Bad Experiences in the Backcountry

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bad Experiences in the Backcountry

Post by SkaredShtles »

I personally call them "Texas Wheelchairs" and it is always DRIPPING with condescension.

:mrgreen:
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:45 am I personally call them "Texas Wheelchairs" and it is always DRIPPING with condescension.

Going to have to add that to my vocabulary! :lol: :lol:
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:45 am I personally call them "Texas Wheelchairs" and it is always DRIPPING with condescension.

So OP failed on multiple levels- he didn't even use the funniest insult
:lol:
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

The Dude wins today :lol: =D>
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
JDroz
Trip Reports (2)

Post by JDroz »

Tornadoman wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:53 am

Going to have to add that to my vocabulary! :lol: :lol:
Ditto!
You're no Steve Climber... but Steve Climber is
skyrme17
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skyrme17 »

Are geckser and the OP the same folks who are quick to dislike various posts on this site? Out of the last 14 trip reports, there are two dislikes, and both from geckser! This is simply a factual statement.
And while I do respect their opinion, they clearly seem to set a high bar for whatever they like.
JohnnyLeadville
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyLeadville »

That sucks. I have always been OK in the backcountry but I have encountered some other people in sketchy situations and we were able to help them out of there. The Appalachian Trail has some characters.
cstadfeld
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cstadfeld »

Was it a black 4 runner?
Istoodupthere
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 27 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

greenonion wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:55 am
oldschool wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:24 am I am conflicted about my feelings on this but here it goes....

I am only speaking about how I would handle situations such as have been posted here.

In many areas of my life I have come to this conclusion...."that which is accepted continues". To me that means behavior that is allowed to happen, without consequences and/or accountability for such behavior, shall continue to happen. There is zero reason for the OP people that did what they did to change in any way if no consequences take place.

I understand that for some (most?) fear enters into the picture. For me it doesn't. Yes, the ass hat's that are occasionally found in the back country, as well as in the front country, can be on substances, be carrying guns, can be scary, and a myriad of other possible issues, and violence may indeed ensue. Conflict is never sought out by me yet I will also not be "victimized" by some ass hat. I will always choose to stand my ground.

One of the reasons (IMO) that this type of behavior happens is it again is allowed to happen, in some cases over and over again. Perpetrators will continue to behave in such manners.

I have seen and been involved in situations such as have been posted here on this thread. I chose to stand my ground. I will always do so.

Mike
Agreed. It's absolutely what's wrong (that which is accepted continues... without consequences...) with the political climate these days, especially since about 2016.
Of course none of this stuff happened before 2016 🙄…No, I’m not a fan of the former president. It’s just such a lazy excuse
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

These days with a fraction of people possessing guns for reasons like wildlife protection, personal protection or hunting season, one might not want to incite violence. There are stories in Denver newspapers every week about road incidents going out of control.

There was a story early this year about campground hosts retaining a spare campsite in case there some misunderstanding in their campground (angry neighbors, late arrival losing reservation, etc.). Their employer dislikes this because that might a loss of few percent of revenue from retained campsites
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I had a road rage incident a couple of weeks ago driving on 285. In Grant, a Chevy truck was riding my ass all the way to Bailey. I was passing some cars on the Bailey hill and the guy was maybe 3 feet from my bumper, so I after I finished passing those cars and moved over, I flipped him off. The guy in the truck goes apeshit after I flipped him off, slams on his brakes and starts yelling at me, and then proceeded to follow me. At one point, he pulled along side me telling me to pull over so we could fight. Then, every single lane change I made from there until Wheat Ridge, he followed right behind me. When I got onto I-70, I finally called 911 who suggested I find a police station to pull into, but I had no idea how to find the spots they wanted me to go to, so I just check going on the highway until he eventually gave up. Freaking psycho though. In the northeast, where I come from, flipping the bird is part of doing business on the roads, 'you're an a**hole, no you're an a**hole' then off on our merry ways.

New policy on my part, no showing any outward state of agitation whatever someone may or may not being doing in another vehicle. I don't need any of these freaking psychos in my life.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

12ersRule wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:43 am I had a road rage incident a couple of weeks ago driving on 285. In Grant, a Chevy truck was riding my ass all the way to Bailey. I was passing some cars on the Bailey hill and the guy was maybe 3 feet from my bumper, so I after I finished passing those cars and moved over, I flipped him off. The guy in the truck goes apeshit after I flipped him off, slams on his brakes and starts yelling at me, and then proceeded to follow me. At one point, he pulled along side me telling me to pull over so we could fight. Then, every single lane change I made from there until Wheat Ridge, he followed right behind me. When I got onto I-70, I finally called 911 who suggested I find a police station to pull into, but I had no idea how to find the spots they wanted me to go to, so I just check going on the highway until he eventually gave up. Freaking psycho though. In the northeast, where I come from, flipping the bird is part of doing business on the roads, 'you're an a**hole, no you're an a**hole' then off on our merry ways.

New policy on my part, no showing any outward state of agitation whatever someone may or may not being doing in another vehicle. I don't need any of these freaking psychos in my life.
Colorado is the 3rd worst state for road rage.

https://denvergazette.com/outtherecolor ... 88ca1.html
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months