And so it begins...

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

And so it begins...

Post by HikerGuy »

I was hoping we'd make it through June with clear air.

https://fire.airnow.gov, depressing website, but very useful.

smoke_map.png
smoke_map.png (541.73 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: And so it begins...

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I'm really looking forward to another 4-5 months of not being able to exercise without a pollution mask.

Asthma and smoke are an awesome combination.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Blech. Thought I'd noticed that particular color in the sunlight this morning :-|
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

I like using the below website for smoke forecasts. As far as I know, the AirNow site is just real time info, not predictive, and really not all that high resolution. At each 6 hour interval (00Z, 06Z, 12Z...) they will run it out to 48 hours instead of the usual 18 hour forecast. I use vertically integrated smoke, which seems to capture the hazyiness the best IMO, although any of the options will probably give you a good enough idea. If you filter off the domain to "SW" it will give a more zoomed in view of Colorado.

https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/HRRRsmoke/
dude9478
14ers: 28 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dude9478 »

Yep, nasty up here in evergreen. I prefer purpleair.com to airnow. Easier interface.
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

A bit of good news, it appears we'll get our first shot of monsoon moisture this weekend. Not great for hiking plans, but boy do we need the rain.

From the NWS forecast discussions:
BOULDER OFFICE - Looking ahead to next weekend, the upper level trough will be over the wrn US as an upper level high remains across the central US. Thus will continue to see SSW flow aloft, over the area, with both the ECMWF and GFS showing a continuation of subtropical moisture, affecting the area. This would allow for a good chc of showers and storms mainly over the higher terrain both days. Highs will continue above normal both days.
GRAND JUNCTION OFFICE - Confidence is improving for a more active precipitation event for Friday into the weekend. An increasingly moist southerly gradient will develop on the back side of the ridge to the east and the Pacific storm system to our west. Ensemble forecasts are still painting the first good monsoonal moisture surge of the 2022 season late this week. PWATs in excess of 1 inch will push into the area on Friday and spread across the CWA this weekend. There is low confidence on the details of this precipitation event and much of this uncertainty is based on the exact track and speed of the Pacific storm system which is forecasted to move northeast across the Great Basin region this weekend. Regardless, this storm system will bring an increased threat of showers and thunderstorms across the forecast area with the possibility of heavy rain which would impact burn scar and other flood-prone areas late Friday into the weekend. Models are still struggling with the evolution of the weekend system and its progression across the intermountain west. However, it does look as though Monday will see lingering precipitation across the higher terrain of western Colorado with widespread showers possible. This forecast will change for sure, but optimism remains high for a drink of water following the hot, dry, windy conditions that started the week.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

If I have to deal with another smoke screened 4th of July while in the San Juans I'm going to be very pissed.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

I'm looking out my office window right now at a very hazy Pike's Peak. :(
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

I was wondering where that was coming from... hazy af here in Avon. Thanks for sharing those resources!
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

XterraRob wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:24 pm If I have to deal with another smoke screened 4th of July while in the San Juans I'm going to be very pissed.
What?
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

Worst part. It was started by someone lighting their toilet paper on fire…

https://www.azfamily.com/2022/06/13/man ... res-signs/
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

We knew something was up this morning when the sky had a smoky haze. Pics from Bald Mtn and Boreas Mtn off Boreas Pass
IMG_2153.JPEG
IMG_2153.JPEG (129.24 KiB) Viewed 917 times
IMG_2163.JPEG
IMG_2163.JPEG (161.34 KiB) Viewed 917 times
IMG_2161.JPEG
IMG_2161.JPEG (83.62 KiB) Viewed 917 times
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24