Utah LIDAR analysis

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gahugafuga
14ers: 53 
13ers: 98
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Utah LIDAR analysis

Post by Gahugafuga »

beisner wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:58 pm

Salt Lake County has a new ranked peak: the previously-soft-ranked Peak 8192 in the Emigration Canyon area! The peak remained the exact same elevation, but the saddle dropped slightly. Now I'm kicking myself for not summiting this one the last time I was in the area; I'll have to make a trip back there. It looked like a horrible bushwhack, not particularly looking forward to it.

This should actually be really easy. In early December, I walked right past 8192 on my way to Black Mountain using the Emigration Miners Trail. From the trail, it will be a tolerable few hundred feet to the summit. I'll save it for next fall when the ticks are gone, but this one is a freebie.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

No secrets on triangle peak (Hobbs I think) that I know of. Was just curious of anything interesting other than a cool looking peak from the north side. Have yet to climb it, but looking forward.

And yes, Monte cristo and superior have been mislabeled on maps, and mc is def higher. Or maybe they’re correct on maps and mis placed in conversation?? Anyway, I’ll try to refocus on the LiDAR/ranking intent of your efforts. Just nice to see UT peaks getting some attention (but CO is still my first and truest love)
beisner
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beisner »

Gahugafuga wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:10 am
beisner wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:58 pm Salt Lake County has a new ranked peak: the previously-soft-ranked Peak 8192 in the Emigration Canyon area! The peak remained the exact same elevation, but the saddle dropped slightly. Now I'm kicking myself for not summiting this one the last time I was in the area; I'll have to make a trip back there. It looked like a horrible bushwhack, not particularly looking forward to it.
This should actually be really easy. In early December, I walked right past 8192 on my way to Black Mountain using the Emigration Miners Trail. From the trail, it will be a tolerable few hundred feet to the summit. I'll save it for next fall when the ticks are gone, but this one is a freebie.
Oh nice! Maybe the reason it didn't look appealing to me is because I'd just finished the sufferfest that was Black Mountain when I passed it.
greenonion wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:45 pm No secrets on triangle peak (Hobbs I think) that I know of. Was just curious of anything interesting other than a cool looking peak from the north side. Have yet to climb it, but looking forward.

And yes, Monte cristo and superior have been mislabeled on maps, and mc is def higher. Or maybe they’re correct on maps and mis placed in conversation?? Anyway, I’ll try to refocus on the LiDAR/ranking intent of your efforts. Just nice to see UT peaks getting some attention (but CO is still my first and truest love)
Haha, focus on whatever you want! It's not only my thread; anyone else is welcome to help with stuff of course :-D

Anyways, I've started doing a bit of analysis on Utah County Wasatch Range peaks. I have no plans to analyze every peak in the county (there's many more than in Salt Lake County), but I'd like to analyze all of the ones that have a reasonable shot at becoming ranked or de-ranked, or changing their elevation bracket. And we already have one new ranked 10er: Lightning Peak. Never been in the region myself, but it seems like quite the worthy addition. Of note: the peak was not previously soft-ranked.
Scott P wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:25 pm Mt. Baldy vs. Provo Peak.
Baldy is higher than Provo, 11071 to 11066 feet. Provo is also higher than East Provo

Timpanogos is also indeed higher than South Timp. And I know this one's not in the Wasatch, but I had to check: Flat Top Mountain is correctly listed as higher than Lowe Peak.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Congrats on finding the new peaks! Fun, isn't it?

I'm pretty busy these days but could probably check one or two of them to back up your results if you want.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

In Utah County, Loafer vs Santiquin and the peaks of Nebo would be interesting. North Nebo seems like it should remain as highest since it is 51 feet higher on current maps, but it is interesting all the older maps use the South summit elevation as the elevation of the peak.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
lukePlumley
14ers: 52 
13ers: 232
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lukePlumley »

Not Utah, but it would be great to check out He Devil vs. She Devil in Idaho for those Ultra-baggers out there.
"Ain't nothing to it, Listsofjohn made me do it!" -- Ice Cube
EigenDylan
14ers: 16  4 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EigenDylan »

Was looking at he/she devil but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have lidar coverage yet
beisner
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beisner »

I've just found easily the most impactful change yet, as it involves the probable complete de-ranking of a 1000+ foot prominence peak! But it also comes with a caveat. From the LIDAR data, when excluding man-made structures, Twin Peaks (the one near Strawberry Reservoir) is higher than Strawberry Peak by one single foot. Thus, according to a strict reading of the LIDAR data, the West Twin becomes ranked with over 1433 feet of prominence, while Strawberry drops fully off the ranking system with only 288 feet.

The complicating factor is: not only is West Twin only higher by one foot, but Strawberry Peak's summit has been heavily altered to build the equipment on top. It's entirely possible that Strawberry Peak was originally higher than the West Twin, but then the summit was altered enough to bring it below. Also, with only one extra foot over Strawberry, I don't think it's possible to say with high confidence that West Twin is truly higher. I'd say that if you want to be truly sure you've summited the 1000+ foot prominence peak in the area, you should summit both.

Eli Boardman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:04 am Congrats on finding the new peaks! Fun, isn't it?

I'm pretty busy these days but could probably check one or two of them to back up your results if you want.
Haha, it's surprisingly fun! If you have a chance to check Strawberry Peak and the West Twin, that would be great. It's so close to being in the error zone that I'd want a second opinion on it. Especially considering I had to exclude the man-made equipment from the top of Strawberry, which itself also introduces some uncertainty.
Scott P wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:42 am In Utah County, Loafer vs Santiquin and the peaks of Nebo would be interesting. North Nebo seems like it should remain as highest since it is 51 feet higher on current maps, but it is interesting all the older maps use the South summit elevation as the elevation of the peak.
Yep, North Nebo remains higher, and South Nebo remains unranked. I haven't yet checked Loafer or Santaquin, but I'll put it on the list.