Extended Stay Vehicles

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bdmtns
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Extended Stay Vehicles

Post by bdmtns »

gb wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:52 am We picked up a Four Wheel Camper pop-up for the truck last Feb. Game changer. We camped in temps as low as zero, it's so nice to be in a warm space, make some coffee, get changed, etc. No toilet (there are plenty of options for that if there isn't one nearby, as noted in other comments), there is an outside shower but we have it drained anyway when temps might be less than freezing. We wanted the truck/camper combo vs a van because it's more 4wd capable. I couldn't find any super accessible photos on my laptop, so here's a few photos right after we picked it up in NM. https://www.instagram.com/p/CLzLBi2lzAb/
What shower system do you use, and would you pick it again? Is it attached to the shell of the camper beneath the popup, or on the roof of the pop up? We're starting to look at them as a potential spring addition...thanks!
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

bdmtns wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:33 am

What shower system do you use, and would you pick it again? Is it attached to the shell of the camper beneath the popup, or on the roof of the pop up? We're starting to look at them as a potential spring addition...thanks!
It's on the outside of the driver's side, halfway up the non pop up part of the camper shell. Basically it's on the outside of where the sink is (and yes, it's hot water). For a variety of reasons, we haven't used the shower attachment yet, but definitely plan to next summer. FWC campers are extremely popular, be ready to move quickly if you find one that you want.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

gb wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:52 am We picked up a Four Wheel Camper pop-up for the truck last Feb. Game changer. We camped in temps as low as zero, it's so nice to be in a warm space, make some coffee, get changed, etc. No toilet (there are plenty of options for that if there isn't one nearby, as noted in other comments), there is an outside shower but we have it drained anyway when temps might be less than freezing. We wanted the truck/camper combo vs a van because it's more 4wd capable. I couldn't find any super accessible photos on my laptop, so here's a few photos right after we picked it up in NM. https://www.instagram.com/p/CLzLBi2lzAb/
All of this. I had a Northstar 850sc for several years. Sold when I moved back to CO, wish I hadn't. Being able to, of many things, wash your hands with warm water and turn on a heater while camping in the cold is amazing. If that makes me soft, then I am proudly soft AF.
Make wilderness less accessible.
bdmtns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdmtns »

gb wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:47 am
bdmtns wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:33 am

It's on the outside of the driver's side, halfway up the non pop up part of the camper shell. Basically it's on the outside of where the sink is (and yes, it's hot water). For a variety of reasons, we haven't used the shower attachment yet, but definitely plan to next summer. FWC campers are extremely popular, be ready to move quickly if you find one that you want.
What brand shower? All set with a very customized Northstar here, worth the wait for sure and excellent company if anyone is in the market.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

bdmtns wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:01 pm

What brand shower? All set with a very customized Northstar here, worth the wait for sure and excellent company if anyone is in the market.
Honestly not sure, probably dometic?
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

a friend of mine brought his Zodi portable shower on a camping trip- it's the coolest ever. if you have a tank of propane and access to a dozen gallons of water you can legitimately take a ~10 minute HOT shower.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
bdmtns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdmtns »

stephakett wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:29 pm a friend of mine brought his Zodi portable shower on a camping trip- it's the coolest ever. if you have a tank of propane and access to a dozen gallons of water you can legitimately take a ~10 minute HOT shower.
I like the sound of this, looking into it! Have been looking at the Roadshower as opposed to propane heated but the more I think about hot water vs tepid...the better it sounds.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

oldschool wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:32 am

I have done hikes of 300+ miles and had one pair of pants, one shirt, 2 pair of socks, 2 pair of underwear. It's a mind set. If you want to do it, you will. If you don't, you wont. I carry 5-7 baby wipes for each day. I wear a merino wool shirt that naturally fights bacterial smell. I hang socks and undies in the sun to kill bacteria.

It's a bridge too far only if you determine it so.....

The interesting question for yourself may be...."what is so bad about being smelly/dirty? "

Mike
if it's just me? nothing. but having to participate in that little thing the kids call life. you know, being around other humans. they appreciate me not smelling. YMMV.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

We bought a 2008 2500 suburban this year. Plan to take out the back seats and put in a built-in bed frame/ storage area.
We've spent a lot of nights in our 2002 burb over the years, large and comfortable, but never converted it.

SubOverland out of Idaho has a lot videos on what they do, pretty simple stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZw7A1 ... Y5mbNJFBAw

CigarMan, you're big enough you'll want at least a Tahoe, Burb or van.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

JQDivide wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:28 pm We bought a 2008 2500 suburban this year. Plan to take out the back seats and put in a built-in bed frame/ storage area.
We've spent a lot of nights in our 2002 burb over the years, large and comfortable, but never converted it.

SubOverland out of Idaho has a lot videos on what they do, pretty simple stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZw7A1 ... Y5mbNJFBAw

CigarMan, you're big enough you'll want at least a Tahoe, Burb or van.
SubOverland. Are you serious? There has to be a catch. The most expensive model for $16,500 includes vehicle, the "san" has everything found in the BASE, plus our custom wood work and off-grid electrical setup.
I should be on a mountain
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Toyota needs to build this:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3813 ... -revealed/
2021-toyota-tacoma-tacozilla.jpg
2021-toyota-tacoma-tacozilla.jpg (58.63 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

I'd love a Tacozilla, but it is probably priced way out of my range. :(
I gotta get me an Avatar.