Is Sleeping In Your Car/SUV/Truck considered "Camping"?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dhagan
Trip Reports (0)

Is Sleeping In Your Car/SUV/Truck considered "Camping"?

Post by dhagan »

If one sleeps in their car/SUV/truck and uses NO exterior devices (tent, camp stove, camp chairs, tarp or shelter, hammock, etc.) and parks at a trailhead or designated hiker parking area, is this considered "camping"?

I was recently at the South Mineral Campground area to hike Vermilion and Golden Horn via the South Mineral Creek TH. I knew there was a designated hiker parking area separate from the designated South Mineral Campground fee spots. I had slept in my SUV that night at a pull out approx 1/4 mile prior to the South Mineral Campground area. I then drove and parked in the hiker parking area around 0300 and got ready to start my hike day. A grumpy person came storming over to my car angry about my headlights that I had on to drive and park in the hiker parking area. He then also accused me of "camping" and said I would face a stiff fine if I was "camping" in the hiker parking area. I told him I was doing a day hike of Vermilion and Golden Horn. He then used his flash light and inspected the interior of my SUV.

If I had chosen to sleep in the back of my SUV in the hiker parking area that night and had NO exterior devices associated with my sleeping in the back of my SUV that night, would I be "camping" and subject to fines/penalties for illegally camping in a hiker parking area?

A similar situation could have arisen at Thirty Mile Campground for my earlier hike of RGP/Window/Window Peak as they have a designated fee camping area and a separate hiker parking area.

Please advise...
Doug
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Is Sleeping In Your Car/SUV/Truck considered "Camping"?

Post by k_fergie »

I believe that the Forest Service considers any overnight stay to be considered "camping", I can't find that source right now, though. I assume someone can point you to the official language, I've seen it posted here on the forum before
I thought, I taught, I wrought
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Tell them to mind their business, this is America.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

IMO, no. As long as the lot allows for overnight parking, I don't worry about it. Of course then you have an extreme like Long Peak where they patrol it like their looking for drug traffickers. Others can comment on this specific trailhead and maybe it is one of those where it's just not worth it to take a "nap" in your car. :)

"He then used his flash light and inspected the interior of my SUV."
Was he a police officer or other law enforcement officer? If not, this dude might have been eating his flashlight if he tried that to me. Not trying to act like a tough-guy, I just don't put up with sh!t like that. If he works for a legit dept and is respectful, it's good to provide information and ask questions about what is allowed. If someone is being a dick, push back.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Wow, I'm almost in agreement with XTerraGuy
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Is Sleeping In Your Car/SUV/Truck considered "Camping"? The answer is yes, yes it is. As much as I don't want to or think it is, the authorities consider it camping. So, if a trailhead has a no camping sign, I know that I am at risk of being woken in the middle of the night. Has that ever happened? No. Am I selective about which trailheads I sleep at? Yes. 72 nights in my car over the past 5 years and I've never been roused or tangled with another person. Porcupines are another issue though. Ugh!

I have slept in my car at both the South Mineral TH and Thirty Mile TH hiker parking lots without issue. You either crossed paths with a grumpy a**hole camper or were not in the correct location, sounds like the former. In addition, early morning trailhead etiquette should be practiced. Turn off your engine and headlight ASAP. Don't repeatedly open and close doors. And keep your voice down.
Last edited by HikerGuy on Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

The legal answer is yes that is considered camping.

36 CFR 261.2

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/36/261.2

"Camping means the temporary use of National Forest System lands for the purpose of overnight occupancy without a permanently-fixed structure."
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

dwoodward13 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:35 pm The legal answer is yes that is considered camping.

36 CFR 261.2

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/36/261.2

"Camping means the temporary use of National Forest System lands for the purpose of overnight occupancy without a permanently-fixed structure."
Define "overnight" :) I remember discussing this years back. Yes, the USDA, and therefore the USFS, probably consider it "camping" but the definition isn't very tight. If I show up late and nap in my car before a 4am start, does it fit in that definition.

Anyway, it's good to discuss these things so we can identify places where they enforce it or places where wannabees are waiting to be d-bags.

To the OP: My guess is that in this case the sub-contracted campground host was also patrolling the nearby parking lot where you parked.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

And define “occupancy.” Is hiking in the dark camping (overnight occupancy of the forest)?
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I was informed by a police officer that sleeping in your vehicle is indeed considered camping. We got a knock on the door at around midnight one time and he did not seem amused when we tried to explain that we were just sleeping in our vehicle, not camping, while parking directly in front of a “no camping” sign. Of course, the sign had a picture of a tent on it so we did not think it applied to us.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

If you're taking a nap at one of these "patrolled" trailheads, don't forget to put a note on your driver's door: "Jed, we left earlier and will be camping at tree line. Please come up and join us at the orange tent." And make sure you're not too obvious in the back of the vehicle.

We're just trying to show up and hike a peak at O'Crap Thirty.
Skeletor
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skeletor »

dhagan wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:18 pm A grumpy person came storming over to my car angry about my headlights that I had on to drive and park in the hiker parking area. He then also accused me of "camping" and said I would face a stiff fine if I was "camping" in the hiker parking area.
What was the grumpy man doing in the parking lot? I would imagine he only got pissed at your headlights because he was trying to sleep (i.e. camping.)