Extended Stay Vehicles

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Extended Stay Vehicles

Post by CheapCigarMan »

What heats the water for the sink and shower?
I should be on a mountain
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Iguru wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:47 am I'd love a Tacozilla, but it is probably priced way out of my range. :(
For sure, it would be $250k for that Toyota.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

Ouch :shock:
That's more than I figured.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

painless4u2 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:58 am Toyota needs to build this:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3813 ... -revealed/
2021-toyota-tacoma-tacozilla.jpg
ATC 4x4 in Oregon does similar-ish conversions. If I remember, the cost was ~$40k (not including chassis).

Cheaper and more customizable than a Tacozilla.

Make wilderness less accessible.
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Dave B wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:51 am
ATC 4x4 in Oregon does similar-ish conversions. If I remember, the cost was ~$40k (not including chassis).
It's got a microwave and an option to pee in the sink!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Oh my. These rides are hilarious. The older we get, the softer and wussier we get. Its just a fact. I guess if there wasn't the maintenance, cleaning, hassles, and the dirty underside to RV life I'd give it a whirl. But I've "camped" with RV friends enough to know that's not me. When I can't handle sleeping in a tent or my Jeep, I'm bypassing the RVs and going big time. Hotels, baby! And a beach. Beaches are nice. For now, if I need a warm bed and a hot shower there's always Motel 6.

This is where the long, winding trail meets the road. Hard-core hikers looking for the comforts of home, whodathunk?
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

mtree wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:49 am This is where the long, winding trail meets the road. Hard-core hikers looking for the comforts of home, whodathunk?
Yes, I agree with you, except for one thing, well maybe two things. Work and a home. For me it's not just about having a hotel on wheels for a weekend getaway or a longer vacation in the woods. It's about needing a clean and dry environment to work from. A comfortable set up for an office environment. Trying to picture having conference calls in my Soulo tent. :-k
And since you wouldn't be leaving work to go home, as this would also be your only home, one has to think through the creature comforts needed to make that sustainable through the months, seasons, and possibly years. Bed, sink, shower, electrical for A/C & Heat, office computer, etc.

Make sense?
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:20 am
mtree wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:49 am This is where the long, winding trail meets the road. Hard-core hikers looking for the comforts of home, whodathunk?
Yes, I agree with you, except for one thing, well maybe two things. Work and a home. For me it's not just about having a hotel on wheels for a weekend getaway or a longer vacation in the woods. It's about needing a clean and dry environment to work from. A comfortable set up for an office environment. Trying to picture having conference calls in my Soulo tent. :-k
And since you wouldn't be leaving work to go home, as this would also be your only home, one has to think through the creature comforts needed to make that sustainable through the months, seasons, and possibly years. Bed, sink, shower, electrical for A/C & Heat, office computer, etc.

Make sense?
Whatever works for ya! I can't live in a tiny home/RV. But that's me. If you use it as your permanent or vacation residence you can get the same tax write off (interest payments) as a first or second "standing" home. Add to that the work write offs and that becomes a significant chunk of change. Suddenly your expensive RV isn't so expensive anymore.
CheapCigarMan
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

mtree wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:06 am If you use it as your permanent or vacation residence you can get the same tax write off (interest payments) as a first or second "standing" home. Add to that the work write offs and that becomes a significant chunk of change. Suddenly your expensive RV isn't so expensive anymore.
This I wasn't aware of. That's great info you passed along. :thumbup:
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:12 am
mtree wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:06 am If you use it as your permanent or vacation residence you can get the same tax write off (interest payments) as a first or second "standing" home. Add to that the work write offs and that becomes a significant chunk of change. Suddenly your expensive RV isn't so expensive anymore.
This I wasn't aware of. That's great info you passed along. :thumbup:
I have friends doing that right now. They've been cruising around in an EarthRoamer HD the past year. Of course, for them, every day is a Saturday... so whatever.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:58 am
Dave B wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:51 am
It's got a microwave and an option to pee in the sink!
and TWO tv's. i guess that comes in handy if you and your partner can't agree on what to watch on Netflix some night.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:27 pm
JQDivide wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:28 pm We bought a 2008 2500 suburban this year. Plan to take out the back seats and put in a built-in bed frame/ storage area.
We've spent a lot of nights in our 2002 burb over the years, large and comfortable, but never converted it.

SubOverland out of Idaho has a lot videos on what they do, pretty simple stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZw7A1 ... Y5mbNJFBAw

CigarMan, you're big enough you'll want at least a Tahoe, Burb or van.
SubOverland. Are you serious? There has to be a catch. The most expensive model for $16,500 includes vehicle, the "san" has everything found in the BASE, plus our custom wood work and off-grid electrical setup.
The catch is they are older model Suburbans. But, Burbs have a pretty solid reliability (our 2002 has 320K on it).
If nothing else, it just provides some ideas.

Solar panels and power station, like a Jackery, can provide all the power you need, including for a fridge.
There are several shower/hot water options out there, many just hook up to a propane tank. But you'll still be outside on cold days.
Toilet options, numerous, including setups that just have a wag bag.

Lots of "how-to" videos on YouTube to set up vehicles for overlanding, which is similar to what you are thinking, just add a work space.