seen a few posts from her referencing her ordeal, but had no idea of the details until reading her gracefully-written account tonight. Or even if you've never heard her name, it's well worthwhile to read!
West Spanish Peak TR: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=21473
Caroline's story on INNERVOICE: https://www.innervoice.life/caroline-moore
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: USAKeller returns

Post by globreal »

Thanks DeTour for pointing this out. I just read her report.
Welcome back Caroline! You have been missed.
I hope your knee repair is completely successful and it’s full speed ahead!
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

She's awesome, way to go Caroline!
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

You guys are sooooo nice!! I am undeserving of a thread, but I really appreciate your super nice words and especially on the InnerVoice article. I don't wish the 6 years of hell I went through on my worst enemy and at the very least, want it to be a story to inspire people to truly never give up. I've had a solid summer [mostly] solo 13er hiking, it felt good although rusty to write a trip report again, and I hope to be able to hike this winter, spring, and summer with a lot of people on the site again!
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Caroline,

We met many years ago in a parking lot before many of us (Steve Gladbach included) hiked to a summit. I think I brought bagels and someone had some great coffee.

Your story is indeed inspiring. RFP - Relentless Forward Progress, sometimes millimetres at a time it seems. I learned that approach when I ran ultra's and it has been so helpful for me. Thank you Caroline for your humble nature, your drive to return to who you are, and especially for your dedication to 14ers.com. The website and people like you meant so much to me back in 2008 when I started hiking the big mountains after decades of climbing in Yosemite. I was so lost until I found 14ers.com and people like you.

My deepest respect and gratitude. So glad to see you back at it with all the passion you have.

Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Welcome back, Caroline!
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
wonderwi
14ers: 52  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wonderwi »

Welcome Back Caroline!
You are an inspiration to all of us who have replacement parts!
Wishing you every success and every happiness in everything that you do!
There are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few that will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping. Author Unknown
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

That is fantastic, Caroline! Just read your story - such an inspiration! Happy to see you back in action! :!:
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

"In order to be truly free we must learn to let go of what is not in our control, be clear about our unique path, take personal responsibility, know and decide what to do, and take action to make things happen.”

"Steller USAKeller" =D>
mtngoatwithstyle
14ers: 19 
13ers: 73 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtngoatwithstyle »

Caroline,
When I first started on 14ers.com I would read some of your reports... and then I wondered what had happened to you until now. So glad you are back!. Stay healthy and strong my friend!. So happy your knee is now bionic! \:D/
Ps. As you can see my motto is the same. And it has been for over 10 years, when I had a rupture in my piriformis that left me almost paralyzed for 8 months. Thanks to my amazing PT, with whom every session I felt I could make and come back and 1 ski run 8 months later that felt like an entire season under my belt, I am now stronger than every.
Never,never give up!.
summit2sea
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summit2sea »

Welcome back Caroline!

I figured your absence was more just the ebb and flow of activity that naturally happens on this site. Little did I know! After reading your InnerVoice story, I'm definitely reconsidering my reaction to my current knee injury. Thanks for always being an inspiration to our motley community!
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Such a joyous delight to see you here in the forum again, Caroline. Your clarion voice and shining spirit have always been uplifting and inspiring. May God bless you and guide you, as you rise up toward the summits again.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius