High point in Idaho - Borah

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cocabingrl
Trip Reports (0)

High point in Idaho - Borah

Post by Cocabingrl »

Headed to Idaho to climb Borah on labor day weekend...anyone climbed Idaho's high point and have tips or suggestions?
Chicken out ridge looks intense and the notch has a tricky spot or two but it's always hard to tell from video and photos...
Taking trek poles, gloves, good boots but other than that, wasn't going to get to technical.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: High point in Idaho - Borah

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Hike to the top and then come down safely. Sounds like you got all the other details hashed out nicely.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Cocabingrl wrote:Headed to Idaho to climb Borah on labor day weekend...anyone climbed Idaho's high point and have tips or suggestions?
Chicken out ridge looks intense and the notch has a tricky spot or two but it's always hard to tell from video and photos...
Taking trek poles, gloves, good boots but other than that, wasn't going to get to technical.
Snowbridge appears to be a non issue this year based on other posts, but that was the trickiest part. I attached a picture from last year, its was pretty icy and spikes were useful. The rope in the pic is a fixed rope for the downclimb.
Attachments
20170728_083110.jpg
20170728_083110.jpg (815.3 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
triyoda
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by triyoda »

my recollection was I didn't even notice Chicken out ridge was really a thing, but the snowbridge got my attention. It's not difficult, but a slip there would be a problem.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

The snow bridge was completely melted out when I had gone many years ago. The crossing is easy on the bare rock. CoR is mostly just easy 2nd class. Nothing is very exposed on the whole route IMHO. The drive to the TH was the problem, especially if you are trying to do the peak over a regular weekend. My son was only 10 when we went so it was a bunch of hours for me behind the wheel. Watch out for deer in Wyoming! After summiting, I managed to drive a couple hours back towards Denver, puked, and fell sound asleep.
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by climbnowworklater »

Just did Borah last week. 3:52 TH to summit. Snow bridge is in but easy enough to pass. Here is a pic of me just before the bridge. You can see it is in, but, clearly people have tracked it out and it's passable w/o spikes...cautiouusly. Then again, by Labor Day it may be gone. No rope when I was there. COR and it's challenge will be based on your skill set and confidence on class 3. Also included is a pic of myself down-climbing the "ridge". I'd say it's easier than Kelso or Tour D'Abyss, imho. Best of luck and safe travels.
Attachments
Before the snow bridge
Before the snow bridge
borah1 (640x480).jpg (176.85 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
Down C.O.R.
Down C.O.R.
Borah 2 (640x480).jpg (242.64 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa