Mt. Peale (UT) Conditions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
funkyhiker
14ers: 34  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Peale (UT) Conditions

Post by funkyhiker »

Anyone have any information on Mt. Peale or other La Sal peaks? Snow conditions?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Mt. Peale (UT) Conditions

Post by Scott P »

I haven't climb them recently, but I drove by them a few days ago and will see them again tomorrow. From what I can tell, snow level is around 11,000 feet, but with less snow on south facing slopes.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Scott P wrote:I drove by them a few days ago and will see them again tomorrow. From what I can tell, snow level is around 11,000 feet.
Scott is correct the current snow level is around 11,000 feet but there are significant snow drifts below tree line down to 9,000 feet or so. As of yesterday (6-1-15), when I spoke with the Forest Service, the only roads that are snow, mud, and dead fall free and open to the end are the Warner and Oowah Lake roads. The Geyser Pass road is closed by snow drifts a bit past the Gold Basin turnoff (about 3 miles from the top), and the Beaver and Miners Basin roads are still closed at the bottom.

Also, the La Sal Pass road near Old La Sal is blocked by snow drifts about 1/2 mile past the creek crossing or 5 miles from the top of La Sal Pass, which would add about 10 miles round trip if you were planning on climbing Mount Peale via the standard route from La Sal Pass. That being said, it should only take a couple of weeks before things fully melt out. It is currently in the 90's here in Moab this week, and despite some rain showers forecast for Friday and Saturday, it looks like the summer temps are finally sticking around.

In the meantime, the peaks in the central and northern part of the range (such as Haystack Mountain, Mount Waas, Manns and Tomaski, etc.) are accessible from Warner and Oowah Lakes if you have some snow gear (waterproof boots, gaiters, microspikes or crampons, and an ice axe or trekking poles) and are interested...

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
voxnihili
14ers: 10 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by voxnihili »

Has anyone been out that way this week? I'd like to go out there this weekend and am wondering how the melt is coming along.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

voxnihili wrote:Has anyone been out that way this week? I'd like to go out there this weekend and am wondering how the melt is coming along.
I live in Moab and have spent the past couple weekends hiking/climbing in the northern part of the range. Things have pretty much melted out below treeline but there are still patches of snow and mud here and there. Above treeline, on most of the peaks there are patches of snow on the south and west facing aspects and considerable snow on the north and east facing aspects. Avalanche danger is low to non-existent on most slopes, although there is probably a slight chance of wet slides in steep, snowy areas as things warm up later in the day. Waterproof boots, gaiters, crampons or microspikes and an ice axe/trekking poles are recommended.

As far as roads are concerned, the Geyser Pass road is now open to the top (where the turnoff for Moonlight Meadows and Burro Pass is), but there are a few snow drifts and muddy sections in the road that require some clearance and maybe 4WD (I drove my stock Ford Ranger XLT up there without an issue in 2WD last weekend). I'm not sure about the La Sal Pass road from the Old La Sal (Highway 46) side, and haven't heard a status report for a couple of weeks but I'm guessing it has similar conditions to the Geyser Pass road (snow drifts and mud in spots). You can call the Moab Ranger District to find out for sure - 435-259-7155.

I'm headed up there this weekend to do a peak-to-peak traverse and can update things further on Sunday.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
voxnihili
14ers: 10 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by voxnihili »

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Just an FYI for anyone looking to climb in the La Sals in the near future, I hiked Mount Peale this weekend and here is a conditions update.

The road to La Sal Pass is clear and dry with only the occasional muddy spot where snow is melting and running down the road. The creek crossing at the bottom is runny fairly deep and fast about 12-18 inches and I would recommend a vehicle with clearance to cross it (SUV, truck, etc).

The lower portions of Peak are dry. The top half to two thirds of the gully on Peale's standard route is still full of snow and it is unavoidable without climbing steep loose angle rock and scree. There are 3 foot drifts in places and it was pretty much bulletproof ice at 6:00 AM when I was ascending. I was glad to have micro spikes and trekking poles at the very least for the steep sections (at around 35 degrees), but for those with less snow experience you may want crampons and an ice axe for these sections at least for the next few weeks until the snow has melted out and is avoidable.

The summit ridge has a few patches of snow but they are mostly avoidable. On the descent at around 10:30 AM the snow had softened enough to standing glissade and plunge step where necessary but not enough to post hole. The firmer/icier areas I put my micro spikes back on for.

Also for those doing the Tuk to Peale traverse, PLEASE stay on the Razor Fang ridge and don't drop and do the traverse. I saw a group of 6-7 people who bailed from the ridge before the start of the towers and had descended to cross the ridge below the crest. They were struggling to regain the ridge from below, in the process causing huge rock slides to cascade down the south face and I could see mini-fridge size rocks rolling down the slopes from above. Luckily no one got hurt.

Anyway, I just wanted to put that out there...

Kai

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick
cecilshapland
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cecilshapland »

Hello, I'm interested in summiting Mt. Peale memorial day weekend...Is it in? or still too snowy
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

cecilshapland wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:00 pm Hello, I'm interested in summiting Mt. Peale memorial day weekend...Is it in? or still too snowy
It's in if you know how to use an ice axe. The route is easier and more fun with snow.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.