Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8123
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits41 winter13 
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by Scott P » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:20 pm

Jbrow327 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:34 am
cool. Thanks. Have you ever been on the dirt road that goes from coalville to the L corner of utah with Wyoming? That has some good views across the canyon that mirror lake highway runs through. Probably 13ers, but I dont know.
I have been on that road, but not for years. I believe you can see Tokewanna from that road.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
Conor
Posts: 971
Joined: 9/2/2014
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by Conor » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:39 pm

12ersRule wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:16 am
Oman wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am
There are big non-mountain differences. The brown cloud in SLC is worse than in Denver. Housing prices higher (worse) in Denver. Denver has much more and better theater, music, museums, pro sports, and restaurants (Los Carboncitos + El Taco de Mexico = Blue Iguana). For politics, SLC is a purple island in a red state; Denver is a blue island in a purple state.
Their skiing is better. However traffic getting to and on the mountain is starting to get obnoxious at Alta and Snowbird.

Beer - I think we've got 'em. Although, they have some decent spots.
Over christmas i asked my brother in law what time we were going to head out to go skiing. 8am. We parked 10 yards from the hill for free.

I would actually argue the theater in slc is better. At least on the non pro scene. Lots of good plays for $20 tix. Ive said it before, and I'll say it again, the mexican food in denver generally blows. If i have to read one more menu pimping their "house made green chili" that gets dumped all over everything I'm going to throw my $2 basket of chips across the restaurant.

On the other hand, red iguana is some the best "mexican" food ive had. And I've lived in texas and arizona.
User avatar
SchralpTheGnar
Posts: 1598
Joined: 2/26/2008
14ers:summits51 ski49 winter1 
13ers:summits28 ski21 
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by SchralpTheGnar » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:13 pm

For all their differences, Denver and Salt Lake City are the most similar of cities in this country, with the exception of St. Paul and Minneapolis.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8123
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits41 winter13 
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by Scott P » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm

Oman wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am
Housing prices higher (worse) in Denver.
I'm guessing that the reverse will be true sometime in the not so distant future.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
greenonion
Posts: 808
Joined: 10/4/2012
14ers:summits32 winter1 
13ers:summits1 

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by greenonion » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:55 am

Conor wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:39 pm
12ersRule wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:16 am
Oman wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am
There are big non-mountain differences. The brown cloud in SLC is worse than in Denver. Housing prices higher (worse) in Denver. Denver has much more and better theater, music, museums, pro sports, and restaurants (Los Carboncitos + El Taco de Mexico = Blue Iguana). For politics, SLC is a purple island in a red state; Denver is a blue island in a purple state.
Their skiing is better. However traffic getting to and on the mountain is starting to get obnoxious at Alta and Snowbird.

Beer - I think we've got 'em. Although, they have some decent spots.
Over christmas i asked my brother in law what time we were going to head out to go skiing. 8am. We parked 10 yards from the hill for free.

I would actually argue the theater in slc is better. At least on the non pro scene. Lots of good plays for $20 tix. Ive said it before, and I'll say it again, the mexican food in denver generally blows. If i have to read one more menu pimping their "house made green chili" that gets dumped all over everything I'm going to throw my $2 basket of chips across the restaurant.

On the other hand, red iguana is some the best "mexican" food ive had. And I've lived in texas and arizona.
I live here in SLC and agree with most of what folks are saying here while comparing mountain ranges. BUT!! Aside from Red Iguana, the Mexican food in SLC is OMG-bland. This valley/state ain't known for its food in general. Spicy here would be considered something like neapolitan ice cream.
A painter’s got a canvas. The writer’s got reams of empty paper. A musician has silence.

I’m all for a quiet life. I just didn’t get one.

