Anyone Used World Expeditions?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tnesper
14ers: 58 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Anyone Used World Expeditions?

Post by Tnesper »

My friends and I are looking at World Expeditions of the Snowman Trek in Bhutan in 2023. Has anyone used them before? Or by any chance done the Snowman Trek? Curious what your experience was and any tips you have?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Anyone Used World Expeditions?

Post by Scott P »

I haven't, but $8140 for a camping trek is extremely expensive even by Bhutan standards. :shock:
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Tnesper
14ers: 58 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Tnesper »

Scott P wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:29 pm I haven't, but $8140 for a camping trek is extremely expensive even by Bhutan standards. :shock:
Can't disagree there. Although they are the cheaper of the 3 options I'm aware of out there. It is for 26 days...
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Tnesper wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:44 pm
Scott P wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:29 pm I haven't, but $8140 for a camping trek is extremely expensive even by Bhutan standards. :shock:
Can't disagree there. Although they are the cheaper of the 3 options I'm aware of out there. It is for 26 days...
There seem to be a lot more than three options, but I can't say from first hand experience which to use since Bhutan is a country I haven't trekked in (though I have trekked in all of the surrounding countries). World Expeditions might be a great company, but before sending them that much money, personally I'd at least check into the Bhutan based companies.

I do know that the official rate is $225 a day no matter what trek you do and that is supposed to cover everything. Since the rules from the Bhutan Government state that trekkers must use a Bhutan trekking service, a western company (such as World Expeditions) will sub out the trip to a Bhutan based company, pay them $225 a day and the rest of the balance is their overhead and profit. They might help you get a visa, etc.

Personally I'd go with a Bhutan based company, not only because it's cheaper, but because more of your money will stay local.

When ever I travel overseas where guides are required, I always use local services rather than Western ones. It's not to say that this is the best way, but it's the best for me.

Lonely Planet lists some of the locally based companies as follows, but there are more (not sure how up to date the list is):

Yangphel Adventure Travel, International Treks & Tours, Yu-Druk Tours & Treks, and Lhomen Tours & Trekking

I'd at least check with several of the local companies, especially since Western companies have to use them anyway and since Bhutan guides have to go through certifications/training.

Of course do what is best for you, have a good time, and let us know how the trip went and show us lots of pictures!
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.