Santa Fe recommendations

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
NM_Hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Santa Fe recommendations

Post by NM_Hiker »

huffy13 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:36 am Sandia Crest via the La Paz Trail, on the east side of Albuquerque, is a really fun hike. Take plenty of fluids though as there isn't really a good water source until you get to the summit visitor center. If you don't feel like descending after making the summit, there is a great trail to the tram that has some more great views and you can purchase a one way ticket back down and either hike the 2-2 1/2 miles back to the La Paz trailhead or, do what my brother-in-law and I did.....get an Uber back for a few bucks. I have posted a trip report for it here on the site.
I believe you have to purchase the tram ticket the day before. At least that's how it was a few weeks ago.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Bandelier National Monument is super cool. Visitors are (or used to be) allowed to climb tall ladders and explore many of the ruins in Frijoles Canyon (the main area of the park). It's a real gem of a park.
DSC00428.jpg
DSC00428.jpg (171.77 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
The Bandelier backcountry and neighboring Dome Wilderness are very beautiful. The extensive burn areas open up views of canyons and impressive terrain.

PA310190.jpg
PA310190.jpg (289.33 KiB) Viewed 4585 times

Southern Sangre snow conditions can be assessed using the Taos Ski and Santa Fe Ski resort webcams. All Trails .com is also a good resource for current reports.

https://www.skitaos.com/mountain/cams-conditions

https://skisantafe.com/webcams/

For getting high but keeping close to town, I recommend Lake Peak and Deception Peak from the Winsor TH near the Santa Fe Ski lodge. The most recent All Trails update was May 2. Someone wrote: "Beautiful day for a hike. Up to the 1st Overlook it was the usual hike with some packed ice along the barbed fence. After that the trail disappears under 6 inches to 3 foot snow drifts. Pushed another mile and turned around bc my 260lbs ass kept breaking through the snow every other step. Spikes helped but I really wished I had taken snow shoes. Then it would have been easy enough. Apparently it snowed up there a few days ago."

So that might not be in your cards but Lake and Deception is a fine pairing for future. Lake Peak on right, Santa Fe Baldy in distance on left.
PA300457.jpg
PA300457.jpg (271.12 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
And lowest but not least, Atalaya Mountain is on the edge of Santa Fe. It's a popular "neighborhood peak" with a trail to the top.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Nice photos as usual, kimo!
kimo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:04 pm And lowest but not least, Atalaya Mountain is on the edge of Santa Fe. It's a popular "neighborhood peak" with a trail to the top.
I suggest the views from Picacho Peak, and ideally a Picacho/Atalaya loop, for that close-to-town option.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

NM_Hiker wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 pm
huffy13 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:36 am Sandia Crest via the La Paz Trail, on the east side of Albuquerque, is a really fun hike. Take plenty of fluids though as there isn't really a good water source until you get to the summit visitor center. If you don't feel like descending after making the summit, there is a great trail to the tram that has some more great views and you can purchase a one way ticket back down and either hike the 2-2 1/2 miles back to the La Paz trailhead or, do what my brother-in-law and I did.....get an Uber back for a few bucks. I have posted a trip report for it here on the site.
I believe you have to purchase the tram ticket the day before. At least that's how it was a few weeks ago.
That is a possibility, we hiked Sandia in the middle of the week, in less-than-great conditions, and long before the covid stuff was a thing. We did not see another soul on the hike until we reached the tram station and purchasing tickets that day was easy. The only three other people we saw all day took the tram back down with us.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

madbuck wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:58 pm Nice photos as usual, kimo!
kimo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:04 pm And lowest but not least, Atalaya Mountain is on the edge of Santa Fe. It's a popular "neighborhood peak" with a trail to the top.
I suggest the views from Picacho Peak, and ideally a Picacho/Atalaya loop, for that close-to-town option.
Thanks! We hiked up Monte Luna one afternoon and then crossed the valley and started up Atalaya. About half way up Atalaya we decided to beeline for Maria's Kitchen before the dinner crowd hit. The trail was crowded and after encountering no one on Monte Luna it was a bummer to be dodging people and dogs. We'll go back at a better time for Picacho and Atalaya. It's a fine suggestion, and if the OP wants a local peak with local flavor buried at the back of a Santa Fe neighborhood, this is a good one to hit at the right time.
huffy13 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:22 pm
That is a possibility, we hiked Sandia in the middle of the week, in less-than-great conditions, and long before the covid stuff was a thing. We did not see another soul on the hike until we reached the tram station and purchasing tickets that day was easy. The only three other people we saw all day took the tram back down with us.
La Luz, not La Paz. We enjoyed the best cup of hot chocolate ever at the summit visitor center. It was a late November day - cold and breezy. We had hiked up La Luz from the bottom to the crest. The lone worker at the visitor center was astonished to see us. We encountered no one on the hike up or down and walked out in the dark. It's a long trail but one of the best. The NM sunsets linger forever and on a cold late autumn day the air was crisp and felt electrified. It was sublime.

All this New Mexico talk is making me hungry.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

kimo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:28 pm
madbuck wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:58 pm Nice photos as usual, kimo!
Thanks! We hiked up Monte Luna one afternoon and then crossed the valley and started up Atalaya. About half way up Atalaya we decided to beeline for Maria's Kitchen before the dinner crowd hit. The trail was crowded and after encountering no one on Monte Luna it was a bummer to be dodging people and dogs. We'll go back at a better time for Picacho and Atalaya. It's a fine suggestion, and if the OP wants a local peak with local flavor buried at the back of a Santa Fe neighborhood, this is a good one to hit at the right time.
huffy13 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:22 pm

La Luz, not La Paz. We enjoyed the best cup of hot chocolate ever at the summit visitor center. It was a late November day - cold and breezy. We had hiked up La Luz from the bottom to the crest. The lone worker at the visitor center was astonished to see us. We encountered no one on the hike up or down and walked out in the dark. It's a long trail but one of the best. The NM sunsets linger forever and on a cold late autumn day the air was crisp and felt electrified. It was sublime.

All this New Mexico talk is making me hungry.

You are correct La Luz Trail, my mistake. Should have looked at my own trip report for that. LOL
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.