Biggest change in elevation.

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Biggest change in elevation.

Post by Scott P »

martinleroux wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:54 am It depends what you mean by "base", which isn't a clearly-defined concept. Here's a very short list of rough estimates based on my own, arbitrary judgement as to what constitutes a "base":

Denali: 3,600m above the Kahiltna Glacier (9km distance)
Mt Blanc: 3,600m above Les Bossons (8km)
Mt Logan: 4,000m above the Seward Glacier (7km)
Mt St Elias: 4,500m above the Libby Glacier (7km)
Nanga Parbat: 4,500m above the Rupal Valley (4.5km)
It seems that those vase measurements above also say that HImalayan peaks have a greater rise than Denali.

The Rupal face of Nanga Parbat you mention isn't as high as some of the other, albeit less steep faces.

The Rakhiot Flank rises more than 23000 feet/7000 meters over 15 miles (25 kms). Denali can't match that, just like it can't match you measurements above.

Dhualagiri and Namcha Barwa also have huge rises.

Namcha Barwa rises about 22,300 /6800 meters feet in ~six miles (10.5 kms). Denali doesn't come close to this, though it still has an impressive rise.

Outside the greater Himalayan region though, Denali and St Elias do have the highest rises I know of. St Elias still does seem to beat out Denali though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultrarunningkid »

Cactus to Clouds in California gets you 10,500ft of vertical ascent in 14 miles one way going from the desert floor to the top of San Jacinto Peak.

In terms of pure, consistent elevation gain, there is not much that compares.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

ultrarunningkid wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:37 am Cactus to Clouds in California gets you 10,500ft of vertical ascent in 14 miles one way going from the desert floor to the top of San Jacinto Peak.

In terms of pure, consistent elevation gain, there is not much that compares.
Badwater Basin to Telescope Peak is 11.2k in 15-16 miles. Off trail for most of it but it's been done by many.