Angel Landing going to Permit Lottery System

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Angel Landing going to Permit Lottery System

Post by nmjameswilson »

The move to permits to climb/hike continues in Zion now too. It's nice people are getting out and seeing nature but we also have to protect our natural resources.
I do think a spike from COVID adding to the numbers.

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/ ... ermits.htm
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Angel Landing going to Permit Lottery System

Post by seano »

It's unfortunate, but probably necessary. Zion was certainly much improved by keeping cars out of the canyon and requiring everyone to take the shuttle (or ride a bike :-), but apparently that wasn't enough. I'm glad I got to visit places like Angel's Landing, Yosemite, Grand Teton, and the 14ers before they were truly overwhelmed.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

i'm surprised it took this long. that is a hike that becomes much more dangerous with crowds.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:03 am i'm surprised it took this long. that is a hike that becomes much more dangerous with crowds.
This. It's especially true since a lot of people on the route are people that shouldn't be there. Personally, I think they should just remove the cables like they did on other similar hikes in the park.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Scott P wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:08 am
timisimaginary wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:03 am i'm surprised it took this long. that is a hike that becomes much more dangerous with crowds.
This. It's especially true since a lot of people on the route are people that shouldn't be there. Personally, I think they should just remove the cables like they did on other similar hikes in the park.
Agreed.

I always thought Angels landing was overrated compared to other hikes in the region, but I was glad that it drew a lot of the crowds (similar to how the 14ers draw the crowds away from better hikes in CO). In this sense, I'm selfishly disappointed to see permit systems put in place.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i think the spike is mostly from TikTok and insta-reels.. people are JUST finding out there's some cool stuff out west.

more permits = less trash and decreased interest. where do i sign?
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Sigh, now you got plan more.

When I last did Angels in 2019, it was half Chinese tourists, many who didnt know what a class 3 hike was like.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

I visited Angel's Landing on Memorial Day this past year.

Permit the f*ck out of it.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

peter303 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:23 am Sigh, now you got plan more.

When I last did Angels in 2019, it was half Chinese tourists, many who didnt know what a class 3 hike was like.
I was there in early June of 2019 and it was almost all Chinese tourists. Going up and coming down the chained area the men were in shiny dress shoes and the women in heels. No way I was going up the chains I can’t believe they don’t have more fatalities. I longed for the first time I was there in April of 1997 when I didn’t meet a single person up or down.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

stephakett wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:04 am i think the spike is mostly from TikTok and insta-reels.. people are JUST finding out there's some cool stuff out west.

more permits = less trash and decreased interest. where do i sign?
not to quibble, but yosemite got overrun years ago.

otherwise yes i agree with pretty much everything else.
coneydogron
14ers: 52 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by coneydogron »

Was up there in June of this year... Total sh^t show. The permit system over there is long over due IMO.

Side note: Up high in the chains area a NPS science dude pointed out a California Condor he was up there looking for. Guess it was a big deal and was pretty cool to see it. Right place at the right time!
"A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't" - Tom Waits
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

coneydogron wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:43 pm Side note: Up high in the chains area a NPS science dude pointed out a California Condor he was up there looking for. Guess it was a big deal and was pretty cool to see it. Right place at the right time!
Yes, I saw that condor on my 2019 hike. I guess it was waiting for easy Chinese food.