Gerry Roach's Book - Fourth Edition

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Gerry Roach's Book - Fourth Edition

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Imcp wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:13 am
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm “Updated with all the newest information, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks website guides can't reach."
It reads to me more like: "There's no internet access in the mountains, take this book with you!"
Still a bit out of date, but not totally incorrect either.

That's why I created the mobile apps. :-D
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
bsiegs
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bsiegs »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:23 am
Imcp wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:13 am
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm “Updated with all the newest information, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks website guides can't reach."
It reads to me more like: "There's no internet access in the mountains, take this book with you!"
Still a bit out of date, but not totally incorrect either.

That's why I created the mobile apps. :-D

The mobile app - like everything 14ers.com related - is seriously awesome. Thanks Bill.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

^Thanks!
I've spent a lot of time on it lately. Maybe too much but I'm saving on gas!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

bsiegs wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:43 am The mobile app - like everything 14ers.com related - is seriously awesome. Thanks Bill.
+1000

Thanks as always Bill!
Codyhill1991
14ers: 58 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Codyhill1991 »

Trotter wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:10 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm I picked up one and went through my list of items that were outdated in v3 and found much of it to be the same. My guess is that this was released as a “30th Anniversary Edition.” Obviously, it’s still an excellent guide that is relevant but v3 is still good if you own it.

I did notice an apparent swipe at 14ers.com that I didn’t expect and was a bit disappointing:

“Updated with all the newest information, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks website guides can't reach.
and
The trusted source for over 30 years, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks websites can't reach.

:(
Thats disappointing he would say that.
I listened to a podcast interview with him a couple of years ago, don't remember which show. There was a LOT of bitterness over the ways people go about getting their information now. I do get the impression that it was some frustration about no longer feeling relevant. And maybe no longer bringing in as much $.
The books are a fun read through, but I have never, ever found 14ers.com lacking; sure I don't have wifi in the mountains but GPX files and screenshots really helped me in my early days.
Marcos
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Marcos »

One thing about Gerry's guide that is fairly unique is his subjective appraisal of the peaks and routes. He does a great describing the flavor of the various ranges and peaks. I'll never forget his intro to Kelso Ridge, to the effect of "it's a climb, not a hike". He often notes important factors that may not be evident from a route's grade, description, or even photos. It's a good reality check for folks who may not have a full idea of what they're getting into.

Other than that, I hope he removed from his list of Classic Commandments of Mountaineering the item "Surfer Girl is not in the mountains". Because she definitely is.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Carl_Healy »

Marcos wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:22 pm One thing about Gerry's guide that is fairly unique is his subjective appraisal of the peaks and routes. He does a great describing the flavor of the various ranges and peaks. I'll never forget his intro to Kelso Ridge, to the effect of "it's a climb, not a hike". He often notes important factors that may not be evident from a route's grade, description, or even photos. It's a good reality check for folks who may not have a full idea of what they're getting into.

Other than that, I hope he removed from his list of Classic Commandments of Mountaineering the item "Surfer Girl is not in the mountains". Because she definitely is.
My favorite is his description of Missouri Mountain's East Ridge: "What should be Missouri's premier mountaineering route is so rotten that it is relegated to this author's nightmares."

Haven't tried it and that description would certainly give me pause before considering it.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
letitbeirie
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letitbeirie »

Codyhill1991 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:18 pm
Trotter wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:10 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm I picked up one and went through my list of items that were outdated in v3 and found much of it to be the same. My guess is that this was released as a “30th Anniversary Edition.” Obviously, it’s still an excellent guide that is relevant but v3 is still good if you own it.

I did notice an apparent swipe at 14ers.com that I didn’t expect and was a bit disappointing:

“Updated with all the newest information, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks website guides can't reach.
and
The trusted source for over 30 years, this is the guide to bring with you to peaks websites can't reach.

:(
Thats disappointing he would say that.
I listened to a podcast interview with him a couple of years ago, don't remember which show. There was a LOT of bitterness over the ways people go about getting their information now. I do get the impression that it was some frustration about no longer feeling relevant. And maybe no longer bringing in as much $.
The books are a fun read through, but I have never, ever found 14ers.com lacking; sure I don't have wifi in the mountains but GPX files and screenshots really helped me in my early days.
As of the 3rd edition at least, one of the addendums was a 2-page screed against the metric system.

His books are a great reference but the guy doesn't seem to be particularly fond of change.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

The reality.....as soon as a book is printed it is out of date. Once out there changes can't be made so the info becomes obsolete very fast. Remember encyclopedias? Didn't think so.

14ers.com is relevant, up to date, roles with the changes and pinches, and it helped me 1000% when I started my 14er hiking in 2008.

Jerry would like to think his book and his ways and his ideas and his info are still relevant. IMHO...they are not.

Thank you Bill

Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
maff
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maff »

The "in defense of feet" addendum was in the 2nd edition too, as I recall. And his point, which seems quite right to me, was that you can't have fourteeners without feet. Tough to argue with that. Though of course he doesn't address the obvious counterpoint, that you can't have 8000 meter peaks without meters. But that's above my pay grade.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

I think it's overstating it to call Roach's books irrelevant - there's still a lot of good info in there, especially in terms of giving more route variations than you can sometimes easily find on this site but, yes, overall I get the vast majority of my info from 14ers.com and/or the app.

Besides route descriptions, trip reports etc, it's also great to be able to get real-time customized feedback/recommendations on the forum about various issues.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I definitely don’t think guidebooks are irrelevant. When I moved beyond the 14ers, where there is a wealth of information available. The options can be a little overwhelming. I found that it was really helpful to use a guidebook to get ideas and to get an overview of route options/trailheads. I still pull out Roach’s 14er and Centennial 13ers books on occasion for these reasons. I also really like Derek Wolfe’s and James Dziezynski’s guidebooks as well as the Colorado Scrambles/Snow Climbs books. I almost always get on this site and look at more detailed route descriptions, conditions reports, trip reports, etc. and download gpx tracks when available. I subscribe to the idea it’s helpful to have multiple sources of information available. I never did really understand the infatuation with “Roach points” though.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?