Live Tracking Cell phone Apps without cell signal

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
arpwalker
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Live Tracking Cell phone Apps without cell signal

Post by arpwalker »

I'm trying to give my wife piece of mind by giving her the option of live tracking of me when I'm mountaineering solo without cell service. Is there an inexpensive app for Android without cell coverage that will result in reliable tracking that she can follow on desk top or tablet back home...?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Live Tracking Cell phone Apps without cell signal

Post by d_baker »

Look into a SPOT or InReach device.
There's an upfront cost for device followed by a yearly subscription fee, but would do what you're looking for. It might make your wife happy, until the device batteries die and you don't know it, or it throws a weird zig in your track, or you forget to check in, etc...but still can be a peace of mind for some.
Last edited by d_baker on Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Without cell coverage, there is no way for your phone to communicate your position to your wife. I use the Garmin InReach. It (like the Spot) uses satellites, not cell towers. You can send/receive text messages and she can follow your track.
Century Bound, eventually.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Can’t put a price on your life,

Garmin inreach x3
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

It's easy to track yourself on a cell phone with no coverage - tons of apps do that, including the 14ers.com app. But allowing someone else to track you without cell coverage - haven't come across that yet for a cell phone.

Garmin InReach is the way to go - not only track and be tracked but the SOS button gives a lot of piece of mind to you and others. The ability to send/receive messages is something a lot of people use - including professional guides using that to check in with their home base throughout a voyage. I only carry it as a backup for the GAIA app on my phone plus the lifeline that I hope to never need but some folks use it extensively for every trip.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

The AllTrails Lifeline feature does this. Although, your contacts will see delayed tracking when you lose data connection.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Early in our relationship, my wife would give me a piece of her mind if I came back too late from a hike. In order to give her peace of mind, I got the Delorme (now Garmin) Inreach.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:45 pm The AllTrails Lifeline feature does this. Although, your contacts will see delayed tracking when you lose data connection.
Wouldn't that drain your battery really fast to have your phone always looking for a connection?

I always put my phone in airplane mode when I'm hiking so I can still use the GPS tracking but not drain the battery too quick.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

AllTrails doesn’t continue your track after you lose cell service, although it did help S&R a few years ago when I got cliffed in Winter.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Garmin inReach.
I use the mini...

But here is a great example... the current FKT run is going on, here is his track...
https://share.garmin.com/minnesotamountaineer
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

daway8 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:33 am
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:45 pm The AllTrails Lifeline feature does this. Although, your contacts will see delayed tracking when you lose data connection.
Wouldn't that drain your battery really fast to have your phone always looking for a connection?

I always put my phone in airplane mode when I'm hiking so I can still use the GPS tracking but not drain the battery too quick.
Yes, it will drain your battery quicker. I'm not recommending AllTrails Lifeline over Garmin (which is what I use), but the dude wanted something cheap and at 450 plus subscription the Garmin is not that.

Lifeline does have some nice features though.
https://support.alltrails.com/hc/en-us/ ... -Lifeline-
Last edited by CaptainSuburbia on Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

How is a cell phone supposed to broadcast your location without cell service? It can't by definition. Get an inReach with the recreation plan (the safety plan doesn't include unlimited tracking). It's more expensive but you can't put a price on your life.