Are afternoon thunderstorms still a concern?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Are afternoon thunderstorms still a concern?

Post by mtree »

constipated_pete wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:14 pm
mtree wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:03 pm
Who knows if more people will be killed on top of a peak vs. wherever else? No data to track. Most of what we "know" about lightning strikes is based on theories, bad science and myths. The fact is, it probably doesn't matter if you're on the tip top of the summit, the ridgeline, the gully below, or in the trees. We don't know where the lightning will strike or why. Being IN the lightning storm definitely increases your chances of getting hit. I haven't heard of anyone hit by lightning when there was no lightning.

You are insignificant in a lightning storm. Like an ant when someone walks by. Maybe you'll get stepped on, maybe not. You can be holding a golf club, metal rake, or sitting on an iron grate and it won't matter one bit. The only thing that matters is the amount of ground strikes hitting in your area. Simple statistics. I've been in a lightning storm several times on the summit. Harvard, Sherman, Missouri, and Tabeguache (twice). I've been in lightning storms many times on ridgelines, countless times above treeline and countless times in trees below. So far so good.

The closest a strike hit next to me was in the trees less than 20 ft away. Once just off a ridgeline, but not sure how close. Another time escaping Pacific Peak just below Mohawk Lake running like crazy to nowhere. An angler saw it hit to the side of me! (He told me later.) I've had tingling, sparks, ringing ears, hair on end, and static around me. None of it very pleasant. Nowadays its far less often I get caught in a storm, but still happens on occasion. I try to get my climb done before the storms. Guess I'm not as brave anymore. So, for the OP, yeah... I'd stick with the tried and true. No lightning won't kill you.
Crazy! Most of what we know isn't from bad science and myths... electric fields are stronger along ridge lines and holding conducting materials high above your head will increase the possibility of lighting choosing you as its path to the ground. This is a refreshing spew of BS on a Friday afternoon.
More bad science based on outdated, inaccurate, or far fetched ideas. Total silliness. Good luck proving it. You must still sell lightning rods?

For instance, based on your logic of holding a conducting material "high" above your head will increase the possibility of lighting choosing you as its path to the ground would mean if I glue a penny on my head (versus nothing) I'd increase the possibility as well? How about a pin? Or a tack? Same result? A screw from a eyeglass frame? Why not?

Theory and reality don't always intersect. Bad science will get you killed. Just get out of the lightning storm to avoid getting fried. There is actual data to back up that theory.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

mtree wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:55 pm More bad science based on outdated, inaccurate, or far fetched ideas. Total silliness. Good luck proving it. You must still sell lightning rods?

For instance, based on your logic of holding a conducting material "high" above your head will increase the possibility of lighting choosing you as its path to the ground would mean if I glue a penny on my head (versus nothing) I'd increase the possibility as well? How about a pin? Or a tack? Same result? A screw from a eyeglass frame? Why not?

Theory and reality don't always intersect. Bad science will get you killed. Just get out of the lightning storm to avoid getting fried. There is actual data to back up that theory.
Pfft, sure, look at the homeboy doing it just for kicks:
Tesla.jpg
Tesla.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

cedica wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:52 pm
mtree wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:55 pm More bad science based on outdated, inaccurate, or far fetched ideas. Total silliness. Good luck proving it. You must still sell lightning rods?

Cool pic! But your Google science is lacking.
For those who are interested in real facts and science, lightning is one of the most misunderstood, unknown phenomenons on earth. It ranks up there with volcanoes and earthquakes. Tough to replicate in a lab. That said, do not listen to all the mindless drivel you hear. No one really knows how, when, why or where a bolt will strike. If "we" did, maybe we could consider harnessing its energy. But, until then, stay safe. Stay away.

Lots of folks can tell you how to fight Doctor Strange, but who has lived to tell about it?
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

The correct answer to the possibly trolling question (first post here) is there isn't a one answer fits all. It's not worry or don't worry. Depends on what weather patter we are in. There are times when there is a monsoon flow and it gets stormy every afternoon, or even late morning. There are times when the moisture flow is cut off and there are barely even any clouds. Weather forecasting has gotten very good in the last 15 years or so. They are now pretty good at telling you what the precipitation chances are each day in the summer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
constipated_pete
14ers: 31  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by constipated_pete »

mtree wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:01 pm
cedica wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:52 pm

Cool pic! But your Google science is lacking.
For those who are interested in real facts and science, lightning is one of the most misunderstood, unknown phenomenons on earth. It ranks up there with volcanoes and earthquakes. Tough to replicate in a lab. That said, do not listen to all the mindless drivel you hear. No one really knows how, when, why or where a bolt will strike. If "we" did, maybe we could consider harnessing its energy. But, until then, stay safe. Stay away.

Lots of folks can tell you how to fight Doctor Strange, but who has lived to tell about it?
If you’re interested in learning something, here’s a nice page about charges at edges and corners:
https://pressbooks.online.ucf.edu/algph ... uilibrium/
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Starting your hike at noon gives you a lot more solitude when hiking 14ers.

:)
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

Two months after this OP was made, the verdict is in. Summer monsoon rain / storms are alive and well in Colorado.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

JROSKA wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:26 am Two months after this OP was made, the verdict is in. Summer monsoon rain / storms are alive and well in Colorado.
Agreed. I live near the Mosquito and Sawatch ranges and we have gotten real rain every day for the last 4 weeks.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

JROSKA wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:26 am Two months after this OP was made, the verdict is in. Summer monsoon rain / storms are alive and well in Colorado.
:bow:
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

Where is the best place to view precipitation data for the current year compared to previous years? Kind of curious where 2022 stacks up after the below average winter since it seems to have been raining every day in the mountains
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24