Opinions: Do you think social media has had a positive or negative impact on outdoor recreation in Colorado?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Opinions: Do you think social media has had a positive or negative impact on outdoor recreation in Colorado?

Post by -wren- »

One thing I think isn’t to be missed is the way that media outlets have become more keen on exploiting climbing accidents as they’ve grown more hungry for clicks. The language and pictures that they use clearly serve to generate as much hype and fear around obstacles like the knife edge for monetary gain. I think that putting things on a pedestal in this way not only makes many people overly fearful and close-minded toward the idea of working up to them, but also just further fuels the fire in the same way IG’s look-at-me culture has. This polarization feels really disappointing to me, since the reality is the middle ground. The 14ers are a very reasonable goal for any able-bodied person willing to commit to developing fitness, good mountain sense, tolerance to exposure, and resistance to ego / summit fever. not some insane, deadly daredevilish pursuit and also NOT something to shove off as easily accessible casual dayhiking or trail running - even though they may often feel that way to a fit person with the right tools. It’s a theme that seems to run across everything more and more in the internet age.
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Opinions: Do you think social media has had a positive or negative impact on outdoor recreation in Colorado?

Post by blazintoes »

If you couldn’t Strava or ever post a picture, would you still be doing what you’re doing?
Take a break from social media. Your approval junkie will thank you.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

blazintoes wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:36 am If you couldn’t Strava or ever post a picture, would you still be doing what you’re doing?
+1
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

blazintoes wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:36 am If you couldn’t Strava or ever post a picture, would you still be doing what you’re doing?
+1
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I think folks would still do what they're doing without the Strava or other sources to post a picture. We all have egos, some are more out there than others, but those with an ego that runs strong and prevalent, will still find a way to tell others what they've been or are doing.

I've only used fb as the norm social, but I do know I prefer it out of my life and has been mostly gone from my life for a few years.
If only I could take a step back from a forum that I frequent...hahaha...that's a bigger (but fun & informative) daily go-to drug.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

A lot of good thoughts so far. I'll add that I think people project their own insecurities onto other's social media use sometimes. Some might only see the shadows cast by their own lantern without recognizing the better virtues.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich