Tetons, Wind River range, Online forums

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Re: Tetons, Wind River range, Online forums

Post by Tony1 »

Summitpost is really going to be your best bet - you may need to get over your grudge. There's plenty of information there. I find it to be incredibly useful when researching any of Wyoming's ranges.
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

nomad_games wrote:Info on the Wind River High Route

http://www.adventurealan.com/wind-river ... ute-guide/
Just adding to the Wind River info

https://andrewskurka.com/adventures/win ... igh-route/
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

dpage wrote:
nomad_games wrote:Info on the Wind River High Route

http://www.adventurealan.com/wind-river ... ute-guide/
Just adding to the Wind River info

https://andrewskurka.com/adventures/win ... igh-route/
Honestly, and I know I'll get bashed for saying this, but Skurka's take on the Wind Rivers shows everything wrong with the commercialization of the wilderness. Paying someone else to create your itinerary seems really not fitting with the character of wilderness, especially someplace like the Winds. If your response is "oh, but some people are too busy to plan a trip themselves," I would question where this overly fast and on-demand society is taking us. The fact that Skurka wants to make a buck off this really shows (IMHO) that he does not understand or care about the tradition of the Winds and other similar places. Go ahead,flame on. :)
(Before anyone criticizes me for putting this on a forum instead of contacting him directly, be assured that I have talked about it with him over email in the past.)
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Eli Boardman wrote:<snip> If your response is "oh, but some people are too busy to plan a trip themselves," I would question where this overly fast and on-demand society is taking us. The fact that Skurka wants to make a buck off this really shows (IMHO) that he does not understand or care about the tradition of the Winds and other similar places. Go ahead,flame on. :)
(Before anyone criticizes me for putting this on a forum instead of contacting him directly, be assured that I have talked about it with him over email in the past.)
You're kinda young for this... but I'll get off your lawn.

:mrgreen:
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Eli Boardman wrote:Skurka's take on the Wind Rivers shows everything wrong with the commercialization of the wilderness.
Nice homie. You backed up a suspicion I've had for years about the dude. Its a shame really cause Skurka's endurance and skill in covering terrain is quite impressive. His solo traverse of the Brooks Range (and like all AK!) was downright badass but obviously solely done to get his name out there.

Truth is we live in a spoon feeding, McD/starbucks drive thur times. Sad but true. Thats why young crusties like us are crucial to remind people the ways it ought to/had been in times prior.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

I sense sarcasm.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Eli Boardman wrote:The fact that Skurka wants to make a buck off this really shows (IMHO) that he does not understand or care about the tradition of the Winds and other similar places.
One question admitting now that I probably don’t understand your point fully.

What’s wrong with trying to make a living off of your love of the outdoors? Do you also hate all other guides? Any job that involves “selling nature” like photographers, painters, guidebook authors, mountain-based websites? I totally can’t stand seeing swarms of people out in the hills but admire people who work in the areas they love to support their own passions. Not everybody can do cool stuff in the mountains without having to work to make the money to pay for their endevours.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Brian C wrote:What’s wrong with trying to make a living off of your love of the outdoors? Do you also hate all other guides?
Certainly not, and I don't hate Skurka, I just strongly disagree with his ethic. Most places I don't see a problem with this sort of thing, but the Winds have a long tradition of obscurity and a "DIY" feel (take a look at the first guidebooks). Perhaps I am too protective of my favorite range; in fact, that's probably the case. I have nothing at all against the other jobs you listed like photography/painting, as sharing beauty with others is never a bad thing. I would argue, and most would disagree, that taking prescribed itineraries somewhere like the winds infringes on the beauty that the traveler experiences and his ultimate sense of connection to the place, but I'm not afraid to be proven wrong.

It's interesting to note the movement of guidebooks from short descriptions of individual features (i.e. "this trail crosses that pass in x miles, that peak is 5.x difficulty and the pitches go roughly here, this glacier is fairly crevassed") to full routes that no longer require the traveler to put together the puzzle pieces. A quick comparison of the Bonney & Bonney or old Kelsey guidebooks with the new Pallister guidebook (which still is useful, but different), will clearly show this progression. (IIRC, Pallister has stated that she would have preferred to present the material in the old style, but publishers are only interested in full routes these days.) Is this progression to wilderness consumerism good? Sometimes, some places, probably. Everywhere? I hope not.

Young crusty over and out. :lol:
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Eli Boardman wrote:
Brian C wrote:<snip> but the Winds have a long tradition of obscurity and a "DIY" feel (take a look at the first guidebooks). Perhaps I am too protective of my favorite range; in fact, that's probably the case.
Yup. You are. NTTAWWT.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

So let me get this straight, people are salty about sharing information online and are complaining about it on a website that shares routes and information and is the first stop for many people to get information? :-k
Otzi
14ers: 58 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Otzi »

Bombay2Boulder wrote:So let me get this straight, people are salty about sharing information online and are complaining about it on a website that shares routes and information and is the first stop for many people to get information? :-k
Exactly, and the aforementioned poster who has a problem with this has recently posted a trip report of his version of the WRHR/Traverse (ala Skurka who he just complained about for issuing such information on his beloved Winds) and another trip report from the Tetons. In actions, he does not appear to want to keep the Winds or Wyoming information a secret as his words state. In fact, I'm planning my own version of a WRHR for next August and have garnered more information about it from him than Skurka, as I'm not willing to pay for information. So in my case, he, not Skurka, is providing more information on the Winds, creating more footsteps in the Winds, and all while he complains about Skurka for what he is doing himself. I prize solitude above all else as well, but consider it mine to earn through hard work not through censoring information.