Wheeler Peak (NM)/Humphreys Peak (AZ)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jaymi
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Wheeler Peak (NM)/Humphreys Peak (AZ)

Post by Jaymi »

Hi everyone. I am considering giving Wheeler a shot tomorrow (Christmas Eve) via Williams Lake Trail. I have heard avy conditions are a risk to consider in the winter there. If anyone has any info on current conditions, I would appreciate it.

If any one needs info on Humphreys Peak (AZ), just let me know because I hiked it on Saturday. Cheers!

Jay
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Wheeler Peak (NM)/Humphreys Peak (AZ)

Post by Bob Kocher »

I’m interested in your recent Humphreys info... thanks!
Jaymi
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaymi »

Hey Bob. Just pm'ed you. Enjoy! Jay
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Humphreys will be getting a lot of fresh snow this week fyi so check snow conditions and road conditions before you head out. Beautiful area though!
Woodie Hopper
13ers: 75
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

Anyone know what conditions are for Bull O' the Woods currently and/or other nearby higher peaks? Not considering Williams Lake due to avy exposure.

Thanks.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Not sure you'll find much in Taos right now due to shutdowns.
Woodie Hopper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

Yeah but I don't need anything except gas. Planned on being 100% self contained, so no hotels, sleeping in the car and all food and water in the car.

Bump for conditions? I think there might have been a recent snow, but unsure how much is new, and trail condition.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Woodie Hopper wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:48 pm I don't need anything. Planned on being 100% self contained, so no hotels, sleeping in the car and all food and water in the car.

Bump for conditions? I think there might have been a recent snow, but unsure how much is new, and trail condition.
I live in Santa Fe and we just got and inch or so from the last storm. I did Wheeler a couple weeks ago and conditions were fine (snowshoes in the trees and micro spikes in the basin) and can't imagine it's much different. FYI the Governor is issuing a stay at home order today, so I don't know what that will do to travel into the state. Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Woodie Hopper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

Richard,

I appreciate your local info- thank you!

Yes, I was concerned the travel window is closing and was hoping to get out tomorrow. Maybe it's not going to work out.

Woodie
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Woodie Hopper wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:00 pm Richard,

I appreciate your local info- thank you!

Yes, I was concerned the travel window is closing and was hoping to get out tomorrow. Maybe it's not going to work out.

Woodie
Not sure you can't travel in.They are encouraging people to stay at home, but say there's nothing wrong with hitting the trails in groups of five or less. I plan on hiking to keep from going insane. All non critical business are closed.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Woodie Hopper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

Well looks like I'm stuck. It will just make it even more special when it's ok to head down your way again! Thanks again for weighing in.

Woodie
Woodie Hopper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

Well, hopefully I can hike Wheeler next week. Bumping for current conditions- it would be good to know if snowshoes would be needed vs just micro spikes and an axe. If conditions are ok, I plan to head up early next week (maybe Humphreys too).