Gerry Roach's Book - Fourth Edition

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
codyli34
14ers: 27  2 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Gerry Roach's Book - Fourth Edition

Post by codyli34 »

After years of not having purchased Roach's Colorado Fourteeners book, I went to buy one and noticed the fourth edition recently came out. I was wondering if anyone knows what has been changed since the third edition. One review on Amazon didn't speak very highly of the new edition so I'm wondering if the third is way to go. Seems like the fourth edition didn't do a great job at making revisions and updates. I know much has changed in the decade since the third edition was published, so the fourth edition should be the way to go, unless the review is accurate about the book not being updated.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Gerry Roach's Book - Fourth Edition

Post by Jim Davies »

I checked it out of the library, and was pretty disappointed. There was some stuff that was badly out of date - for example, bad information on Culebra access, incorrect trailhead for the Crags route on Pikes Peak, nothing about the new Columbia route, other important changes in access of that sort. He does mention that you can't park along the road to Stevens Gulch, which is something, I guess, but this site has much better, more accurate information at this point than Roach. Bummer....
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I picked up one and went through my list of items that were outdated in v3 and found much of it to be the same. My guess is that this was released as a “30th Anniversary Edition.” Obviously, it’s still an excellent guide that is relevant but v3 is still good if you own it.

I did notice an apparent swipe at 14ers.com that I didn’t expect and was a bit disappointing:

“Updated with all the newest information, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks website guides can't reach.
and
The trusted source for over 30 years, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks websites can't reach.

:(
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
MKwhite45
14ers: 35 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MKwhite45 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm I picked up one and went through my list of items that were outdated in v3 and found much of it to be the same. My guess is that this was released as a “30th Anniversary Edition.” Obviously, it’s still an excellent guide that is relevant but v3 is still good if you own it.

I did notice an apparent swipe at 14ers.com that I didn’t expect and was a bit disappointing:

“Updated with all the newest information, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks website guides can't reach.
and
The trusted source for over 30 years, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks websites can't reach.

This website that you have created has incredible information that can't be found in a guidebook. Do I own the 13ers and 14ers books? Yes. Do I open them nearly as often? Nope. I do like see the route options on paper but there's never really a great route description. This website has something the books will never have, first hand accounts. Which are invaluable. We all know how important and life saving this site this.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm I picked up one and went through my list of items that were outdated in v3 and found much of it to be the same. My guess is that this was released as a “30th Anniversary Edition.” Obviously, it’s still an excellent guide that is relevant but v3 is still good if you own it.

and

Thats disappointing he would say that.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
maff
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maff »

My guess is that kind of back-cover marketing copy is more publisher driven than anything, but it's his name on the book--sure seems unnecessary.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm I did notice an apparent swipe at 14ers.com that I didn’t expect and was a bit disappointing:

Updated with all the newest information, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks website guides can't reach.
(emphasis mine)
It could have at least been an accurate swipe, per comments already made...

Sounds like there's not much need for me to grab the new version. I still reference the 3rd frequently, plus his Centennials book, but the latest info is definitely here, that's the nature of internet vs. print.
jbgarman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jbgarman »

and

I have the 3rd ed. and enjoy it (which did correct a lot from 2nd ed.), but use it in conjunction with this site (which is great). The route descriptions and feedback people leave on here have been valuable tools for me. How else would I know I might be able to get my Suby up to South Colony Lakes this year?

Short anecdote, several years ago before I found this site I attempted the Sawtooth traverse based solely on a print description, found myself utterly unprepaired (my fault-not passing blame), and butt-scooted all the way down to Abyss Lake after only making it a third of the way.
PikaSteve
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (5)

Post by PikaSteve »

Outside of the front and back covers and the name of the publisher, I could not find any information updates compared to the third edition.

The printing quality of the maps is slightly better in the fourth edition and the word wrap is slightly different in the Front Range and Sawatch chapters, but otherwise, the text seemed identical in every section that I compared. Most telling are lines from the preface:
"I started climbing in Colorado in 1955 and have spent the last seven decades climbing Colorado's Fourteeners"
and from the final page 338:
"Tapping for twenty-two years, I've worn out five computers creating this tome"

These two lines are totally unchanged from version 3 to version 4.

I really like the Roach guides when I want to use a book rather than a screen for general research, but when I need up to date details, I go to 14ers.com.
OBC13
14ers: 38 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBC13 »

I have Roach's 2nd edition. Like all the guidebooks, it has some shortcomings. Borneman and Lampert is my favorite but not because it is the most accurate. It is very old. I have gradually converted to 14ers.com as my go-to for hike planning but I still utilize the guidebooks as well. The thing to remember, and I think Gerry Roach and others have said this a number of times, is that the books are only a guide.
OBC13
enoki
14ers: 33 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by enoki »

Thought it was kind of weird that he hadn't updated his site to reflect the release. Made me think maybe he wasn't super involved in this edition?
Imcp
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Imcp »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm “Updated with all the newest information, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks website guides can't reach."
It reads to me more like: "There's no internet access in the mountains, take this book with you!"
Still a bit out of date, but not totally incorrect either.