...Keith Richards
User avatar
Conor
Posts: 971
Joined: 9/2/2014
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by Conor » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 am

Scott P wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm
Oman wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am
Housing prices higher (worse) in Denver.
I'm guessing that the reverse will be true sometime in the not so distant future.
I think it is a stretch to think so. I find a lot of the educated in slc are really good lawyers and accountants that have great experience but would rather live in slc for less pay and crappy benefits. I know a lot of dentists and doctors hete in the front range that were born and raised in utah, but "won't take the pay cut" for slc. I find a lot of the state to be fairly uneducated or into manual labor. Slc just doesnt have the jobs to support the housing prices it is seeing today. The nsa super computing is more or less a joke with very few jobs, adobe is a good thing, but it doesn't support everyone. Lots of part time call center jobs, but the pay is generally awful and benefits worse. Hence why i dont live there.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8123
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits41 winter13 
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by Scott P » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 am

Conor wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 am
Scott P wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 pm
Oman wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 am
Housing prices higher (worse) in Denver.
I'm guessing that the reverse will be true sometime in the not so distant future.
I think it is a stretch to think so. I find a lot of the educated in slc are really good lawyers and accountants that have great experience but would rather live in slc for less pay and crappy benefits. I know a lot of dentists and doctors hete in the front range that were born and raised in utah, but "won't take the pay cut" for slc. I find a lot of the state to be fairly uneducated or into manual labor. Slc just doesnt have the jobs to support the housing prices it is seeing today. The nsa super computing is more or less a joke with very few jobs, adobe is a good thing, but it doesn't support everyone. Lots of part time call center jobs, but the pay is generally awful and benefits worse. Hence why i dont live there.
The reason I predict that eventually SLC housing prices will be more than Denver's sometime in the future is because Denver is out on the plains and has a lot of room to spread out. Salt Lake City is surrounded by mountains on all sides except the northwest side, which has the Great Salt Lake. Eventually they are going to run out of land to build new houses on. The valley is filling up quick. Although it's still a ways off, once that happens, prices will continue to go up at a steep rate.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
SnowAlien
Posts: 1555
Joined: 11/4/2010
14ers:summits58 ski50 winter57 
13ers:summits476 ski82 winter18 
Trip Reports (101)
Contact:

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by SnowAlien » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:37 am

I've been curious about Park City. How does Park City compare to Summit county and resorts there to skiing Breck/ABasin?
User avatar
Oman
Posts: 1013
Joined: 10/4/2006
14ers:summits57 
Contact:

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by Oman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:41 am

Conor wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:39 pm


On the other hand, red iguana is some the best "mexican" food ive had. And I've lived in texas and arizona.
Forgive me, SLC eaters, for I have sinned. I mixed up Red Iguana with Blue Iguana. Red > blue, at least for these restaurants.
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8123
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers:summits51 winter16 
13ers:summits41 winter13 
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by Scott P » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:49 am

SnowAlien wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:37 am
I've been curious about Park City. How does Park City compare to Summit county and resorts there to skiing Breck/ABasin?
In Colorado, Park City is very similar to Steamboat Springs if you ski there. The terrain, scenery, snowfall, snow, and elevations are similar.

They even look almost the same. See the photo of each:

Image

Image

The biggest difference is that Park City is less than 30 minutes from the Salt Lake metro and Steamboat is a long way from any large metro area.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
SkaredShtles
Posts: 2050
Joined: 5/20/2013
14ers: List not added

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by SkaredShtles » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:42 am

SnowAlien wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:37 am
I've been curious about Park City. How does Park City compare to Summit county and resorts there to skiing Breck/ABasin?
I'd say Park $hitty and Breck are similarly crappy skiing.

NTTAWWT.
User avatar
SnowAlien
Posts: 1555
Joined: 11/4/2010
14ers:summits58 ski50 winter57 
13ers:summits476 ski82 winter18 
Trip Reports (101)
Contact:

Re: Slc vs denver mountains. Utah vs Colorado mountains.

Post by SnowAlien » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:03 pm

I like Breck skiing, I know I am weird. 8) Everybody knows it's flat, boring and crowded, nothing to look here, move on. I wonder if PC is similarly bad? :-k The only issue I've been having is a very long winter, especially like the last two. Maybe PC winter season is shorter, would be nice to see the sun once in awhile.
p.s. Thanks Scott!
Post Reply