Make Grays/Torreys Interesting (again)

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HoosierWaffles
14ers: 33 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Make Grays/Torreys Interesting (again)

Post by HoosierWaffles »

two lunches wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:07 pm if it's spice you're looking for, start from Lenawee and do the traverse to Griz D, make your way over to T/G. then you can jaunt over to Ruby and drop down into Chihuahua to get back to your ride. looks like a fun day (albeit above MY paygrade... but you did say spicy)
+1 for that route if you want to make it a long and interesting day, the Lenawee to Griz felt about class 4, be careful running down the road back to the ski area though
vertical_volume
14ers: 55  1  1 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vertical_volume »

When are you coming out? I have Kelso/Grays/Torreys/Edwards/Argentine/Square Top and the optional Wilcox on my radar, as a traverse, with a car spot
Runnin around - Rob_e179
sseliz1580
14ers: 29 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sseliz1580 »

Wow, these are all interesting ideas. Nice to know there are indeed a lot of creative options. A lot better than my normal playground where everything is a crumbly mess (San Juans) although I have no authority to complain. :-D

I really like the idea of incorporating Kelso for some spice, but worried that will cut into my time if storms are on deck for the day and trying to get a lot of mileage. I'm not a super duper beast but I do like to push miles. I can move fast on solid ground, but I haven't had a whole lot of time to play in Class 3 terrain this season, so I might be a little slower.

vertical_volume I'm looking at Tuesday Aug 2. Camp somewhere (why I like the Chihuahua/Horseshoe side) Monday night and get crackin' early. Still need time to get home to Durango for dinner. :mrgreen:
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

While you asked about the front range specifically Gray's and Torreys, I see you have not done Longs so you can always consider that too which is not far from Denver and if you wanted to make THAT longer you can add on Mount Lady Washington or Storm peak or maybe even Meeker on a long day, but Longs may be enough given that you'll likely be starting at like 2:00-3:00am.