Borah Peak (Idaho) Conditions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Borah Peak (Idaho) Conditions

Post by LetsGoMets »

Any Idahoians (is that right?) have any snow conditions beta on Borah Peak recently? Specifically looking at Chicken-Out Ridge. I'll probably overkill it and bring crampons and the normal snow gear anyway, but curious as if anyone has any first hand knowledge.

Thanks in advance!
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Borah Peak (Idaho) Conditions

Post by derekesq »

I was there last Sunday, June 18. Snow free to and through chicken out ridge - solid rock. Completely snow covered (feet deep) from there on up (until i turned around). I can post a picture tomorrow. Definitely recommend ice ax, worth bringing the crampons.
Last edited by derekesq on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who is John Galt
LetsGoMets
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Fantastic - much appreciated on the response (and picture if you can)!
derekesq
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

Borah pictures:

First is from the top of chicken our ridge looking toward the remainder of the route, the trail does not go over the two ridges but below.
COR forward.jpg
COR forward.jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 6256 times

Second - red is approximate route traveled - its longer than it looks and the rock formations are a lot larger than they look.
borah - route.jpg
borah - route.jpg (160.09 KiB) Viewed 6256 times
Who is John Galt
derekesq
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

Red circle is hiker continuing on the slope.
borah 3.jpg
borah 3.jpg (953.44 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
looking back, red arrow is top of chicken out, red dash is line we took on the way up, green is the way i went back - i preferred the rock climb over more snow slope.
borah 4.jpg
borah 4.jpg (775.15 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
Who is John Galt
LetsGoMets
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Great pictures, and great beta. I appreciate it!
LetsGoMets
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Bumping this with current conditions - climbed it today. Completely snow free minus the snow covered knife edge, which was pretty solid and slippery snow. I carried an axe and spikes with me, and would recommend both in the immediate future. As for the infamous ridge, I stayed pretty high on the ridge proper. Class 3 is probably the extent, but the exposure in a couple places may push a Class 4 depending on your route. All in all a fantastic (and steep) climb with amazing views.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Brucedg wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:23 am Thanks for this interesting info , planning to visit soon. :-D

Bruce
Commercial Power Washing
Hi Bruce - Please don't take this as arrogant, negative, or condescending. I notice that you joined 14ers.com recently. I also noticed that this Borah Peak conditions thread is from July 2017 and is covering conditions at that time. Just wanted to be sure you got the complete context here since you are visiting there soon. (me too hopefully later this year!) All the best and hope you have a great time with Borah and it's cool ridge! I probably should have PM'd you, but want to make sure others get same context.

go
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Brucedg wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:23 am Thanks for this interesting info , planning to visit soon. :-D

Bruce
Commercial Power Washing
If you're curious what conditions are like when it is dry, here's my trip report from a while back - https://www.mountainouswords.com/mounta ... highpoint/
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There is a spam link in his post. I doubt that he is interested in Borah.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Scott P wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:32 am There is a spam link in his post. I doubt that he is interested in Borah.
aha. somehow missed that.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Bump for anyone who might have been up there lately.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."