Borah Peak (Idaho) Conditions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Borah Peak (Idaho) Conditions

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

^It'll be dry, or very nearly dry, dude.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Chipmunk
14ers: 58  3  25 
13ers: 323 18 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chipmunk »

Hiking it tomorrow. Beta I have from 6 days ago indicates there's still snow on the standard route (ridge direct is dry) and knife edge. Planning on bringing crampons and axe.
The Android
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by The Android »

It's a dry range, and would normally be very dry by now, but had lots of late season snow this year. Possibly some snow above chicken out ridge as of a few days ago? Should be melting fast, upper 80s or low 90s regularly in E. Idaho valleys.

This group posts semi-regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/groups/521888284866459
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Borah was a fun hike today, happy we brought our ice axe and crampons. We used the crampons to cross dome steep snowfields on the way up. Then on the way down we just stuck to the dry ridge. I think many people underestimate that peak. We saw 12 of the 14 people we passed in the morning turn around at the snow bridge. Three others made the summit before us. Then we saw another 5 going up past the snow bridge. So it can be done without an ice axe, but it is light enough and I like living do I used mine.
Here is our Strava data
https://strava.app.link/cRq3a3CFlrb
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months