Tetons, Wind River range, Online forums

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Tetons, Wind River range, Online forums

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

The irony is not lost on me.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Nothing stays the same.....deal with it. Time was when my Grampa drove around a horsedrawn cart, cutting huge blocks of ice off the lake in Minnesota, then delivering these blocks to folks for their "ice box". Damn refrigerators....they ruined everything!

The irony of the last few posts (read Eli) is comical. If people don't want info and wanna do it "oldschool", then don't look it up! Problem solved.

Back to important stuff....
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

oldschool wrote:If people don't want info and wanna do it "oldschool", then don't look it up! Problem solved.
But what am I to do with my time when not in the mountains or climbing and only thinking about that stuff? All I notice is the continuous whoring of the outdoors.

Writing an informative TR with excerpts of how the experience moved you is truly a great thing, but the incessant spray and make it easy as possible mentality that is growing with an ever growing population going outside is very hard for me to just brush under the rug. Mostly because of the careless impacts towards the environment really.
Brian C wrote:What’s wrong with trying to make a living off of your love of the outdoors?
There are many supreme athletes (see Jornet, Honnold, Haley, Steck (RIP)) that recognize their carbon footprint and are always mindful of it when planning out trips and such. I go nuts about the drive 6 hours, hike 1 mile to get a photo then plaster it all over social media folk or how bout the drive way out to the desert even though the weather says its s**t but now let me whine on instagram how its raining. With the refrigerator came the advent of weather forecasting....Are you f'ing serious people?!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Otzi wrote:
Bombay2Boulder wrote:So let me get this straight, people are salty about sharing information online and are complaining about it on a website that shares routes and information and is the first stop for many people to get information? :-k
Exactly, and the aforementioned poster who has a problem with this has recently posted a trip report of his version of the WRHR/Traverse (ala Skurka who he just complained about for issuing such information on his beloved Winds) and another trip report from the Tetons. In actions, he does not appear to want to keep the Winds or Wyoming information a secret as his words state. In fact, I'm planning my own version of a WRHR for next August and have garnered more information about it from him than Skurka, as I'm not willing to pay for information. So in my case, he, not Skurka, is providing more information on the Winds, creating more footsteps in the Winds, and all while he complains about Skurka for what he is doing himself. I prize solitude above all else as well, but consider it mine to earn through hard work not through censoring information.
People are completely misunderstanding what I'm saying, possibly intentionally because of bias because I'm not old enough to have an opinion, much less a good one.

It's wonderful that mine, and others', trip reports and photographs inspire people to explore some of the best of our public lands! However, go re-read the last part of my trip report before you lump me in with Skurka. There's a huge difference between saying "these areas are cool to visit, here's some pictures," and "here's exactly how to get there." Even the map at the end only roughly shows the areas I visited; it is intentionally vague. On the other hand, Skurka will tell you the exact details of every leg of the journey, from the elevation gain of every pass to which side of a creek to go up.

Otzi, you seem to be doing exactly what I did (and recommend) for the Winds and similar places--using trip reports, photos, maps, descriptions from many sources, etc., to decide where you want to go, and then planning your own perfect line. I hope you have a great time, and take lost of mosquito repellent!

For those commenting that "times change" or pointing out the "irony" of discussing this on 14ers.com, you're just proving my point. Change, just because it is new, is not necessarily good. Look what the availability of extremely detailed information (and not just from 14ers.com) has led to in Colorado (go climb a 14er on a summer weekend if you don't know what I'm talking about). As I said before (and everyone conveniently ignored), this is probably appropriate for the Colorado 14ers, where the cities are closer to the peaks and the routes are well-defined already. If I can't say that I hope this same transformation won't happen in Wyoming on here, then am I supposed to just go holler it into the wind? Probably, some of you would prefer that. As for me, I think if we all voiced the same opinions it would be rather boring.

Let me reiterate once again: I'm not trying to "keep everyone out" or "keep it a secret," and I hope that mine and others' reports will inspire others to venture into these wild ranges. What I hope to see preserved in the Winds and similar places is a requirement for some measure of individuality and self reliance in routefinding and trip planning. I trust that even those that dislike me the most on these boards can see the difference between sharing information freely and with the intention to inspire further exploration, and hand-holding for a profit.

I always try to present my opinions respectfully and after careful thought, and if I have failed to do so here, then please accept my sincere apologies. I would request that others make an attempt at being thoughtful in their responses, too.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Eli Boardman wrote:<snip> What I hope to see preserved in the Winds and similar places is a requirement for some measure of individuality and self reliance in routefinding and trip planning.
Here's an alternate view: the Winds haven't been "wild" since the 70's. For the Tetons - it was well before that.

There are wild ranges left... but they aren't the Winds or the Tetons. They are Wyoming's version of the Sawatch and Front Ranges...
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Snowboarding will never replace skiing
dannyg23
14ers: 54  43 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by dannyg23 »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Brian C wrote:What’s wrong with trying to make a living off of your love of the outdoors?
There are many supreme athletes (see Jornet, Honnold, Haley, Steck (RIP)) that recognize their carbon footprint and are always mindful of it when planning out trips and such. I go nuts about the drive 6 hours, hike 1 mile to get a photo then plaster it all over social media folk or how bout the drive way out to the desert even though the weather says its s**t but now let me whine on instagram how its raining. With the refrigerator came the advent of weather forecasting....Are you f'ing serious people?!
You're one of my oldest friends, so I say this from a place of love, but you're way too high strung for a stoner. Crim wasn't even talking about the environment or driving or any of that. You can turn anything into an environmental rant.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:Snowboarding will never replace skiing
Do people actually snowboard any more? I thought all that 1st wave of snowboarders all converted over to alpine skiing?

I guess it has been long enough that snowboarding may become cool/hot/hip again?

:mrgreen:
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

You can make anything cool, but first you need to be cool. See today's Olympic news on how to be uncool.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

I’m so confused now. Way too many conflicting arguments all going on at the same time.
Eli Boardman wrote:Most places I don't see a problem with this sort of thing, but the Winds have a long tradition of obscurity and a "DIY" feel..,
My main point was that most people have to work to make the money to recreate and not just have the cash on hand to fund the habit. To me, it seems admirable to try and make a living doing what you love to fund the passion as well. I super agree it sucks to see areas you love get flooded, but your argument above doesn’t make any sense sense it can or could have been made for everywhere.
FireOnTheMountain wrote:With the refrigerator came the advent of weather forecasting....Are you f'ing serious people?!
:?: :?: :?:
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

total environmental disillusionment is only the logical progression at this point.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Hey OP,
I found highsierratopix somewhat helpful. I haven't browsed the forums, but I posted once or twice asking for opinions/advice on backpacking trips and base camps for harder climbs, etc. Quite a few people responded with great things to say. It actually struck me how the forum was far less dismissive and hostile to a newcomer than....um....some other state's mountaineering/hiking forums. You might check it out for your California fix. Good luck.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.