Contiguous US 14ers

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HarryQuach
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Contiguous US 14ers

Post by HarryQuach »

Fletch wrote:California speed record is something like 10 days or something, so concievably with enough cash and a little luck with the weather, one could climb all the lower 14ers in, what, 6-8 weeks or something?

Also, if you add in the AK 14ers, then you would need to add in anything >15,000 too, right? Then the list gets MUCH more interesting...

All the US mountains above 14,000. That would be real. Or, even all the mountains in NA >14,000. Only add in a few more in Canada and Mexico. But the 14+ crowd outside of the lower 48 is no joke...
The Cali speed record is actually 4 days 11 hours and change http://www.summitpost.org/trip%20report ... -jack.html
http://www.socalpeaks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alright!
landcruiserbob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by landcruiserbob »

I have been lurking on this site for years but I have never posted until recently regarding the missing hiker on Holy Cross. Below is My two cents that really doesn't matter.:)

I've hit most of the cont. 14er's over the years. I'm missing a few lame ones on the front range of Colorado & also missing two in California. I do the annual bike race up Mt Evan's & this years bike race up pikes peak so I guess I can technically say I've hit all but the two in California. The best route up Mt Evan's is the technical black wall which has amazing rock climbing above 12,000 ft. The North Pillar route up the needle stands out also since the weather can play a significant role. The casual route (5.10) up the Diamond on Longs is the best 14'er out there followed closely by Whitney's blocky moonscape technical climbing. Rainier was fun but over rated while Shasta stands out in my mind as a fun peak if you do Sargent's ridge.

A lot of the speed records out there are a big waste of time & don't get hung up on them. I have done a few accents in the central mountains under the posted records but I have a few friends that I run with who have done them much faster but never posted their times. It's all irrelevant. Fritz Stamberger held a lot of the winter accent records but few knew about his summer records up the peaks.

What really matters & makes them memorable is the STYLE in which you do them. Do the hardest line that you are physically capable of & you will always remember your effort......
Brian Kalet
14ers: 58  12  2 
13ers: 304 44 13
Trip Reports (144)

Post by Brian Kalet »

Jim Davies wrote:According to this, the Smith family (father and four sons) climbed all 68 then-recognized 14ers in the contiguous US in 48 days, in 1974. The youngest (Tyle) was 8 years old. This is also mentioned in the intro to Roach's 14er book, although he says only Quade and Tyle did the 68 peaks (there might be some confusion with the later speed record set by these two, in 1990).
Thanks, Jim. That is an informative page. I've added it to the California 14ers page.
Jim Davies wrote:The Smiths did them in 48 days, in 1974, without a support team.
I believe the Smiths did not include Challenger Point. If this is true, I would conclude they climbed the then-known contiguous US 14ers, but did not climb 67 ranked contiguous US 14ers.
Jim Davies wrote:Chris Davenport is close to skiing all the contiguous US 14ers; he has two in California left.
Chris Daveport, also, during his project did not include Challenger Point.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

kalet wrote:I believe the Smiths did not include Challenger Point. If this is true, I would conclude they climbed the then-known contiguous US 14ers, but did not climb 67 ranked contiguous US 14ers.
Possibly true, but the tradition has been to climb the list as then recognized. For example, Blaurock and Ervin only climbed something like 51 14ers, but are still recognized as the first to finish the Colorado list.

I kind of wondered about Davenport myself, since he doesn't have that excuse; the speed-climbing guys have been including Challenger at least since 1993 (Jeff Wagener). Probably a minor quibble in this case, since the only prior for his skiing list was Lou Dawson, who apparently didn't ski it either.

