40 classics scrambles book

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

40 classics scrambles book

Post by mtn_nut »

I hope this is allowed, as the last post on this subject was allowed (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51203).

My friend Sean has a new book that he just released called the 40 classic scrambles of North America. The idea behind the book was to present something like the "Fifty Classic Climbs of North America" by Allen Steck and Steve Roper, however this list of classics could actually be completed by a competent mountaineer in a lifetime, unlike some of Steck and Roper's routes that have never seen a second ascent (i.e. Mount Logan, Hummingbird Ridge). I have read an electronic copy of the book, and its quite good. There is a sample chapter for free on his website. It covers peaks with climbing between class 3 to 5.7.

A direct link to the book is here - http://www.drdirtbag.com/scrambles/

Sean's list of climbing accomplishments are quite extensive, recently finishing up his long term goal of "day hiking" the hardest peaks in the lower 48 in 2017, setting several FKT's including the California 14er record in 62 hours back in 2012, and a successful trip ticking off 26 of the 4000m peaks in Europe solo in 2018. He has another book detailing the California 14ers (Similar to the Roach CO 14er book) that is also available on his website.

His website is drdirtbag.com if you'd like to read more. He's about to head down to Peru for the summer season if you'd like to follow along. He is selling the book directly and is a significant avenue of income for him, so consider supporting him and getting a fun book to read.
Keligonzalez
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 40 classics scrambles book

Post by Keligonzalez »

I love books like this, too bad I only just came across this post, are there any more books?
please recommend me something.
Calvinhorton
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Calvinhorton »

"Scramble: How agile strategy can build epic brands in record time" - you have to read it, or at least, its free book summary. I found out this scramble book after homework for my literature discipline. But this got up a new interest for me. By the way, I found the masterpiece on Amazon. On https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/bullying/ you can find an explanation that when fate, God, and Sara's Episcopalian roommate bring these two Jewish women together, each must question what indeed matters, what they indeed want- and what they're willing to do to get it. I just recommend reading this masterpiece.
Last edited by Calvinhorton on Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Calvinhorton wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:36 pm "Scramble: How agile strategy can build epic brands in record time" - you have to read it. I found out this scramble book after homework for my literature discipline. But this got up a new interest for me. By the way, I found the masterpiece on Amazon.
The 2 instances of scrambling being mentioned here (by the OP and Calvinhorton) are not related, just to be clear for anyone looking for climbing lit. While I'm not sure that the Scramble/Agile/Branding book is directly related to Agile Project Management, it does appear to be more about alternative approaches to business acumen. But pretty sure 3rd, 4th... 'scrambling' on rocks is not the intent, or subject. Looks like a good book though. Let me know if I missed something.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

^^^ Right-o, that's almost as good as the famous The Story about Ping book review on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/review/R2VDKZ4X1F992Q
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

cedica wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:51 am ^^^ Right-o, that's almost as good as the famous The Story about Ping book review on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/review/R2VDKZ4X1F992Q
😂

Thank you for reminding me of this classic bit of nerd-lore! "The Story About Ping has earned a place on my bookshelf, right between Stevens' Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment, and my dog-eared copy of Dante's seminal work on MS Windows, Inferno."