Eastern Sierra Recommendations

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
psycholoco
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Eastern Sierra Recommendations

Post by psycholoco »

Hey all!

I'll be heading out to climb some CA 14ers next week and looking for recommendations on some good areas to set up base camp where my wife and kids (7 & 9) will have plenty of fun stuff to do while I'm in the mountains. I've never been to the Eastern Sierras, so I'm pretty wide open as to which peaks to hit. I'm more interested in which areas would be better for the fam, and some ideas for things they could do. Kids are not terribly fond of hiking, so probably something closer to one of the larger towns. I'll base my hiking agenda on where they'll be most happy.

On a side note, if anyone will be in the area and are up for some fast(ish) day hikes of the CA 14ers, let me know.

TIA,
Mike
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Eastern Sierra Recommendations

Post by climbnowworklater »

Psycholoco....haven't seen that name in a while! Right on Mike, hope you're doing well. I'm heading out to CA next summer and it'd be great to meet up. I'll be sure to reach out when closer to planning.
Take care,
Jon
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

By base camp, do you you mean actual camping, or like a hotel/vacation rental type thing?

Anyway...my general suggestion would be the Bishop area. Lots of hiking options as well as other sightseeing (for example, the ancient bristlecone pine forest in the White Mountains), swimming (North and South Lakes), horseback riding (South Lake), rock climbing (Owens Gorge, Alabama Hills), shops, restaurants, etc. in Bishop itself. Depending on your answer to whether you are planning to camp or not, I can give some recommendations on where to stay.
psycholoco
Trip Reports (0)

Post by psycholoco »

AlexeyD wrote:By base camp, do you you mean actual camping, or like a hotel/vacation rental type thing?

Anyway...my general suggestion would be the Bishop area. Lots of hiking options as well as other sightseeing (for example, the ancient bristlecone pine forest in the White Mountains), swimming (North and South Lakes), horseback riding (South Lake), rock climbing (Owens Gorge, Alabama Hills), shops, restaurants, etc. in Bishop itself. Depending on your answer to whether you are planning to camp or not, I can give some recommendations on where to stay.
Probably some of both...maybe a couple nights camping and a couple nights in a hotel/vacation rental. Bishop had been my first thought, but weather is looking pretty warm for next week. Maybe a good time for the hotel portion.
psycholoco
Trip Reports (0)

Post by psycholoco »

climbnowworklater wrote:Psycholoco....haven't seen that name in a while! Right on Mike, hope you're doing well. I'm heading out to CA next summer and it'd be great to meet up. I'll be sure to reach out when closer to planning.
Take care,
Jon
Yes, that would be awesome! Would love to have a similar minded hiking partner for some CA peaks. And of course you're welcome to stay with us (although we're not very close to any peaks).
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

lone pine and big pine are going to be very hot this time of year. Mammoth is going to be better.
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

psycholoco wrote:Probably some of both...maybe a couple nights camping and a couple nights in a hotel/vacation rental. Bishop had been my first thought, but weather is looking pretty warm for next week. Maybe a good time for the hotel portion.
South Lake has a nice campground within about a mile of the trailhead, and is high enough to stay cool. There is a shuttle that runs regularly from town, which can be nice if you have only one car. I think North Lake has one as well, but I haven't been there.

Lee Vining/Mono Lake could be another option for you guys. That whole area is quite a bit higher than Bishop, so could be a better option if the weather is really hot. The only downside is that Lee Vining isn't much of a town compared to Bishop, so much less "urban" type attractions there. However, there are nice campgrounds along Tioga Road just east of Lee Vining, and Tuolumne Meadows is only a short drive away. Mono Lake is pretty neat; June Lake and Twin Lakes are not far and nice for swimming, boating, etc.

Hard to go wrong in that area, really. Not a huge fan of Mammoth personally, but it's probably not a bad option for the kids.

Enjoy!
psycholoco
Trip Reports (0)

Post by psycholoco »

AlexeyD wrote:
psycholoco wrote:Probably some of both...maybe a couple nights camping and a couple nights in a hotel/vacation rental. Bishop had been my first thought, but weather is looking pretty warm for next week. Maybe a good time for the hotel portion.
South Lake has a nice campground within about a mile of the trailhead, and is high enough to stay cool. There is a shuttle that runs regularly from town, which can be nice if you have only one car. I think North Lake has one as well, but I haven't been there.

Lee Vining/Mono Lake could be another option for you guys. That whole area is quite a bit higher than Bishop, so could be a better option if the weather is really hot. The only downside is that Lee Vining isn't much of a town compared to Bishop, so much less "urban" type attractions there. However, there are nice campgrounds along Tioga Road just east of Lee Vining, and Tuolumne Meadows is only a short drive away. Mono Lake is pretty neat; June Lake and Twin Lakes are not far and nice for swimming, boating, etc.

Hard to go wrong in that area, really. Not a huge fan of Mammoth personally, but it's probably not a bad option for the kids.

Enjoy!
Thank you! Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Any time! Feel free to PM me with mountain-related questions as well.
j babu
Trip Reports (0)

Post by j babu »

As mentioned above, Bishop and the other towns south of Mammoth will be really hot this time of year, so basing your family out of Mammoth could be better (or Lee Vining, etc., though not much there). Mammoth is like Breckenridge (fancier resort town) and Bishop is like Buena Vista (working class mountain town) in terms of amenities and temps. But it's a good drive south of Mammoth to get to what are likely your trailheads for 14ers in Lone Pine or Big Pine.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

there are a ton of options on the east side. horseshoe meadow out of lone pine has easy day hiking options and car camping options, mosquito flat north of bishop is even better in terms of day hiking. onion valley near lone pine is one of my favourite spots in the eastern sierra and has great day hikes as well as developed camp spots if you can get one. there's also great options at saddlebag lake near lee vining / mono lake.

important to remember that many trails in the sierra require permits unless done as a day hike, and some require permits even then.
psycholoco
Trip Reports (0)

Post by psycholoco »

j babu wrote:As mentioned above, Bishop and the other towns south of Mammoth will be really hot this time of year, so basing your family out of Mammoth could be better (or Lee Vining, etc., though not much there). Mammoth is like Breckenridge (fancier resort town) and Bishop is like Buena Vista (working class mountain town) in terms of amenities and temps. But it's a good drive south of Mammoth to get to what are likely your trailheads for 14ers in Lone Pine or Big Pine.
brichardsson wrote:there are a ton of options on the east side. horseshoe meadow out of lone pine has easy day hiking options and car camping options, mosquito flat north of bishop is even better in terms of day hiking. onion valley near lone pine is one of my favourite spots in the eastern sierra and has great day hikes as well as developed camp spots if you can get one. there's also great options at saddlebag lake near lee vining / mono lake.

important to remember that many trails in the sierra require permits unless done as a day hike, and some require permits even then.
Thanks guys...getting some great options! Everything will be done as day hikes in the Bob Burd style :-D