EDIT: Reading more carefully, I see that Dawson did ski Challenger, as well as North Eolus and North Massive. He was exactingly precise in his rules, so I'm sorry to have overlooked that.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
TennesseeDave
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TennesseeDave »

In August 2014 I was fortunate to have scurried up my final 14er...summiting all 70+ 14er peaks in the lower 48 (Colorado, California, and Washington). Many people and many websites contributed beta, pictures, reports, advice, etc on how to best achieve this and I sincerely appreciate all whom did.
If anyone is in need of some info that may help in their journey, feel free to reach out.
Cheers,

~David Twillmann (TennesseeDave)
uzbekdave@hotmail.com
TennesseeDave
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TennesseeDave »

In August 2014 I was fortunate to have scurried up my final 14er...summiting all 70+ 14er peaks in the lower 48 (Colorado, California, and Washington). Many people and many websites contributed beta, pictures, reports, advice, etc on how to best achieve this and I sincerely appreciate all whom did.
If anyone is in need of some info that may help in their journey, feel free to reach out.
Cheers,

~David Twillmann (TennesseeDave)
uzbekdave@hotmail.com
phlakin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by phlakin »

Like others on this post, my climbing partner - Kevin Duncan - and I were lucky enough to top out on our last contiguous US 14er last week, August 5th. We had to hike back up the very long trail to grab Tyndall, after missing it a couple of years before when we climbed Williamson in CA. It feels good - and bad - to be done. So many memories, friendships, and stories are part of each one of the 70+ peaks. So many more of the same things, though, await us on mountains all across the globe. Can't wait to continue to climb, as long as my legs will carry me. Thanks to all on this site - and to Roach and others who wrote the books that I used - that helped me get to the top.
The mountains one gazes at, reads about, dreams of and desires are not the mountains one climbs -- Robert Macfarlane
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

bj wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 pm I have some interest in this too. I've finished the 15 California 14'ers, 6 in Colorado and intend to finish the rest of the contiguous 48 14’ers.

Here's my best guess:

Rainier summiteers in the tens of thousands (those that have done both of Rainier's summits in the hundreds).
Colorado 14'er finishers number in the thousands.
California 14'er finishers number in the hundreds.

Those who have climbed them all probably well under 100. Add the 3000' rule, people who have done both summits of Rainier, 15 California Peaks, and 58 Colorado; Maybe no one??

I've met one guy who claimed he'd climbed them all (70).

I doubt I'll ever finish using the 3000' rule, but I do plan to climb all the fringe 14'ers.
I seem to remember Andrew Hamilton posting a few years ago that he had climbed them all.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Brian Kalet
14ers: 58  12  2 
13ers: 304 44 13
Trip Reports (144)

Post by Brian Kalet »

Here is the current list of completers that I am aware of. Feel free to send me any information you may have indicating Andrew Hamilton's, Kevin Duncan's or phlakin's completion of all 67 peaks on the list.
https://www.summitpost.org/contiguous-us-14ers/218991
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

Andrew and I completed the 74 in the last couple years. As did Kyle Knutson - We were debating if liberty cap Counted- But seems the consensus is no.
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
bj
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bj »

Since my first post here in 2010 I've climbed a total of 75 unique 14'ers in the contiguous 48. My bonus peak in Colorado was Sunlight Spire. I have not submitted Liberty Cap on Rainier so I'm not quite done, but my knees are shot now and I don't think I'll ever get my 76th 14'er done..

And yes Liberty Cap should be counted, as well the California 14'er list should have all 15. No Californian would consider the 14'ers complete if they had only done 12.
Last edited by bj on Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

bj wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:10 am Since my first post here in 2010 I've climbed a total of 75 unique 14'ers in the contiguous 48. My bonus peak in Colorado was Sunlight Spire. I have not submitted Liberty Cap on Rainier so I'm not quite done, but my knees are shot now and I don't think I'll ever get my 76th 14'er done..

And yes Liberty Cap should be counted, as well the California 14'er list should have all 15. No Californian would consider that the 14'ers complete if they had only done 12.
But who would claim now a days, they had done all California 14ers and only do 12?

I think (I don’t remember the exact number ) in the Cascade Range the standard is 800 feet to be a separate peak.

We would like to get back and do Liberty Cap though in the near future too
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”