Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by Conor »

SnowAlien wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:37 am I've been curious about Park City. How does Park City compare to Summit county and resorts there to skiing Breck/ABasin?
I skied park city/canyons this year for the first time. I would say there is some nice terrain in park city. Especially if you ride the old lifts like jupiter. Mcconky and 9990 have some nice steep terrain as well. I had to drop the kids off at ski school and then pick them up, so I was only able to ski about 33k of vert that day, so I barely got over to 9990 to make one lap and then I had to head back over to get the kids. Of course, PCMR has 7300 acres and breck is like 2900. I would generally say Utah resorts have more steeper terrain. Of course, every where has something for everyone. If I was going to spend a couple mil on a place, I would rather have a nice true ski in/out place in the colony than I what the same would buy at breck/vail.

I've only skied breck 3x this year, twice with the kids. breck has some nice terrain, a lot you have to hike to which I don't really like. I don't really think their "double black" really deserves the hype, but that goes for all of colorado.

Again, I left my in laws at 645 and pulled into rockstar early bird (free!) parking at 745 @ PC. Compared to my 515 to 530 departures from Golden for Vail/Breck (I admittedly leave early as I would rather play cards with my kids than sit in traffic). As I mentioned earlier, we left my in laws at 8 and pulled into the snowbasin lot at 830. When I lived in holliday, I was 30 mins to alta. It's nice to live in and pay city prices and be so close. The alta snowfall is also nice - it was over 700" the year I skied there (average of 545").
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

My 2 cents....SLC front range peaks are better nearby vert. Better than Boulder dare I say? Well no, no flattys in SLC. But like Scott P said, steeper, or at least much more relief and still steep.

The sun blasted east facing exposure was my biggest gripe from a couple evening runs tho as opposed to the shady Front range of CO in the evening.

Conor wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 amI know a lot of dentists and doctors hete in the front range that were born and raised in utah, but "won't take the pay cut" for slc.
Thats interesting. And totally believable. Seems to me as a whole, the rugged mountainy (both dry and snowy) potential of SLC does beat Denver.

Plus theres Little Cottonwood canyon. As long as you on the front range schedule (ie weekday weekends) with a like minded partner of the same schedule both are pretty dang good, climbing and mountain wise. But SLC prob squeaks out the win in the end.
Last edited by FireOnTheMountain on Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

^50yr storm brah. Free willy chick and (crazy for) Swayze said so.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?