Favorite Wilderness Area?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BerkeleyBuff
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Favorite Wilderness Area?

Post by BerkeleyBuff »

CHWitte wrote:Holy Cross Wilderness for several reasons...
1. Beauty
2. Remote nature of much of it
3. History - 10th Mountain Division training during WWII in the area of Homestake Creek/Homestake Peak
I'm quite partial to Holy Cross. 'Twas my first 14er, and still the best view I remember from any of them (up to 29 now).
BerkeleyBuff
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BerkeleyBuff »

nyker wrote:
LURE wrote:
nyker wrote: The Weminuche, the peaks, the colors and remoteness...the possibility of a grizzly...
I think I get what you're getting at. If you're not getting at what I think you're getting at, there ain't grizzles down there.

Unless, you're saying, that of all the places in Colorado there might be a grizz going undetected, it's the weminuche. Which is fun to think about, but I douubbbt it.
yes, you're gettin' it!
"The Lost Grizzlies" and "Ghost Grizzlies" are both great reads.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yes, I have read them both! Agree, great books. I'm always wary of the eyes of the night watching...never know...