American Perimeter Trail

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

American Perimeter Trail

Post by Carl_Healy »

Just curious if anyone had been following the developments behind this thing:
https://americanperimetertrail.org/
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: American Perimeter Trail

Post by jaymz »

As a native of the region, I can say that the section of trail that appears to be going through SE Texas/Louisiana sounds absolutely miserable.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Sounds more like a blog from someone who likes through hiking and wants to contribite something new. The NE section and the mid-Atlantic region on the suggested map are weird to me. The NE region drops SE way too soon and misses the Adirondacks, the Long Trail in VT, and would require more trail work, though less distance, than following a great lakes trail and then joining the other 2 mentioned. The mid Atlantic region is well west of the AT. Seems nuts to have a 2nd through hike running parallel to the AT. The whole trail goes along the UP in Michigan and then drops down east of the lake. There's already a trail on the western side, the Ice Age Trail. The only benefit of staying north for more of the East west portion is one would miss the Chicago metro area. Maybe that illustration is just a concept of a permiter, less a suggested route.
Last edited by Ptglhs on Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Andrew Skurka crossed the US near the northern border in 2007. I heard him talk about it, but cant seem to find the internet link.

These three college students the three three major north-south trails during the covid break:
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -of-hiking
justiner
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

peter303 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:22 am Andrew Skurka crossed the US near the northern border in 2007. I heard him talk about it, but cant seem to find the internet link.
Sea to Sea route?

https://andrewskurka.com/adventures/sea-to-sea-route/
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

Ptglhs wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:01 pm The mid Atlantic region is well west of the AT. Seems nuts to have a 2nd through hike running parallel to the AT.
That's actually a beautiful area with some quality trails. Not sure how well interconnected they all are, but it looks like it goes along the Cumberland Trail in TN, Pine Mountain Trail on the KY-VA border through Breaks Interstate Park, then up through the rail trails of WV. Less popular than the AT but less trampled as well. I've run a few races in that area and was impressed.

Breaks Interstate Park, home of one of the deepest gorges east of the Mississippi and one of only two interstate parks.

Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
RyanOhNoPleaseStop
14ers: 25  5 
13ers: 9 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by RyanOhNoPleaseStop »

Having done the Lone Star Trail in texas, i bet you most of the trail going through TX will be road walks. Way too much private property there to have a scenic trail.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Ptglhs wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:01 pm Sounds more like a blog from someone who likes through hiking and wants to contribite something new. The NE section and the mid-Atlantic region on the suggested map are weird to me. The NE region drops SE way too soon and misses the Adirondacks, the Long Trail in VT, and would require more trail work, though less distance, than following a great lakes trail and then joining the other 2 mentioned. The mid Atlantic region is well west of the AT. Seems nuts to have a 2nd through hike running parallel to the AT. The whole trail goes along the UP in Michigan and then drops down east of the lake. There's already a trail on the western side, the Ice Age Trail. The only benefit of staying north for more of the East west portion is one would miss the Chicago metro area. Maybe that illustration is just a concept of a permiter, less a suggested route.
if you take the time to read the "About the Trail" portion, you would find the following information:
Why is New England not included?
Due to the Covid-19 global pandemic during the first scouting hike of the APT Rue made the choice to leave out New England to maintain his safety and the safety of others.
What route did you follow up the East Coast?
Rue did not take the Appalachian Trail as it had been closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, so he created his own route up the western side of the Appalachian mountain range, loosely following the Great Eastern Trail and using parts of other smaller trails such as the Great Allegheny Passage.
How long did this route take?
The first scouting hike will have taken almost 2 years upon completion. After 15 months of continuous hiking Rue was forced to leave the trail for medical reasons.
Do you have plans to expand the trail?
Yes, the plan is to extend the trail up into New England eventually to the Canadian border, over to Florida, and further south in Texas.
Is there a lot of road walks in the APT?
There are some road walks in the APT, but the goal of the APT is to minimize road walking and use public lands as much as possible to create corridor of protected and preserved space available for recreational use.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

stephakett wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:33 am if you take the time to read the "About the Trail" portion, you would find the following information:
I did read it. The AT is already the longest foot trail in the world, and protected in the sense that it's been set aside.

The excuse about covid is just crazy to me. Hiking by oneself in the back country is about as socially distant as one can get.
two lunches
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:19 am
stephakett wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:33 am if you take the time to read the "About the Trail" portion, you would find the following information:
I did read it. The AT is already the longest foot trail in the world, and protected in the sense that it's been set aside.

The excuse about covid is just crazy to me. Hiking by oneself in the back country is about as socially distant as one can get.
so in your opinion, because the AT exists, we don't need any additional foot trails or protected lands. got it
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

stephakett wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:08 am so in your opinion, because the AT exists, we don't need any additional foot trails or protected lands. got it
Because when you don't like someone it's easier to engage in reductio ad absurdum or be obtuse rather than see the point that another major north south trail 100 miles west of the AT is a bit redundant and would require enormous work and cost for very little gain.
two lunches
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:12 am Because when you don't like someone it's easier to engage in reductio ad absurdum or be obtuse rather than see the point that another major north south trail 100 miles west of the AT is a bit redundant and would require enormous work and cost for very little gain.
dude why does it always have to be something negative with you? constant poo-pooing other people's ideas. i still owe you that hot chocolate, though-- would that cheer you up? [-o<

anyway, i think this trail is a neat idea, but i'm with jaymz- that segment where you walk all the way across texas looks like an 800~ mi scrub brush NIGHTMARE. i'll be interested to see people attempt this in the future and how they find gear that works for so many situations over such a long period of time. i'd also be really interested to see if there would be additional loop projects for the AT area.